Re-loading

Z-man

Reaction score
I was just wondering if anyone thought it was worthwhile to reload their own shot or just buy off the shelf?  If you do reload, do you have a certain formula you use, any particular books you follow for your formula?  

thanks for the help

Fubar

Reaction score
fonesplicr  Check in the Guns and Ammo forum . I think you will find some info in there.             Fubar

orchardhills

Reaction score
My brother-in-law reloads for us so unfortunately I can't give his recipe off hand. I do know we figured out the cost for re-loading vs. store and we didn't find much of a difference. It came close to a savings of 50 cents a box if you reload. At 2 cents per shell we didn't figure it was worth it. I'm interested as to what others do.

You do get more shot and a hotter shell. Fun if you wanna hit every clay thrown up.

Z-man

Reaction score
Sorry about that Fubar, in my haste to get an answer I did not go to the proper area.  I'll repost over there.  Thanks for the proper direction.

gantley

Reaction score
Cost may or may not be the reason to reload.  I was shooting a lot of skeet and 5 stand.  I could not buy 1 1/8 oz 2 3/4 dram target loads at Wal-Mart.  Being a member of the local shotgun club (Pines Gun Club) I was able to take advntage of club discounts on IMR 700 X perpelent and 209 Win primers.  As for shot there was a major savings when a few of us ordered a ton (100 pound for me please...)  The wads were a find.  Some company in Gorgia has a generic AA wad that is cheep cheep and looks almost like a Win AA.  Cases were easy to come by at the local shooting ranges.  There is even a few gun shops that sell 250 or 500 cases at reasonable prices.  Just thing "uni-body" cases.  One set of load  components for several brands of cases - "uni-body" cases.  

As for equipment the MEC 600 Jr is the best for the money for a small time operation.  (I DO NOT recommend the cheep Lee shot shell reloader.  I do not find reloading 500 round with the Lee in one night possible)  A use press should be around $45 at the local pawn shop or gun shop.  If you buy a new or used MEC press, go the extent of getting a MEC Shot Shell reolading manual.  The MEC manual will give you specific load data that works with the MEC press and has great beginer information on Shot Shell reloading.    

Do you save money?  Well yes and no.  Get some of you hunting buddies together and roll the figures around.  And they can help pull the press lever too!

Well I have spilled my guts out on the subject in hopes of spreading the passion of reloading.

One last thought about reloading shot shells.  With the requirement of Steel Shot for duck hunting, shot shell reloading has lost a lot of apeal.  This has created a good supply of used equipment.  

Latest Posts

Top Bottom