Ready for Some Dove Hunting

Limited Out

Reaction score
I don't know about you guys, but I am passed ready for some serious dove hunting. How many days until the opener???????????

Sarghunter

Reaction score
I Am with you on That Limited can't wait to hear the Boom sticks singing to the Dovies, We are 69 days away, Personally my number is 67 folding in 2 days of pre Scouting

Let The GAMES get here FAST

Last edited:

quailman

Reaction score

My desert honey hole is looking promising again. The doves are everywhere and can shoot a limit daily. Will be out on opener. And most mornings before work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MariotheBarber

Reaction score
69 days? Hell yeah.. We can still use lead this year right? I think so, these regs are confusing sometimes..

Fredezee

Reaction score
EXCEPT, in all DFG properties, Wildlife areas and ecological reserves, 100% non lead ammo! Private property, USFS and BLM lands you're still good to go with lead for Dove and Quail

mischief209

Reaction score
Looks like it gonna be a descent year. Ive seen more then usual even just in town let alone the orchards. Dove season is one of the funniest thing to do all year, if not thee funniest.

quailman

Reaction score
Hard part with hunting with lead for quail is not shooting the rabbit that bust out of brush while quail hunting.

I hate steel shot, what are other non lead shells on the market

Limited Out

Reaction score
Maybe I am a bit of a trader here. I have been using steel to hunt Euros on state wildlife areas a lot since the ban went into effect July 1. I don't think there is a lot of difference between steel #7s and lead #7 1/2s. I been hunting these Euros on an average of twice a month during this timeframe. If I am not killing birds it is because my shot is off. I don't have any less fun killing them with steel.

solus

Reaction score
Ive been really tempted to shoot these euros around my house... is it legal to shoot them with a pellet gun? Its legal to shoot shotguns in my area.

quailman

Reaction score
Well you can still shoot quail with lead and not rabbits. My gsp hunts them both. I'm not a fan of steel shot so do anyone know how good tungsten or copper loads are compared to steel and lead. I know myself, if a rabbit jump out while quail hunting I will blast it will lead load just off 22 years of reaction. Looking to find an alternative to lead and steel.

MariotheBarber

Reaction score
Ive been really tempted to shoot these euros around my house... is it legal to shoot them with a pellet gun? Its legal to shoot shotguns in my area.
Probably not legal. But Ive eaten plenty of "backyard doves" that I got with my crosman pellet pistol..

Limited Out

Reaction score
Euros, the government says shoot all you want. When did the government start doing what was best for the hunting community? I am going to start shooting way less this year, say like 25 per hunt, or 100 shells which ever comes first. I think the hunting community might think about doing what it can to keep the population up. I like having a hunting license I can use year around. Invasive species, it think it is a big plus for the hunters. I hope they stay around for as long as I can shoulder my shotgun. It's never good to take all you can, something to think about!

solus

Reaction score
Well you can still shoot quail with lead and not rabbits. My gsp hunts them both. I'm not a fan of steel shot so do anyone know how good tungsten or copper loads are compared to steel and lead. I know myself, if a rabbit jump out while quail hunting I will blast it will lead load just off 22 years of reaction. Looking to find an alternative to lead and steel.

Copper plated i believe falls under lead shot. Maybe you should email them? If its legal then im swiitching to copper plated cause steel shotshot is too expensive. All though im pretty good with steel shot.

Stevehazard

Reaction score
Yep. They're considered invasive therefor not migratory and you can use pellets .177 and larger to take them. Lead is ok in air rifles also since they are not classified as a firearm.

Takeem26

Reaction score
im sorry but am i reading the regs wrong ? dosnt it say that u can only shoot lead at doves, quail etc. on licensed game clubs after july 1 ?

Sarghunter

Reaction score
Takeem, Hope this Helps

In April 2015, the Fish and Game Commission adopted CDFW’s proposed regulations, which will implement the nonlead requirement in the following three phases:

Phase 1 – Effective July 1, 2015, nonlead ammunition will be required when taking Nelson bighorn sheep and all wildlife on CDFW lands.
Phase 2 – Effective July 1, 2016, nonlead shot will be required when taking upland game birds with a shotgun, except for dove, quail, snipe, and any game birds taken on licensed game bird clubs. In addition, nonlead shot will be required when using a shotgun to take resident small game mammals, furbearing mammals, nongame mammals, nongame birds, and any wildlife for depredation purposes.
Phase 3 – Effective July 1, 2019, nonlead ammunition will be required when taking any wildlife with a firearm anywhere in California.
Existing restrictions on the use of lead ammunition in the California condor range remain in effect while implementation proceeds.
***** additional INFO ----- The regulation adopted earlier this year says that lead ammunition will be off limits for all hunting on Department of Fish and Wildlife-owned lands.

dblsmk

Reaction score
I don't mind shooting #7 steel for dove and quail but I'd like to see a source for Tungsten Matrix in 5 to 25 lb. quanities. No steel shot in my muzzle loader without shotcups and they are hard to find at any kind of affordable price and the cups don't work in my speed loaders. Besides, I don't need another wad to have to use.

Top Bottom