Ready for Some Dove Hunting

dblsmk

Reaction score
I went and took a look see at the places I like to hunt opening day. Barring a weather change, land postings, and disappearing stubble fields , it could be a great opener. The white wing were in good numbers and different sized. The same with morning dove. Euros were in good numbers, despite Limited's mission to dent the population on those invasive birds.

WrstQuailHntr

Reaction score
Warren, I hope you are a safe distance from the fire up here. The only spot that I have ever found around here for dove is most likely up in flames and will this be off limits during the dove season. Headed to Blythe for the last hunt with my baby sister before she goes off to college next year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

MOMAN

Reaction score
I also can't wait to blast some dove. I like your idea solus but I'm getting some of those plastic 30 cal ammo cans, I think they will work good and should hold at last 100 rounds loose. I would usually take two boxes with me into the field and then go back to my to my truck if I needed more. So I think this will work better. I can get the ammo cans a wally world for 4.88 each not a bad price. I also got some stickers to put on them so I don't have to guess what type of shells are in them. Also get them for 99 cents and free shipping. So to say I'm excited is an understatement.

cjack

Reaction score
Sounds good to me. Don't forget the brews. Go Longhorns !!!!
^^^^^^^^^

A little bit bummed that I will miss the opener, I will be returning from salmon fishing in Alaska on the 1st. Hope ya'll leave a few for me to blast on the 2nd!

Last edited:

Limited Out

Reaction score
It will definitely pay some dividends to do a bit of scouting, up until the opener, if you can find the time. I think I know where we'll be hunting on the opener, but we have a plan B & C. Lots of times you show up at your, little known, "Hot Spot" and every man and his dog is running around the place. It pays to have a fallback plan. It seems like the last two seasons the different species have been sticking to a particular area more. Growing up it was always a big deal to get a couple of Whitewings in your bag, so last opener we were real focused on shooting Whitewings. We found one area with almost 100% Whitewings and it was difficult to limit out. We shot our ten Whitewings quickly but getting the last five other species was a challenge. There were no Euros in this area. Long story short, it might pay to find an area that is holding all the species for the opener. Have a great opener and enjoy only what a Sept. 1st dove opener can provide.

dustin ray

Reaction score
Id rather have shot 50 rounds for 15 doves than not been able to hunt t all just get out there and have a good time a fanatics miss is just as fun as a kill our better laugh at your buddy for missing it all good

Limited Out

Reaction score
I am all for a hand up not a hand out on finding birds. I have drove, sweated, and spent to much time over the last 10 yrs scouting and putting data in my GPS to give this info up. We are taking a new guy next Saturday to hunt Euros at one of our hot spots and he may be wearing a grocery sack over his head for the last 5 miles. I have a couple of spots none of my hunting partners know about. It's not how many bullets you shoot, but how much fun you had. We do have some $1 bets going on all the time. What Pressure!!!!!!!

Last edited:

dustin ray

Reaction score
I take two guns dove hunting a single shot 410 i used when i was a kid and my dads old gun i can't hit crap with either one but there is a smile on my face the hole time

dblsmk

Reaction score
S x S 20 is fun. Make it black powder and you have a fun challenge which happens to be my favorite 'Dove' gun. If I could afford to invest in another dedicated fun firearm I'd go for a S x S flintlock fowler. Take into consideration the loading time, it take all morning to hammer a limit.

chiefen

Reaction score
You can still use lead for the most part until 7/1/19 in California. There is Lots of hunting outside the lead restricted areas. Choot' Em'
Phase 2 – Effective July 1, 2016, nonlead shot will be required when taking upland game birds with a shotgun, except for dove, quail, snipe, and any game birds taken on licensed game bird clubs.....no you can not hunt with lead anymore in california except on licensed bird clubs. Am i not right?

mischief209

Reaction score
Re read the part that says except doves,quail. All good till 2019

mischief209

Reaction score
Bass pro is haveing a dove sale going Aug 25-28. Good deal on some boxes of shells,mojos etc

chiefen

Reaction score
Ya re read it. It says nonlead required except if your hunting on a licensed gamebird club. So that means lead can be used only on licensed gamebird clubs like example rahagees and four winds, like the pay to hunt clubs. So if your on any other land like niland or mojave or bakersfield excetera, you need steel.

T F Coyote

Reaction score
It is fairly clear; the two parts are separate:
1) Lead is okay for dove, quail or snipe statewide (except DFW lands and federal reserves/refuges)...
2) In addition to those birds, any bird can be taken with lead on private clubs.

So we are still good to use lead in all the other areas--i.e., Blythe, Imperial Valley (except Wister), Bakersfield, etc.

Limited Out

Reaction score
I will be hunting a few Euros tomorrow and I will be shooting lead all day long. The above is correct, 2019.

chiefen

Reaction score
Ohh ok I guess now it kinda makes sense, just worded weird. Thanks for the info

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
i deleted the posts by luvtohunt55 aka 7mallards. Let us know if the jackass shows up again, hes been banned before. Thanks

pigeater

Reaction score
Any body want to take me under your wing and
will share the cost.
I do have everything( gun, license and good manner).
I am located in San Diego

Top Bottom