Ready for Some Dove Hunting

Limited Out

Reaction score
Good Manners, that would never fit in with the bunch I hunt with! Yesterday we were hunting Euros and someone left the windows down in my buddies truck which rapidly filled up with a ton of flies. He started complaining about all the flies, someone replied almost immediately that we just wanted him to feel like he was at his girlfriend's house!!!!!!!!!! the next thing was "you mean the cat lady". You might need to leave that qualification off.

pigeater

Reaction score
Look like I should take that one off :). what other quailifications should have?

uplandgb

Reaction score
Tim,

I think you will find your request to be a tall order.
I have a suggestion or what I did my first few trips out to the IV which is 5 hours from where I live but I now have many great areas to hunt there.

1.) Start off with the general area map that has designated hunting spots via the Imperial Valley Map that I believe is a sticky.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwiLjYuc78HOAhVJ7WMKHZq4B8sQFggqMAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.co.imperial.ca.us%2Fannouncements%2FPDFs%2FHUNTINGREGULATIONS.pdf&usg=AFQjCNHRuyhl6GzeR004JLiIIRquZ21E4Q&sig2=hKJcxofLkdRHLUGzMswQIg&bvm=bv.129422649,d.cGc
2.) learn google earth it is your friend.
3.) As you are around the general designated hunting areas I assure you you will hear plenty of gun fire from other areas.
4.) Drive Drive Drive drive around and look for places you think might be good
5.) go back to google earth and look around at places that are near the mapped areas

It took me and my brothers a couple trips out to the IV for not so good hunts before we narrowed it down and know good spots now and are confident our long drive will pay dividends.

Limited Out

Reaction score
Just to piggyback on the above, Here a few things I did.
1) Knowledge is your friend, by knowing where the birds are helps you build a network of hunting partners. I always have people to hunt with because they know we will be on the birds. Scout, drive, and glass lots of areas. Be an expert on knowing where the birds will be. This takes time and effort.
2) After you build up your knowledge base invite some people to hunt with you.
3) Volunteer to drive, if you don't drive on a particular hunt, chip in for gas or buy the guy that drives lunch or bring a lunch.
4) I try and make each hunt a team effort and see that everyone is successful in getting some birds. This might mean putting the guy that is not the best shot, in the best spot or letting him have the best side of a tree line. I also encourage the people in our group to callout which direction the birds are coming in from, this starts a trend where everyone is helping each other spot incoming birds.
5) Make sure you bring everything you need, plus a little extra in case someone runs out. Water, ammo, misc.
6) Pick up your empties and trash, if you hunt with me you won't be on the A-list if you don't.

KTKT70

Reaction score
Good info here. Nice to see the help that comes around here. I'm sure it would be a honor to hunt with some of y'all. Best way to learn the game is to play with the more experienced team.

pigeater

Reaction score
Thanks for the Good advice and info from Uplandgb and Limited out.
Last sunday I drove to IV. It was supper hot 115 and went to scout around.
saw the first spot and asked manager the permission. He was welcome to hunt in his property and thought I hit a gold mine.
There are couple hundred of birds hang around in this property.
After an hour shooting, Cop pulled by and gave a warning that i could not hunt in that property because it is inside city limited..
But the officer was nice enough to show me go down couple blocks to hunt where it is legal :)

Last edited:

Limited Out

Reaction score
We were down there Sat. it was mighty hot, well over 100 and real humid. Out of there by 10:30 and headed home. Keep building up your knowledge base just like this and you will have hunting partners all over the place. One thing I forgot to mention is that I still enjoy hunting by myself, no pressure organizing everything and making sure everyone gets a few birds. I use these days to focus on scouting and not so much hunting.

pigeater

Reaction score
Thanks for good advice Limited Out. Hopefully I will find hunting partner in this coming up open day.
Otherwise, I will do solo in this year.

uplandgb

Reaction score
Thanks for the Good advice and info from Uplandgb and Limited out.
Last sunday I drove to IV. It was supper hot 115 and went to scout around.
saw the first spot and asked manager the permission. He was welcome to hunt in his property and thought I hit a gold mine.
There are couple hundred of birds hang around in this property.
After an hour shooting, Cop pulled by and gave a warning that i could not hunt in that property because it is inside city limited..
But the officer was nice enough to show me go down couple blocks to hunt where it is legal :)
Love it

pigeater

Reaction score
Any one will let a new hunting partner to tag along on opening day ? :)

Last edited:

solus

Reaction score
I also can't wait to blast some dove. I like your idea solus but I'm getting some of those plastic 30 cal ammo cans, I think they will work good and should hold at last 100 rounds loose. I would usually take two boxes with me into the field and then go back to my to my truck if I needed more. So I think this will work better. I can get the ammo cans a wally world for 4.88 each not a bad price. I also got some stickers to put on them so I don't have to guess what type of shells are in them. Also get them for 99 cents and free shipping. So to say I'm excited is an understatement.
You mean like this one? Lol i dont like them bouncing around loose.
View attachment 88693

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
Looks like we lost some posts on the move to the new server. Please repost them if you can remember them lol.

solus

Reaction score
Any one will let a new hunting partner to tag along on opening day ? :)
If you lived closer ide invite you to go with us;we have an extra opening. But im getting ready to head out myself.

Top Bottom