Recommended arrow set up for recurve

Sporty

Reaction score
What do you guys think would be a good arrow set up for a 50# recurve. I have a 29" draw. Had my bow set up for this bout 7-8 years ago & looking to get back into it but forgot what my arrow and broad head weights were.:bag-on-head: Think I used 125 or 150 gr broadheads. Will prolly go with either aluminum or carbon arrows. Thanks!

Rotorhead

Reaction score
The best starting point is to look at the Easton shaft selection tool at Easton Archery | Shaft Selector. That said, here is what works for me.

You mentioned 29" draw - is that your true draw length or your arrow length? It could make a big difference, especially if you opt for the heavier 150 gr head.

I shoot 2 recurves (Bob Lee 60#@28" and Bear Grizzly 50#@28"). My arrows are 29.5" (nock inset to base of insert) both bows shoot 2117 shafts very well. According to the Easton shaft selection chart, the 2117 is a bit weak for the 60# draw, but it shoots very well. I fletch them up with four 4" feathers. I get great broadhead flight and I can't screw it up when nocking an arrow in the heat of the hunt.

I have not ventured into the carbons yet, so I can't help you there.

Good Luck!

Zbearclaw

Reaction score
I would only use a 125gr head if you are running a heavy insert. I am currently using 200gr heads and would consider that about mid range of the options for a hunting rig. I would like to eventually go to about 300grs up front but would have to go to a stiffer shaft.

I am currently shooting both a Black Widow PSAII #55 @27" and Ben Pearson Mach One a the same specs.

I am drawing closer to 27 1/2". My arrows are CE Heritage 250 @ 29" from nock groove to end of shaft. SHooting 200grs up front.

I wish I had gone with about a 28" CE Heritage 350 with 300grs up front.

There is another trad site where I found a great dynamic spine calculator. I didn't use it to tune my arrows, used bare shaft and broadheads, but it is great to take the arrows that work and find another arrow with a different head weight and length that has the same dynamic spine.

email me if you are interested in the link.

Zeke

gundogs

Reaction score
Different game different setup. Bear Griz. recurve 55lb at 28, I draw it 30.5 inches. All are on 33 inch shafts with 4 inch vanes.
Hogs I use 2219 arrows with 165 gr Zwickey 2 blade.
Deer 2512 small inserts and 100 gr. Muzzy 3 blade
Bear 2512 long inserts and 125 gr Thunderhead 3 blade.

PowDuck

Reaction score
2018 Legacys work real well in all my setups from 50# to 60#. I shoot 30" arrow with 125gr heads on a 100gr steel insert.

Is it safe to assume feathers in trad archery?

Top Bottom