Recon outdoors talon cam update

steel

Reaction score
I returned a rifle scope to basspro last week for refund but had lost my receipt so had to get store credit. I looked around for something to buy and had looked at the Talon cam the week before so desided to give it a try. I have been running the cam for about 1 week now on a feeder site getting about 20-30 pics a day. So far so good I will list a few strong and weak points I have found for anyone interested. First the cameras feature's and controls are first rate and well designed. The 1.3 meg B/W images are very clear day and night the best comerical IR cam Pics I have seen. I still think the normall flash/color images digital camera set up takes clearer night pics,but these are good enough to print and show very good detail out to 35-40 feet at night and even better in day light.The cam triggers in about 3.5 to 4 seconds from my testing with a stop watch by triggering the PIR and waiting for the IR flash to go off . I guess this is normall for most wakeup and sleep digital camera from what I have read. It has a digital batt meter and it basicly has went from 9.2 to 8.9 volts the last week even after all the playing in set up mode I have done which takes alot more power. At this rate the batts should last 2-3 months which is very good there. I have not tried the moive video mode yet just still pics. I downed loaded new software into the camera from Recon over the net to improve the performance even more so if someone buys one check to see if you have the old software and update if needed. All new cameras shipping will be already updated I believe. What I like about the camera most is the IR. I have pics every mintue of the same deer feeding at my feeder no noise or flash they don't even know I getting their pics. Before with the 35mm and flash I was getting 5 pics a night same place I get around 30pics at this time. Second controls are great,batt life is great. Now what I don't like. First the trigger time, It is not going to cause me anyproblems at my feeder site but I wish it could be faster. The PIR seems not as strong as my other units but has been getting around 19ft at 75 to 80 degrees outside when I put my tape to it should be better this fall when it cools down more. Next the B/W images are very,very clear in daylight but I miss the pretty color images some. At night I think the Normall White flash is clearer than the IR led flash do to some glare you get from a IR system. Still my images are very clear,give great detail, and are good enought to print on my 4x6 photo printer. Overall I am happy with the unit I feel the IR system will never give the clarity of a 35mm or 1.3meg or higher digital unit at night using a standred flash but I feel the trade off is worth it for my use which is scouting and hunting. I am getting far more pics now at the same site with the talon and IR than the week before with my 35mm and flash. I am building and am almost finshed a plain digital/ flash homebrew at this time and will see how it does. Cost is going to be about $200 I think when all is said and done on it. My PIR range is alittle short(12ft) I am working on that problem at this time. It was easier to build than I thought it would be for my first time on the homebrew. I am going to try to build a homebrew IR cam next maybe in a month to compare to the talon I know it will not be as pretty or fancy but if it works well should be cheaper than buying one. I believe the talon is the best commerical built IR camera out there at this time if someone does not what to build the own homebrew. I could still make a few little improvements on the stronger PIR and faster trigger time but thats about all that could be done as everything else seems to work well giving you nice B/W images day or night at good ranges.Not as pretty as color images but every thing as a trade off.

steel

Reaction score
How do you add the review? I looked but could not find where I linked to add my review. I might just be tried and sleepy have eye.

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
There's a "Post A Review" link just to the left of the pic of the Talon. It's to the right of the name.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom