Record white bass at Table Rock

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
March 29, 2002

Charlie Farmer, Outdoors columnist, Springfield News-Leader

Record white bass at Table Rock

Jeff Harris, Christian County Conservation Agent, has confirmed a new record white bass. Harris reports that on March 19, Scott Flood of Hurley caught a white bass that weighed 5 pounds, 6 ounces. He was fishing from a boat at Bridgeport, near the boat ramp on Table Rock Lake.

Flood was fishing with his father-in-law. The two anglers saw sea gulls diving for shad and began throwing spoons into the surfacing shad. The fishermen caught 10 whites in a flurry of five minutes. Then the fish stopped biting.

The stringer of whites went from 3 to 5 pounds. One white bass was much larger that the others. Harris reported Scott does not fish much — maybe two or three times a year. He’s more of deer and turkey hunter. His father-in-law, Kenny, however, loves to fish. It was his idea to invite Scott on a fishing trip.

Later on in the day, Scott contacted MDC agent Harris. They found a certified scale in Clever. The fish was weighed at about 6:30 p.m., four hours after it was caught. Scott’s white bass beat the 22-year old Missouri record by 1 ounce.

Scott told me he and his father-and-law intended to fish for black bass that day. They started at 9 a.m. on a rainy Tuesday with very few anglers on the lake.

There was not much action that morning. Kenny caught one keeper crappie. It wasn’t until afternoon that they saw the gulls binging on threadfin shad.

For the next 30 minutes, they casted Kastmaster spoons. The gulls led them to a bonanza of 10 large white bass that took about five minutes to catch. Then, as quickly, the gulls, shad and whites disappeared.

Scott Flood, 27, will have a white bass in the record books. He also will have the fish mounted. I asked him if his record will give him more incentive to fish. “Probably not,” he said. “I can’t wait for spring turkey season and archery deer hunting in October.”

No doubt, Kenny deserves accolades himself. The “guide” got them into glory.

About ‘Molly’

Wayne Wallender from Rogersville loves to fish where big fish are biting. He writes: “I want to relate to you a recent experience I had while fishing at Lake Fork, Texas. I had gone to the lake knowing the trophy bass lake had been hit hard by the Largemouth Bass Virus.

“Unofficial reports given to me indicated few big fish were weighed in. Local businesses at Lake Fork have lobbied hard to eliminate the lake’s extreme slot limits of 16 to 24 inches.

“Thus far, the Texas Parks & Wildlife Division has not changed. In fact, the downturn really means this conservation move is needed even more.

“I submit to you that the turnaround is on the way and conservation programs kept in place do work!”

Wayne Wallender knows well. In his letter he sent a color shot of a fat-bellied black bass that he caught March 14, 2002, at Lake Fork, Texas. The fish weighed 13 pounds, 2 ounces. The fish measured 26 inches. He named the big bass, “Molly.”

Top Bottom