Recovery rate for arrow shot deer ?

AZ Jim

Reaction score
I was reading in the Hog Hunting forum under the subject "Method of Take" where member bayedsolid, made the comment "at least half the animals hit with a bow and arrow are lost" (see in hog hunting forum). I happen to disagree with that statement and wonder if there is any official statistical data that can prove or disprove his statement.

What do the rest of you bowhunters think ?

AZ Jim

SDHNTR

Reaction score
Only animal I've ever lost was shot with a rifle. Bum statement, IMO.

brut

Banned
Reaction score
Could probably make the same statement about rifle hunters. Weather you hunt with a gun or a bow it happens. Your job as a responsible hunter is to wait for the proper shot and practice with your weapon of choice so you can make a clean ethical kill.

Hunt Crazy In Ca

Reaction score
All I can say is that........ bayedsolid guy................ oviously DOES NOT bow hunt.......

socalkid

Reaction score
if you lose at least half of the animals you shoot with a bow you should NOT be bowhunting IMO.

upper

Reaction score
Great statement Socal,To bad more don't listen... Upper

Zbearclaw

Reaction score
Sounds like someone has issues.

State agencies wouldn't be able to keep authorizing bowhunts if the rate was anywhere near that level.

However I doubt true "statistical" data exists.

chap_dog48

Reaction score
I don't know of any article but let’s start some info fro those on this site.

I will put in some data from people I know that hunt as well as my families experiences.

Between me, my Dad, and Brother hunting with a rifle over 30 years of hunting we have killed and retrieved 50 deer +/-, during those years we have not recovered 3 deer that we drew blood on. Of those 3 deer that we drew blood on 1 of them was killed later in the day by someone else because we found the gut pile. Another one of them we saw 2 weeks later with a mild limp and later was killed in the season. The third was never recovered. So with my Dad hunting for 30 years, myself and 24, and with my brother 20, a total of 74 years of hunting we have lost 1 deer. Of the years we have hog hunted we have never lost one of those either. We have lost a few coyotes (2-3) in the past but we don't worry about recovery on those. This all with a rifle.

Now for bowhunting. I have bowhunted for 6 years and have not lost a single animal yet, though this year’s buck travels a few hundred yards and I was on him the whole time until I put one last arrow in him for good. But I know of several hunters I will use 3 that I have knowledge of statistics. These guys hunt deer, hogs, and elk. One of the guys has hunted for 20 years and has lost a total of 10 animals. Another has hunted for 14 years and has lost 4 animals. Another has hunted a total of 17 and has lost 3 animals. So with their combined info they have hunted for 51 years and have lost 17 animals.

I am not a bowhunting basher, I bowhunt. But using this info you can say there is some evidence to show bowhunting increase the chance of not recovering an animal. Now is this a small cross section of hunters, YOU BET. I know there are guys out there that have never lost an animal ever and those guys should be thrown in the statistics. There are guys on this site that I would say are great bowhunters and kill big animals all the time but they have informed us here that they lost an animal on a hunt.

I think any hunter is going to lose an animal every so often. I hope each does all they can to find it, but it will happen. Bowhunting is super hard and difficult. The variables go up in each situation. Whether it is WIND, RAIN, ANGLE, TWIGS, Misjudgment of distance, bowhunting success it low due to all of these. The same is with rifle but a rifle hunter for 0-100 has less of those variables to deal with than a bowhunter, IMHO. When I bowhunt I use the best equipment I can a practice just like with a rifle. I use a compound instead of traditional archery gear to lessen some of those variables, same with a rifle I shoot 180gr. out of a .300 mag at deer for the same reason. The less chance I have in knocking down and killing that animal the more the variable then have to be considered into why I did not recover that animal.

Look at this site for some answers we have seen picture of deer with arrows still stuck in them and living, we have heard guys talk about looking for an animal for 2 days, we have heard of animals traveling long distances after a shot. Seems like I am

I don't have an answer to all these different stories or those of all the rifle hunters, I will just say, if I am rifle hunting I am pretty confident that I will find the animal I shoot, and if I am bowhunting I am pretty confident I will find my animal, but I have just a little less confidence after a shot when an animal run off after I hit him with an arrow then when I hit him with a bullet. I don't like it when they run off.

Kurt

Winemiller

Reaction score
I have been hunting since 2002 and bowhunting since 2003 in the last 5 yrs i have lost 3 deer with the bow two i saw alive within the week bladed the deer walking with a slight limp. The other i found after the season i hit the deer almost perfect and i guess the holes got filled with the organs and closed i looked for the deer for a week and a half. It ended up going on a sprint and only bleeding for the first twenty yards in the snow so i could see the blood easily. I followed the tracks everywhere but with all the deer activity and crossing paths it was impossible to find. It ended up going 75 yards total but circled back behind my stand and died under laurel bushes. I would of found it because i passed it multiple times but im assuming that because where i found it that the large coyote population in the area got to it. The deer was inside the laurels outside of a den with my arrow inside the cavity caught on the opposite shoulder blade broken off. Some times no matter how hard you try you will lose one, but i believe ive made it up for the one lost. I have tracked over 5 deer that i followed blood trails on public land that have been gut shot deer and finished them off while the hunters that hit the deer where no where to be found

I wish no one ever loses a deer or any animal because it make your stomach sick. Good and safe hunting to all

richardoutwest

Reaction score
There will be bad hits in any type of method used, and game will get away from time to time.

However, the "anti's" will only focus on the one that got away.

In all the years of guiding, I still come across some EVERY YEAR that still does not know what the arrow and the blood on the arrow is telling them! The arrow and the blood tell the story of the hit and the approx time it will take the animal to die. Many archers are still out there that need educated on the "story"! If we all could understand the simple understanding of what the story is telling us, we may not push animals that have a bad hit and never recover them.

I just put two kids thru the hunter safety course and they never mentioned anything about this in the archery segment. I asked the instructors, "why"? I found out that they did not know either.

Hunt Crazy In Ca

Reaction score
are you ready....are you ready.....LETS GET IT ON!!!.......

Ill be in the back ground watching this one unfold...........

PORCH

Reaction score
Guys I think the thing that's being left out here is the hunters that do not care. They will take a shot at anything that moves. I think sometimes we forget about those guys. As much as we would all like to forget about them, they do factor into the overall success rate of bowhunters. Also how many stories never get told about losing an animal, some might not want to share that information. I do believe however that a skilled archer is very lethal and that is evidenced by some of the guys on this board. But not everybody out there is a ONETRACK or ARROWSLINGER or BOHNTR or BOWHNTR or SDHUNTER or BEARCLAW etc. If even the best bow hunters lose an animal every once in awhile, think about how many are being lost by the people who only pick up there bow during the season. I agree with Upper, Chap Dog had a good post.

Huntin Fool

Reaction score
Porch.....
I have lost a two animals all the times I have been hunting. One was a deer with a rifle and that was my own fault. The other was a pig with a rifle and I have no clue how I lost it, found blood and it just ran out... Not everyone is perfect, the way I look at it is you live and you learn...

BOHNTR

Reaction score
Just remember folks....in archery, not every animal wounded by an arrow will die. In fact, most do not. Those animals are a hell of a lot tougher than most people think.

Top Bottom