Reed Relay ?

VTBowHunter

Reaction score
I'm having trouble getting my relay to trip. I've checked and double checked all connections. Rereading Jesse's instructions on Reed Relays it says "If you use a reed relay you'll have to adapt the relay contacts to fit the Regent MS20 circuit board. See the pics below for where to hook the relay coil and closure contacts to". However I see no picture below. I've checked the relay alone and it's working fine. Can anyone tell me how to adapt the RS 275-232 relay for the MS 20 PIR.

I've been knocking my head against the wall for two day's now and I'm about ready to give up...

Please help.

Possum

Reaction score
Tinhorn, I think this is what I am trying to do.  If I remember right the 9 volt battery will not hurt the relay because the 9 volt current is filtered down to 6 volts, right?  Someone said that anything over 6 volts is wasted, right.  So I just need to follow your schematic to get the noiseless MS20.

Tinhorn

Reaction score
Possum,

You've probably looked at my long winded post in response to your questions already (havent' checked yet, to see if you responded)

but just wanted to mention the 9v battery on the MS20 will (by calc's) only last 15 days but 4 AA's will last 52 days.  These 2 sets of battery's are physically about the same size and price is comparable, I'd recommend AA's on the MS20

As far as using a 9v battery with a 5 volt relay.  In most cases, the battery voltage is reduced by the relay driver circuit a certain extent and if it's reduced to 6 volts, you'd not have any problems.  (you can measure it)  If it's over 7, I'd put in a dropping resistor, as described by my response on your other post to me.  The relay would be more reliable that way.

Tinhorn

VTBowHunter

Reaction score
I finally got it working. Thank you Tinhorn for the pictures. That did the trick. I took out all the parts that are not needed and reinstalled the relay the way you showed.

Again thank you. I don't have much hair left, but it works.

Top Bottom