Relay question

SIMPLEARKANSAN

Reaction score
UNDER RELAY SPST 1 AMP.  THERE IS A SPECIFIC ITEM NUMBER GIVEN.  IT IS RADIO SHACK# 275-005 SPECIFICALLY FOR THE MS20 CIRCUIT BOARD.  I LOOKED UP THAT ITEM NUMBER ON THE RADIO SHACK WEBSITE AND IT WAS NOT AN AVAILABLE ITEM.  CAN SOMEONE GIVE ME THE  6V, 9V AND 12V RELAY ITEM NUMBERS FOR RADIO SHACK(THAT FIT THE MS20).  THANKS

gizz

Reaction score
Not all items are available on the Radio Shack net site. The number I've been buying in the stores is 275-005a.

Richard Webb

Reaction score
Hi SIMPLEARKANSAN - If you will e-mail me your home address I will mail my Regent MS20 complete with RS 9 Volt Relay (275-005a) installed. It is ready to use, and was part of an experiment. However, I plan to keep the Ammo Can. The MS20 as it sits takes good pictures at night or in the shade, but I got 60 pictures without animals out of 3 rolls that totaled 75 when used in sunny western terrain.

Forgot to mention that I'll pay the postage. Hate to see my good work go to waste.

(Edited by Richard Webb at 9:55 pm on Aug. 3, 2001)

big tom

Reaction score
But Richard, your pictures in sunny terrain are so great!  Anyway, wouldn't it be really easy to wire in a photocell so the PIR only turns on at night?

Richard Webb

Reaction score
Hi big tom - My 5th Roll's sunny pictures show the strengths of the 49-425 while the sun was directly on it, and also the weakness of the Owl PF having its automatic functions blocked.  BTW, I tested the MS20 in another ammo can, and hung it on the same 2 nails that the 49-425 was hanging on during the 4th & 5th Roll. It would be a waste of time to continue on with the MS20, but I do agree that with the large battery bank that I was using would support a dusk to dawn light sensor.

gizz

Reaction score
Not sure why all the MS20 bashing. I have 8 cams with the MS20 mounted and NEVER have had any problems like your mentioning. We have Sunny weather here in the East too. I've never had to mount a Furnace Thermostat to my MS20 and It's also 1/3 the price of the 49-425. As always Richard I don't want to start any debates. I've never used one of the RS sensors so I'm only going by the complaints I've read on here from of other users of the 49-425 sensor and component failure. Seems like the Lamson Holmes/GE 9volt sensor may be a good option as well since it's already wired and setup for 9volt battery. I'm sure it would have low current draw.

(Edited by gizz at 8:35 am on Aug. 4, 2001)

Richard Webb

Reaction score
gizz ..... a test is a test. Out west we also have problems with blowing sand. Wonder hwo those fresnal lens will hold up?

Tinhorn

Reaction score
Hi Guys!

I really can't complain about the MS20 either (as you all probably know by now)   I'm wondering if it's range is too great and picking up the Desert Mirage's  (RS range 25 or 30 feet,  MS 20's range 70 feet)  Like Gizz, I've never used the RS PIR so only guessing. I am completely satifisied with the MS 20 in my 8+ cams tho, and just bought 4 more MS20's.....

One thing I need to do is build Archy's "Refresh" timer for the PF, I noticed after a few days of non use, some of my Owl PF's won't snap a pix as quick as usuall, have to hold the button down for 4 seconds (or longer, on one of my cams   %&^$*%$)

Tinhorn

Richard Webb

Reaction score
Tinhorn - Yes, I have the RS 49-425 peeking through a small 5/8" hole, and pointing at a shady area that is only 14 feet away. I wouldn't offer to ship the MS20 to SIMPLEARKANSAN if I didn't think it would work in Arkansas. He had better hurry & pickup on it before you guys talk me into keeping it. :)

SIMPLEARKANSAN

Reaction score
RICHARD, I SENT YOU AN EMAIL EARLIER TODAY ~2:30 PM WITH MY HOME ADDRESS.  LET ME KNOW IF YOU DIDN'T RECEIVE IT.  THANKS

Richard Webb

Reaction score
Hi SIMPLEARKANSAN - My wife was on the computer all day (again), and the Post Office closed at 2PM. So, I have to wait until Monday morning. I had to snip the wires to remove the MS20 assembly from the Ammo Can, but I re-soldered them back together, so when you receive the thing it's all in work condition. The main switch has two positions, one for the walk light, and the other for the camera shutter. I hope that someone will jump in and give us some help with this, but at present there isn't a diode protecting the 9 volt battery snap. That means that if you touch the battery with the snap the wrong way it could fry the MS20.

My 6th Roll is a good preview of the unit, and the pictures were shot with the MS20 as is. You will notice that this is a very powerful PIR, and you will probably need gizz or tinhorn to help you get that thing fine tuned. In picture "6-2" the MS20 caught the deer well before it was under the brush in front of the camera. Also, the sun on that dry grass was enough to give a 10 false alarm pictures. The deer in picture "6-3" flared because of the noisy relay, and the MS20 was powerful enough to follow the deer up into the branches during the next two frames. In the last picture all you can see is the deer's black tail deep in the branches. That's a pretty powerful PIR, and would be good for long shots.

chadwright

Reaction score
Is there a relay made that will fit back in to the existing holes on the sensor board?  If so could someone tell me where I could find them.  I am looking at http://www.allelectronics.com and they have so many that it tends to confuse me.

Chad

chadwright

Reaction score
I found this one but I do not know if the pin layout is correct or if the specs are right.  Could someone let me know it this is right.

American Zettler # AZ8-1A-12DE. 12 Vdc, 1270 ohms. S.P.S.T. normally open contacts rated 3 Amps @ 120 Vac/2 Amps @ 30 Vdc. Miniature sealed relay for PC mounting. UL, CSA

Tinhorn

Reaction score
Chad

One of the Radio Shack relays are pin for pin the same except you have to cut off one of the pins (the normally closed  -n/c- contact pin)

I don't know the RS # but you should be able to see the relay when you drop by there, it's a 9v one, don't know if they have a 12 or not but seems like the others who used it had 12 volt units (I've never used one)

I've installed the 5v reed relay in an MS20, upside down with lead extensions going to the proper holes, you should be able to do the same with a 12 volt, they are a little more energy efficient and will save on battery juice.

photo of ms20 w/relay here:
http://content.communities.msn.com/JessesT...amp;PhotoID=623

Tinhorn

(Edited by Tinhorn at 4:58 pm on Oct. 2, 2001)

dharter

Reaction score
The last ms20 that I looked at had the following relay in it: Good Sky RUT-SS-124DM
The numbers mean different things.  You can go to ww.goodsky.com and see the specs for this relay that you will be replacing.  The dimaensions and pin out are also there.  If you had specifications for likely replacements, then you could pick the one with the right size.

Possum

Reaction score
I used the one from Radio Shack.  It is a 12V relay and you cut the extra pin off like Tinhorn said.  It is a square blue unit and I believe the RS number is on Jesse's page.

Dbworld

Reaction score
I just bought some relays from all electronics.  Some 12vdc relays and some 3-6 vdc reed relays.  The 12vdc were easy to figure out which are  the positive, negative, and 2 N.O. contacts.  I just touched wires until the relay clicked.  They are installed on the sensor and work great.  On  the reed relays is there anyway to tell which contacts are the positive / negative and N.O. contacts.   There is a "|" mark near one of the contacts if that helps?

Thanks you in advance.

(Edited by Dbworld at 9:08 am on Jan. 9, 2002)

Tinhorn

Reaction score
apparently nothing is marked, which is usuall for those relays,

If you have an OHMS meter, you can touch terminals till you see continuity (meter deflection), those would be the Coil terminals.  There is no +/- on most relay coils......

Could go on the internet and try to find the relay spec sheet using the numbers off the relay

On RS's the coil terminals are the 2 middle ones

Latest Posts

Top Bottom