Relay won't kick OUT

abedford

Reaction score
I'm just putting the finishing touches on my first Homebrew camera and have a sticky problem.  First, the design of my system is a little different than everybody elses due to available parts.  My motion detector triggers a relay that is fed to a DPDT switch - when switched one way, it sends 9V to the test LED, when the switch is the other way, the 9V is sent to a 9V relay that closes the circuit on my camera (and a timer).

Here's the problem:  when switched to the test light "mode", everything is perfect.  Relay clicks, LED turns on, time passes, relay clicks, LED turns off.  When switched to the camera "mode", things turn weird....

First, the camera takes a picture no problem.  Time passes, I can hear the first relay click, but the second relay (that closes the circuit to the camera) stays engaged.  It doesn't kick out - it continues to send power to the camera so it never resets to get ready to take another picture.  If I go back and disconnect (then reconnect) the 9V battery, everything resets and takes another picture and locks up again.

Any ideas?

Tinhorn

Reaction score
aBedford

1st, Welcome to the Board

2nd,  can you post a drawing of your setup, I'm not clear on how everything is hooked up and a pix is worth a 1000 words.  I've been away a few days or I would have asked earlier

Tinhorn

abedford

Reaction score
Thanks for the welcome.

Actually, I solved the funky relay problem since my previous post.  I got the unit to work fine in my house, but the camera would fail to take a picture when the ambient temp outside got below about 50 degrees (even though my event counter still counted away like crazy!).  I won't even go into details about THAT fiasco.

Long story short:  I pitched the previous PIR and picked up the Radio Shack unit described on these pages and the system is working like a champ.  The unit is in the field and working, though I haven't taken any pictures to get developed yet.

The Radio Shack unit is FAR easier to work with than the DiMango unit I had before.  I have a second unit on my bench as we speak.

Thanks for the response.  I'm sure I'll have more questions in the future.

Adam

Latest Posts

Top Bottom