Relocating to another state for work.

Rancho Loco

Banned
Reaction score
I've applied for a position (Construction Project Supervision) in another state. Suprisingly enough and defying all common sense, there's a bit of interest from the company..

I know there's some folks here who have relocated. Tips? Advice? What should I ask for in regards to relocation assistance? Family?

This is all new to me... We moved here from SoCal without kids, jobs and money 10 years ago, but this would be entirely different.

Thanks..

scottymack

Reaction score
I relocated to TN years ago took the wife and cat and drove 2000 miles it wasn't bad. I asked for assistance to move and the company covered my fuel, hotel and food across country. I had to pay for the movers so we split the cost. When we mved back I had to pay the cost.

paulc

Reaction score
I was self employed when I made my move so I was on my own.

In my previous employment if we relocated someone, sometimes we would pay for points on a house closing, and in some cases bought their previous home. Moving company, hotel. Really not sure what the company you may work for would be willing to do. Be sure it will be as little as possible.

If you are selling a house in CA right now, I suspect that is where your problems will be.

Speckmisser

Reaction score
What the hell is this? Where ya goin', Rancho?

Hope it's somewhere with good hunting. Like Colorado.

upper

Reaction score
Rancho can't tell you ,Hatchet might be on here
.That will probably get me some percentage,but you know that is funny I don't care who I am. Upper

foulshot

Reaction score
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Speckmisser @ Mar 6 2008, 09:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Hope it's somewhere with good hunting. Like Colorado.[/b]
Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

J/K RL......

And if it is Colorado, I'll buy the first round(if you are anywhere close to Denver).

I relocated a little over a year ago. Company was not paying for relocate, so it was on my own dime. We used ABF U-Pack, a lot cheaper than movers. If they offer assistance, what are the strings.

Don't be in a hurry to buy a house, get to know the areas. It took me a couple months to buy a place, but I'm very happy I did.

Buck-eye

Reaction score
RL,

I have moved 5 times in 6 years. I have experienced it so much, that I could write a book. If you get in a bind, shoot me an email. If you look at it from an adventure standpoint, you will enjoy 10x more.

Rancho Loco

Banned
Reaction score
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Speckmisser @ Mar 6 2008, 08:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
What the hell is this? Where ya goin', Rancho?

Hope it's somewhere with good hunting. Like Colorado.[/b]
Ummm..... Montana.

Many, many stars would have to line up for this to happen, and it's just in the beginning preliminary preliminary stages. Might have to work on a project out here first for them..Wife finding work there..Selling our house which is now upside down in value..Actually getting the balls to move away from California..

I'm just trying to get a handle on what to ask for if they do offer assistance.

Bucky, I learned a long time ago to not move away from something that's bad, but towards something that's good.

Buck-eye

Reaction score
Sounds like you are good to go then, and to a great place no less.
Pack your own stuff but pay to have it moved-saves money. If family can take it, drive - do not fly (you could catch Yellowstone along the way). Obviously, you'll need to hit the Cabela's Bargain Cave for more base layer clothing.
But, you will be in a sportman's paradise. Whitetail and muley's, lopes and elk, sheep and moose, pheasant and varmits. You'll never run out of things to shoot. Only downfall for you is Montana is as red as they come. Wear your CenCal clothing indoors. Most Montanan's are packin heat. They probably dont take too kindly to city folk - especially Santa Cruzians! :)

SDHNTR

Reaction score
There ain't no silly boy, hippy beer in Montana. You won't last.

SDHNTR

Reaction score
See, in Montana you won't be able to go to happy hour and check out dudes in lingerie either.

Zbearclaw

Reaction score
careful with the pack it yourself thing, we did it and there was a good bit of stuff that the boxes didn't look too damaged, but the stuff in it was demplished, despite good use of bubble wrap and such, and we had to eat it.

It also depnds on how much they want you, if this is really mutually beneficial, as in they really want you, then tell them to pack and move your stuff, fly the family, and pay for one last weekend at Tejon.

I would probably not drive my own stuff out there just because most "rentals" are waiting to fall apart, Uhaul and the like spend less per fifty vehicles than they should per one, also with kids I imagine you got enough crap to fill a few cargo ships.

Get them to at the least fly you and wifey, with or without kids, and check out the town. If you get there and wifey isn't happy, no one will be.

Good luck, Montana/Colorado/Wyoming/Oregon are where I should be, but the ball and chain doesn't blossom in weather above or below the 65deg line. And we all know it's cheaper to keep er'.

superduty

Reaction score
I wouldn't suggest placing a "NOR CAL" sticker on any of those goodoll boys back windows if I was you.

Good Luck leaving Cali, it's no easy task but in the end well worth it.

2rocky

Reaction score
I have often wondered the same thing Rancho. Seems like family moves hit a peak in June and July when kids are out of school. If a mover is in your budget, I have a friend I bowhunt with who is owns a Mayflower moving company. If you can get the potential employer to pick up the cost, then that is the way to go.

Play withthe cost of living calculators on the net. Some of the numbers might really surprise you!

Zbearclaw

Reaction score
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (2rocky @ Mar 7 2008, 09:22 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Play withthe cost of living calculators on the net. Some of the numbers might really surprise you![/b]
That's for sure.

Coming from Central Georgia to here I would have made 9% more than I did there but the addition costs of living were 21%, though I didn't stay in the same job.

Zbearclaw

Reaction score
Also before negotiating YOUR relocation package, if it gets that far, ask what their STANDARD relocation package is, then you know where to start the haggling. If they already offer moving expenses, house buy back and yada yada it would be a shame to ask for less money in order to get that.

My old man got transfered from SW GA to just south of Atlanta a number of years ago, they really wanted him so they sported the bill for everything, and although their house down south sold before the company had to purchase it, many of those transfered with him didn't and they bought quite a few.

Good luck, when we gonna dive for some sea snails?

BDB

Reaction score
I moved to CA from NYC with Bank of America. They paid the whole deal and 3 months corporate housing (including food budget during that time). It was a great package. A realestate agent picked us up every saturday morning and had places all lined up for us to view. Great way to go is a full relo with all the bells and whistles.

I am currently negotiating with my company (today actually) for my new relo package and it sure won't be as nice as BofA's unfortunately. They are much cheaper!

Oh and don't forget, if they pay for it, make sure they pay the taxes as well since you will be taxed on the relo they provide as a benefit so you get them to add in the tax costs up front so you can pay that to uncle sam next april.

Top Bottom