Remington Actions

jlostrander

Reaction score
I just wanted to know the basic action lengths for Rem. Model 700's?

I know there is a short action model and a long action mode. My question is there a magnum version for say 300 win. mags and 338 win mags?

Thanks.

jlostrander

Reaction score
I found an answer on another forum.

So, my next question is can someonw explain what a J-lock is?

It said the actions without the J-lock are more desirable. If so, what is it and what year approx. did they come about.

There is a short and a long action. A 300 win. mag just has a mag. bolt face and some magnums need a different magazine box. This is the basics I have found.

tmoniz

Banned
Reaction score
I believe the J-Lock was a security device designed by Remington to disable the Rifle.
It required a key of some sort.
A lot of folks pooh poohed it so I think it was discontinued.

Do you have a project based around the Rem 700?

jlostrander

Reaction score
I may buy one and was just wondering about this J-lock issue. I have found with a web search, that you can remove them with a replacement part that is not free, but doesn't cost a ton.

I am in genreal a savage person, but my go with a 700 on this next project which will be a larger rifle (maybe a 338) than my others. It is a long term project and I am just in the learning stage.

Rancho Loco

Banned
Reaction score
You can easily replace the J-lock with a couple of very nice units from Callahan or Gre-Tan..

I chose the Gre-Tan for my custom Model 7. It's a lot lighter, and the spring isn't all bound up like the factory rem unit. $80 and it took five minutes to replace.

BigSwad

Reaction score
I will only add that if you are looking for a large magnum round, that long action Remingtion is a tight squeeze. My buddy had a custom .375 H&H built at Remington. We had his and my CZ both out at the range. It was a tight squeeze for him to stick that round in as opposed to the CZ Safari Magnum I had where it was designed for a cartridge like that and had plenty of room. Just a thought.

Top Bottom