Remington M721 thru M700 safety issue

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
This safety issue with Remington centerfire rifles accidentally discharging is just now being made public. If you own one of these rifles please read about the problem and consider a new trigger to prevent the accidental discharge that has hurt and killed many people already.

From Jack Belk, gunsmith,

All Remington bolt action CF triggers from 1950 beginning with the Model 721 and 722 up through currently produced Model 700s and all the ones except the model 788 that have been made in the last 50 years (M600/660/600Mohawk/M7 etc) have the Walker System trigger which uses a "Flexibly mounted connector" that has been proven many many times to allow the rifles to fire without the trigger being pulled.

There are many deaths and serious injuries that have resulted.  It makes no difference if the trigger has been adjusted, altered, or maintained.  The fault is in the basic DESIGN.  It has to be replaced to fix the problem.  Any trigger that DOES NOT have the connector is much more safe than the Walker trigger. Timney, Shilen Jewel).

This information, while common knowledge to those that analyze customer complaints, has not been released to the public or Remington's own repair stations until now.

I first identified the problem in 1969 when a good friends father in law shot himself in the knee with a 722.  Its very easy to see and understand if you first know exactly how the trigger is designed to operate.

Sending a gun back to Remington results in another trigger just like the one you had.

=====================================

Here is Remington's safety bulletin about it http://www.remington.com/safety/reminder.htm

CBS 60 Minutes did an expose' on this problem and here is the

http://www.cbsnews.com/now/story/0,1597,269769-412,00.shtml

QEU

Reaction score
Though it has never discharged accidently on me, I want to get rid of mine after reading the articles. I was in the wood with a Remington M700 yesterday with my brother. Reselling it will only transfer the problem to next person. What should owners do? Thanks for the info Spectr17.

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
QEU, I would simply replace the trigger for $30.00. Problem solved.

huntducks

Reaction score
I feel like a a$$ for doing it, but last year haste overruled common sense, I put a loaded round into a 600 while reloading making sure bolt would close well it went off and I now have a groove in the side of my gun safe and a hole in my loading room wall, I COULD HAVE BEEN ALOT WORST, like thru my neighbors house, I have several Rem. 1-700, 4-600 1-md 7 they will stay in the safe for now.

kc

Reaction score
Jesse, Who has a $30 trigger for a M700 & what brand? The lowest price I saw on MidwayUSA is $62 for a Timney.

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
My error KC, it's been awhile since I've replaced a trigger. Thanks for the info on the price.

RanchRoper

Reaction score
Thanks for the info I was looking at buying a used one I found. I don't think I will be making that purchase.

bubba

Forever Hunting
Reaction score
Is Remington still producing rifles with these triggers? I was thinking about getting a Remington Titanium, but now I'm having second thoughts. I know replaciong the trigger would fix the problem, the the fact that Remington is not addressing the issue is totally irresponsible and I will not buy a Remingotn until they step up and fix it themselves.

Mel Carter

Reaction score
I bought a Remington 700 for my son last year for Xmas. After reading this post I called Remington to see what was up. The costomer services rep. that I talked to said the have had no reports of any issues regarding the guns going off accidentaly. They did say they had a case of a lady who accidentaly shot her son, the lady said the rifle just went off. Remington said they inspected this rifle and found the trigger to ge dirty and not oiled, this was what made it fire, not a faulty trigger. DO YOU BUY WHAT THEY SAY?

Mel

jbelk

Reaction score
mel--

There have been at LEAST 1500 WRITTEN complaints and at LEAST 50 law suits. The pitiful part is how many lives and permanent injuries that represents....all avoidable.

There are company documents recently made public and available that say exactly what the problem is and how it could be fixed dating back more than 50 years.

I'd like to know who you talked to. It might be interesting to call him back and ask for his statement in writing.

Augustis

Reaction score
Mel

I have stayed out of this until now but have been watching the posts here for some time now.

What has caught my attention this time was that *you* after reading this thread had enough concern about this condition and for the safety of your family to contact Remington Arms Service Dept. ( I Assume) to ask questions concerning your sons Model 700 rifle and this potential malfunction problem and they apparently did not share in your concern for the safety and well being of you as well as of your family members to tell you the truth, they are aware of other complaints involving allagations involving *Inadvertent Discharges* of M/700 rifles to what extent this info is shared with the employees at Remington I cannot say for sure.

I sent you some info lastnight via email to allow you to see the other side of the coin to allow you to make some *Educated* decissions concerning this issue.

You can take the info to the bank, or squander it for what it is worth to you the choice is yours now,*but* at leased you wont have to wait for your *Hindsight* to be 20/20 if in the event your sons M/700 does ever accidently discharge.

What counts here is, Potentially, How does it make *you* feel to know that someone is playing games (Stastictally) with your life as well as those of your family members? I would like to know the answer to that question?

MY ANSWER TO YOUR QUESTION IS: NO, I DONT BELEIVE THE ANSWER GIVEN YOU. BUT THEN AGAIN, I CAN DOCUMENT IT.

Augustis

MQ

Reaction score
I have been in the vicinity of 2 accidental discharges by Model 700s. Both times the people with the guns claimed that their fingers were not on the trigger, but both claimed they were checking their safety. These incidents were several years apart and now I know the reason. I am supposed to go deer hunting with both these guys in a couple weeks. I better let them know ASAP. Thanks for the info.....

Mel Carter

Reaction score
There's nothing I hate more than being lied to, and especially from a firearms manufacturer with a reputation like Remington. I'm going to write a letter to Remington stating my concerns and the discussion i had with someone at thier facility. I plan on spreading the word to everyone I know who owns a Remington or is thinking of purchasing one, DON'T! With all of the gun laws that are coming out, the last thing we need is a manufacturer who won't stand behind thier products when they are under the gun regarding complaints, especially when those complaints are regarding safety. This has totally got me ticked off. I know writing this letter won't do sqwat, but i'm curious if someone will respond. I'll let everyone know what happens.

To Augustis, Thank you for the information!!

Mel

Hntrjohn

Reaction score
To my knowlege all these "accidents" happened while these people took their gun "off safety". People need to rember were there gun is pointed. I know one of there happened when a mother was unloading her gun. At the other end was her son. I would hate to loose my son because of it.

Point the gun were it is safe dammit.

John

jbelk

Reaction score
Hey John,

Would you please tell us what a "safe" direction is for a gun that can go off anytime its loaded?

Fire on Safety Release (FSR) is only ONE problem with this mechanizm.

Don't fall for the idea its a shooters fault because he didnt know a gun was made with an unsafe design and/or parts. The manufacturer has responsibilities too.

Augustis

Reaction score
hntrjohn

Does a manufacture of *any* product that could be Potentially dangerous due to possible defect/inherent design problems unbenounced to the user have a *moral* obligation to correct the condition or warn the users of that product for the potential to injure or kill once they identify the condition/problem????

Would you like to know?

If you dont think so could you tell us why, please?

Augustis

bohunter7

Reaction score
Well I was just getting ready to buy a new rifle in Nov. Problem was, I couldnt decide between a Remington 700, or a Winchester M-70. Thanks to the info I've read here, the decision is easy, Im going with the Winchester. I know the Rem 700 has an easy fix, but if the company has been hiding this problem for so many years, what other safety problems might they be hiding!

Augustis

Reaction score
I changed my mind about the post but I sincerely hope and pray everybody has a productive and safe hunting season this year!

Hntrjohn

Reaction score
Maybe I hunt a little different than some of you.  I hunt big game with an empty chamber in my rifle. When I pheasant hunt with my over and under I carry it broke open. When I hunt with my pump it does have one in the chamber, but I keep the gun pointed up at all times.

John

doghouse95

Reaction score
I've read the data, and the posts in here, but I have to say that I have shot and worked on hundreds of Mdl 700's and never seen anything like all of this is talking about.

It makes me wonder if people are ajusting the triggers and they don't know what they are doing.

I'm not interested in putting anyone down, and I do believe there is a problem, I'm just not sure of its origin.

Top Bottom