Remote Control Help

gtk

Reaction score
This might be in the wrong forum, but I know's there are a lot smart electronic people in here.  Here's what I need to do, and I need to know if I can get these parts resonably at radio shack or somewhere.

I want to take a "robo-duck" that only has an "on/off" switch, and replace the switch with a "remote" switch, kinda like you unlock you car door with.  It doesn't have to have long range, I'd say 40  yards max.  Can you buy remote control switche's like that ?

TIA.

gtk

Reaction score
btt... this place is realy "screaming" now.   It wasn't long ago when your post would stay on the front page for a week or more

:back-to-the-top:

Archilochus

Reaction score
Hi gtk,
Sounds like an IR remote would not work well, as you probably would lose line-of-sight between Tx and Rx.

You might try something like the Radio Shack 'wireless doorbell' (~20US$) - but power consumption on the receiving side (duck) might be a problem - depends on what kind of batteries the thing has.

Brian

Inactive
Reaction score
I built one of these for a guy for a robo duck once out of a remote control toy car.  It runs at 27Mhz.

You have kind of an on/off control but you have to hold the button down to get it to work and Arch is right it is a power hog on the receiver end.

Don't know if he is still using it but you could try one of those.

gtk

Reaction score
Thanks guys.

this friend of mine has a robo-duck.  he wants to conserve the batteries by only turning it on when the ducks start working, and off when the ducks aren't.  bass pro has a remote control switch for $50.00  .  I figured I could find something cheaper from radio shack that would simply work a switch from about 40 yards or so, allowing him to turn his duck on/off.

thanks

Archilochus

Reaction score
Just had a real 'low-tech' solution....  Since it's fairly short range, how about some monofilament line and a push on / push off switch rig.  Tug the line once to turn on - again to turn off.  Could probably toss it together for 2 bucks or so.

Tominator

Reaction score
Take the cheap way out and run the switch to the end of about 60' of speaker wire and run it along the stake for robo duck, under the water, and ito your lap and turn it on and off as you see fit. Replace the existing switch with a jack and put a plug on the end of the  speaker wire and you can remove it for storage.
Tominator

gtk

Reaction score
Tominator... Now thats one of those, "Why didn't I think of that".  Simple and very effective.  It's still not as fun as being able to impress your buddies with your self-hacked rf-remote control...

THanks..

Tominator

Reaction score
Well why didn't you say so? In that case, use a push button switch and mount it to a small piece of wood and operate it with your foot while holding a tv remote and acting like you're using it, they'll never know the difference and you will be "The Man".
Tominator

Top Bottom