Removing outserts on carbons

IdahoElkandDeer

Reaction score
I have some carbon arrows for which I've glued up the outserts. For whatever reason some of the epoxy spilled over onto the threads on two of the arrows. I tried putting in field points on these two arrows but the threaded shank snapped before I had the point seated all the way. Needless to say I'm left with a good arrow with a bad outsert. Is there a way to remove the outsert without damaging the arrow? I see that replacement outserts are available, but how do you remove the old one?

in2blacktail

Reaction score
To remove the old snapped off portion of thread you can use an easy out.. Hardware stores have the kit..

In the future...if you ever meet resistance when screwing in a broadhead or a field tip, buy the tap.. Its so much easier..
I believe the thread size is an 8-32.
I have run into the same problem. You can go to your local hardware store and purchase a 8-32 cutting tap (2 or 3 or 4 flute) and run in through slowly by hand or an adjustable wrench to remove the glue (spillage) from the threads. It cleans out the debri nicely.. Just make sure when you start the tapping process by hand you don't cross thread, but pick up the exsisting thread.. Its really easy.. Keep it in your bow box for if it ever happens again.. Which it just might..
Happy hunting..

Latest Posts

Top Bottom