• The forum is now running on the Xenforo platform. The first time you log in here, you may have to reset your password by doing a password recovery. Your login info will be sent to the email you have listed on your account; please check your spam or junk folders if you don't see it in your inbox. If that address is invalid, obviously you won't get the email: In that case, use the contact form or the envelope icon at the top right of the header to send us your member name and a current valid email address.

Replacement .22 LR scope

eoats

Was just about to click "Buy" on a Nikon Prostaff 3-9 Rimfire for my .22LR (Marlin mdl 795).
This would be to replace a TruGlo 4x I've had for 18 months. An OK scope, but I'd like something with a focus adjustment and a closer view on the target so I don't have to lean over to the spotting scope to see the impacts. Mainly I just use the .22 at the range, but wouldn't mind going after some jacks.

Then noticed the Leapers UTG mentioned favorably in various posts and saving $50 would be nice - it is just a 22 after all. Maybe more since the Nikon doesn't include shipping & rings.

The BDC of the Nikon suits me fine, better for me than the clutter of the Mil-dot. Haven't had a chance to look through the Leapers UTG, but have sighted through a few Nikons when shopping earlier this year for my 30-06 (went with a Leupold 3-9 Rifleman on my Weatherby Vanguard).

So any love for the Leapers UTG?
Or anyone know a better value?

http://www.opticsplanet.com/nikon-prostaff-rimfire-3-9x40mm-riflescope-matte-w-bdc-150-reticle.html

http://www.opticsplanet.com/leapers-utg-1in-3-9x32-mil-dot-riflescope-with-22-rings.html

jbcaptain11

buy the best scope u can afford to last u forever i have a old leupold vx3 4mm 2.5 8 on a marlin mdl 60 very accurate ebay has some great deals and is more trustworthy than people think

eoats

No doubts about Leupolds, just that the little Marlin cost me less than $200 new and to top it with $250 worth of glass seems extravagant (even going over $100 has me feeling guilty). Since the .22LR has so much drop between 50 & 100 yards I'd like some references like the BDC of the Nikon or those of my Leupold Rifleman.

jbcaptain11

idk if the bdc will even work with a 22 best of luck the prostaff is nice for the cash and u can never spend to much on glass vs a rifle

eoats

Thank you all!

Just ordered the Nikon.

Now if I can just find some of the .22LR ammo I like ...

eoats

Have only used the CCI Mini Mag so far.
Picked up a few boxes of American Eagle by Federal. Hope they cycle through my Marlin 795.

eoats

A small shop in Petaluma had the American Eagle .22LR (High Velocity, 40 grain Solid).
Said the last box of CCI Mini Mags 'just walked out the store.' I suspect he saw the desperation in me & got $10 for each box of 50. He had at least another 10 boxes or so on the shelf & I would have bought more but didn't wan to encourage his pricing.
http://www.brownells.com/ammunition/rimfire-ammo/federal-american-eagle-solid-point-rimfire-ammunition-prod43063.aspx?avs|Cartridge_1=AFF_22 Long Rifle|AFF_22 Long Rifle
Usually I've gotten the CCI's for $8.50 per 100.

Looking online I see a wide range of reviews, but nothing very reassuring that these will shoot well and might not even bother with them when my new scope gets here.

eoats

Got the new Nikon 3x9 Rimfire on the Marlin 795.
Wow what a nice piece of glass to look through.
(I hate to say it looks maybe even better than the Leupold 3x9 on my 30-06.)
Bigger field of view and very clear compared to the old TruGlo 4x.

Tomorrow morning at the range should let me know if it was worth it.

7MMHunter

Hi eoats,
I'm curious how it went. I bought a marlin 925 from a friend of mine which has a a cheap ncstar scope on it. It shoots fine but at higher magnification the image is not as clear. Thanks.

catchdog

throw that ncstar scope on a bb gun and get some decent glass for your Marlin . The Prostaff is worth the money , very crisp clear glass .

jbcaptain11

hey marlins may be cheap but there is no doubt they are great guns my 39a wears iron sights cause they are dead on and my model 60 wears a vintage vx3 that i didnt nee on my 270 anymore

eoats

Good News. the Nikon x3-9 Rimfire BDC is a great improvement. Used the same rings as my old TruGlo x4 so mounting was a breeze.
There was only room on a 50yard lane, so I haven't had a chance to go out to 75 & 100 yards yet.
But the clear view of where I'm hitting at 50 made it the easiest zero-in ever. It was very nice not having to lean over to see where I was impacting the target, my spotting scope wasn't needed.

The worst part was that all I could find was some "American Eagle by Federal" which my gun does not like (and I feel ripped off by spending $8.50 per 50 rounds).
Now if I can get some good ammo to try out to 100 yards and see about those BDC circles. Also I hope my groups were because of the bad ammo ;)View attachment 78377

Last edited:

catchdog

its not the scope . its the ammo . when you find the ammo it likes your groups will be good . I like Marlins , all of them that I have shot, shot very well except one . The first rifle I bought was a Marlin model 60 back in 1975 . I was 10 and payed for it with paper rout money . That piece of crap would jamb up all the time and the trigger was so hard to pull you could not stay on target . I had friends that had the same rifle and they were fine .

eoats

Oh yeah, I know now that the Federal ammo isn't what my Marlin 795 likes.
I've fired about 400 rounds of the CCI Mini Mag with no problems.
Besides the groups being a little bigger, I had 5 or 6 casings that didn't fully eject & got caught by the bolt, as well as 7 or 8 that didn't go bang. Now I just got to work the phone a bit to track down some CCI before I go out again.

Trigger on this one is just ok. I've read about some Marlin trigger modifications that I might ask a gunsmith to try for me as there is a bit of slop. Also there is a scrape on the rear where the bolt handle goes back a bit too much that looks to be the Buffer ain't quite up to its job. Minor stuff.

eoats

Not too much to follow up with but really like the Nikon 3-9 scope. Even with my old eyes I can still see the hits at 75 yards. Zero'd the cross hairs at 50 yards and now getting used to the BDC at 75 yards. Can't wait to get some CCI MiniMag

Top Bottom