Repo or Real questions

clutchkiller

Reaction score
Okay, say you hook into a big monster and you want some thing to remember it by, do you have a reproduction made or go with a skin mount?

Why would you go with one method over the other?

Have you had both done, and witch do you like better?

Thanks for your answers.

fossilman

Reaction score
I,ve seen both,but that is a hard question to answer.I like them both,so it would have to be the work of the taxiderist,that would make me decide.

foulshot

Reaction score
Theres a place here in San Diego that does some VERY nice repos. After taking many pics, I think I would go with the reop for the long term.

coyotebandit

Reaction score
After having two fish mounted in the last 5 years, I would have to go with real, mostly just because they are much cheaper. I have not seen a repo yet that I couldn't tell it wasn't real either.

BrokenHorn

Reaction score
Skin mount. It has more meaning to me plus repos don't look real. At least not to me and the ones that I have seen.

This may be in the wrong section but I think to many people today are getting cought up in the "politicaly correct" thing to do. I couldn't care less what someone else will think if they see me keeping a nice fish. I eat them too!

Hook em' & Cook em'
Snuff em' & Stuff em'

wildlifedesigner

Reaction score
You cant beat a quality reproduction fish. A quality repo is made with a fresh fish and of course the craftsmans experience doing the job. Reasons for this is real fish shrink alot, scales shrink and the head / gills have a considerable amount of shrinkage which all has to be rebiult. A completed skin mounts head will be about 75% putty to rebuild these areas. Alot of taxidermist are using artificial heads to get by this. Real fish also will deteriorate, it is impossible to remove all the fats whithin the fishes skin and head, ecspecially on trout and salmon. If you ever looked at a skin mounted fish that has been mounted for a year or more you may see orangeish spots near the base of the fins, the body and of course head, this is the leftover oils coming out through the paint. When a skin mounted fish drys it will lose all color, which has to be airbrushed back to life. As far as cost some taxidermist charge more for a skin or repo, and then some are the same.

No matter what process you do always try to get a photo just after the fish has been caught, so the taxidermist can duplicate the colors.

coyotebandit

Reaction score
My trout has an artificial head, my bass is 100% real. Niether have lost any noticeable color, and my taxidermist has lifetime repair for free! (his lifetime!) I do however keep them out of the sun, and don't smoke. He claimed they should last 75-80 years before needing renovation if taken care of! Of course a repo should last much longer, they were 2x more $, maybe next time.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom