Report - Choppers April 2008

One Track

Reaction score
Nor Cal is totally devasted by So Cal. So much that Nor Cal was drinking So Cal beer.

[attachment=51215:Choppers...2008_001.jpg]

We drank like fish.

[attachment=51216:Dinner.jpg]

Attachments

One Track

Reaction score
Chopper's ranch is one of the most incredible places that I have been lucky enough to visit.

[attachment=51219:Choppers...2008_011.jpg]

I got real lucky and killed a hog with my bow.

[attachment=51220:Choppers...2008_013.jpg]

Attachments

One Track

Reaction score
The hog expired in a PO jungle. I know now that I am NOT allergic to PO.

[attachment=51221:Choppers...2008_012.jpg]

Pack frames were needed. (Note to self: Hindquaters weigh more than the head. Cut hog in half at least another four ribs back to balance out the loads.)

[attachment=51222:Choppers...2008_017.jpg]

Attachments

BOWUNTR

Reaction score
You are a killer. No matter where you go, you put it together. Congrats. Ed F

Zbearclaw

Reaction score
Great job bro, you are a hog bustin machine.

I don't think Jimmy Dean can get hogs on the ground with the regularity you can, I was there for the first with the bow right? I reckon I learned ya well.

I am kinda bummed as it appears I will never see Choppers place, I will just have to listen to your stories about it over the next twenty years, I can handle that.

SDHNTR

Reaction score
Don't go thinking you got out OK with no poison oak rash just yet. That stuff doesn't show up until about 5-8 days after exposure.

Glad to see that Rancho has wisened up.

Great pics, huge hog. Nice work. You are the freaking piggie bowkilling jedi master!

cam188

Reaction score
Brent you are the hog assasian. Thanks again for the meat it is at the proceesor as of this morning.

Man seeing those pics is making me miss the place already.

One Track

Reaction score
Wiggy G and I left San Diego at 3:30am. Joined Rancho Loco, Bodega, and Cam188 in Hollister. Chopper pulled up and we followed him to the ranch. "Wow" is all I can say. The ranch is beautiful, very green right now. The cabin is very nice and perched on top of a mountain with a 360 view. Perfect.

Hunting was tough. Wiggy G and I only saw five hogs for three full days. Those hogs were spotted before sun up and after sundown. It was 90 degrees on Saturday. The hogs were not playing out in the meadows like we all dream about. On Saturday afternoon, I asked Chopper to suggest a place that nobody liked to hunt because it's too nasty. He told me where to go, a place that nobody has ever hunted. Wiggy and I went into this hole and split up. Wiggy is hogless. I wanted him to kill first. I sent him down the shady side of the canyon thinking hogs would be on that side. I took the south facing side in hopes of spotting hogs for Wiggy. I was about 200 yards from the truck, 5 minutes into the hunt, when opportunity presented itself. I heard some cruching and glassed up a red hog with black spots, about a 100 yards away, coming at me in a gully to my left. I ranged a few logs in the gully. 23 and 30. The trail went between the two logs. I checked the wind with a puff of cornstarch. It was going down hill, but should miss the hog by 20 yds or so, and it did. He kept coming. I had about a 10 ft window where he would be broadside. When he stepped into the opening, I was hoping that he would stop. However, he continued on. I put my 20 about 6 inches forward of the sweet spot and squeezed. He bolted screaming the whole way. I hit him a little high and a little back. But, fifteen seconds later I heard the sweet sound of his last grunt and lots of sticks and branches breaking. I knew he had died and rolled to the bottom of poison oak hell. And, he did.

After the shot, I walked over to where I could see Wiggy G, a whole five yards. Wiggy was sidehilling about 100 yds cross canyon. I yelled, "I got one. Keep hunting. Stay near the bottom. Hunt 'til dark. Good luck." He waved and I went to look for blood.

After a 30 minute blood trailing exercise, I found him buried in the PO. I literally spent another 30 minutes clearing out a place to work on him. I made quick work of the guts and cut him in half. I skipped back to the truck, a total of 400 yards maybe. It was dark now. Wiggy came walking up and asked, "Did you see anything?"

"Huh?"

"Did you see anything?"

"Yah, I got one. I told you that"

"Bullshit."

"Dude, look at my pants. That's pig blood."

Anyways, we grabbed the pack frames and manned up. Actually 105 lbs uphill about killed me. I didn't realize I was so out of shape. Back at the ranch
Chopper gave me instruction on skinning a hog. We weighed the hog at 185. He was young boar. His tusks were maybe two inches exposed. He was certainly a redhead with black spots. Very cool color-phase hog, my first. His sheath was, and this is no lie, at least 1 1/4" inches thick. Chopper will back me on this. My Wac'em passed through both sides.

There were five of us and we had a great time. I was able to meet Bodega for the second time. He cooked up one of the best meals I have ever enyoyed. Also, he sent me home with a six pack of Duck Confit. Thank you for that. I also met CAM188 for the first time. He sent me home with his beautiful first ever self bow. Cam, words can not describe what that meant to me. Thank you.

Rancho, thank you for the invite. Wiggy and I had a blast. You are one hell of a squirrel hunter and a great friend. Would I wipe your butt if you didn't have any hands? I still don't know. Thank you for arranging this hunt. I had a super great weekend. Hope to see you soon.

Wiggy, I'm bummed that we couldn't put an arrow into another hog. But, I must say, you are a super stud in those bunhuggers.

[attachment=51225:Choppers...2008_030.jpg]

Attachments

snoopdogg

Reaction score
One-Track; did you have to???????????? Hahahhahaha..

Good story and nice pics. Thanks for not dragging the story out. Good looking fatty (the pig, the pig!)

bsbowhunter

Reaction score
Awesome Pig One Track! Congratulations! I hunted up there at Choppers a couple of years ago with a couple of buddies and we had a blast (2 pigs and a turkey). It's to bad we can't go back! At least that pig won't be terrorizing anyone anymore!

Arrowslinger

Banned
Reaction score
Sweet!!!.....well, except the half naked dude and the close up pics of Rancho...other than that, a big congrats!!

I will say this though, Brent's a killer.

Speckmisser

Reaction score
WOw

WOW

wow

I don't know what I can say. I can't believe what I just saw. I'm amazed and shocked and absolutely flabbergasted.

I'm at a loss.

I'm speechless.

I'm... well, I just can't believe it.

You got Rancho to drink that peewater?

Oh, nice hog too.

BOHNTR

Reaction score
OUTSTANDING story and photos Brent.....love the "dinner" table being the top of a broadhead target. Priceless!

Buck-eye

Reaction score
Rancho posing with his ground squirrel like he just hit the kill zone on Everest...thats funny.

Nice hunt story,and great kill my friend. Somehow you have a knack at finding pigs, either in the canyons-or the local bars- D'OH! Just kidding, bro. Although it is hard not to mention the matching ASAT outfits worn by you and Wiggy G.

Another new place, another pass through for the One Track. Dare I say, "en fuego?"

Rancho Loco

Banned
Reaction score
It was a great time.

Chopper up and admitted it was going to be tough hunting right off the bat, and it was. But I told him a little later that if there was just one pig left on that ranch, Brent would find it AND kill it. Dude's a hog magnet and murderer.

That curs lite ain't bad... Of course, that's because it was free.

It was good meeting Chris and Sol, and Brent G, who is a true squirrel killer. Wiggy had the manson eye stare going during the game of squirrel skins. Awesome food and great weather, hogs were just in too deep for me. I saw a big boar while driving, and pushed a few out of their beds at first light in the mornings. I know where they are, but it would take dynamite to blast them out of there. The ranch is gorgeous right now, and chopper was a great host.

Top Bottom