Report from Tejon Ranch turkey hunt

henriksson

Reaction score
Well, I am back now from the free turkey hunt at Tejon Ranch and I was going to give you a report. We were hunting the northern area and we met at the gate at 5 am on 4/17. That was myself, Chris from San Diego and our guide Cody. It was Chris' first turkey hunt and my second one. We started up in the hills towards the southeast and went to the first setup. It was a place where Cody knew there was turkey. We were at about 3600 ft elevation. He called and we could hear them gobble back. At the setup we could see the turkeys about 200 yards away in a meadow. There was a couple of gobblers with some hens. Cody started to try calling them in but the turkeys started going the other way, into the forest. We moved a bit further away, parallel to the direction they were taking and Cody tried again with similar results (ie no luck). We decided that either the toms wanted a blonde and Cody sounded like a brunette or else the hens were telling the toms "You have us, you don't need her". We went on to other areas. The next place we stopped we heard a gobbler way down in a canyon. Cody tried to call him towards us. The gobbler answered now and then but he didn't move any closer to us. I could swear that he was saying "You know where I am babe. You got wings. Use them!". Anyhow, we gave up on him too and headed for higher country.

So far the weather had been fairly nice, cool and some clouds, but mostly sunshine. Now it started clouding up. We went to sevaral places but the turkeys wouldn't answer. Eventually we came to one spot at around 4600 feet elevation where we heard a gobble in the forest. We went in and now it started snowing on us. Cody used a crow call as locator call and guided us to a place for a setup and started to try calling him in. The darn turkey answered now and then, sometimes he sounded loud and near and sometimes further away. We never got to see that guy and eventually we gave up and headed back to the car. On the way back Cody tried again and we could hear him but we could never really locate him and call him in.

At this point Chris and I had decided that all the toms only wanted blonds and Cody only could sound like a brunette. We headed now back to lower ground. It was getting close to noon time and we went to a hunting lodge on the property where they had snacks out for us. Cody tried the crow call again and got a response from the valley next to the lodge.

After snack time we headed down into the valley and Cody guided us into positiobn close to where that turkey was. This must have been a turkey of a different breed. Cody had barely started calling in the turkey when he came running in. "Shoot me, shoot me, shoot me, pretty pleeease". Chris gratiously granted his wish and shot him (I was on the wrong side of a bush). A nice shot on very close range, nearly took the head off. It was a jake with about 2-3" beard. We heard another turkey gobble after the shot but he took off with all the commotion  and Cody couldn't call him in. This was about 1:30 pm. This was basically the end of the hunting. Cody tried and tried to call in a turkey for me too, but they wouldn't even answer the crow call. He must have gone through every back road of that property without any further success and we finally called it a day when time was running out. Cody also told us that they have had a difficult time calling in turkeys this year which is similar to what I have read on this group.

Even so, it was a great day and the place is really pretty. We had fun and I did take a few pictures (including Chris and his bird) thagt I will post here when I get them back from the lab.

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
Congrats on the nice turkey henriksson. I enjoyed reading about your hunt. Did you save them wingbones? Jakes make great wingbone calls since their bones are smaller and higher pitched.                                    

wmidbrook

Reaction score
Well, if that's the case, I think I'm going to go get a jake tomorrow...or at least hope to :)

henriksson

Reaction score
Spectr17

Actually it wasn't me getting the turkey, it was Chris. I wasn't lucky this time. I hope to still be able to get out a weekend befor the season is over.

Top Bottom