Resize .458's to .452

BelchFire

I speak fluent Vise-Grip
Admin
Reaction score
What would happen if I resized some .458 diameter (that cast out to .460) with a .452 sizer? Would I seize something? It's a 330 Gr. hollowpoint mold.

The reason I ask isn't critical to the gun like it would be if I were loading them in cartridges. I'll be shooting them in sabots in a .50 muzzle loader. When I use sabots at .45 caliber, my only option is sized for .452's, which makes .458's tight. The sabot is plastic, and is fairly forgiving when loading, but it may effect accuracy in a positive note. I just don't want to destroy my sizer.

Have any of you ever tried it? What do you think would happen?

AMMOe

Reaction score
Belch: Lube them and run them through a Lee "push through" type sizer that mounts in your loading press. If runnning them into a .452 is tough, go to .454" first, then four-fifty-two. Good luck! ~AMMOe

jchrist1

Reaction score
BelchFire!Kids shure mess "myself" up!But you know ? My son josh poured 200 bullets for his 303 the other day.My son dan poured 100 for his 76254R.Now ,you want to ruin your sons for the girls?Take them hunting, shooting, fishing, loading,camping and ridin'. The girls will still catch them,but maybee not before it's too late.At least they will teach their kids what we taught them!This also will pass.Before you know it you will be able to buy that new toy soon ! Remember...Contentment with JOY is great gain.THATS BIBLE!Oh ya, Ammo shure does encourage me. HAVE AGREAT DAY MAN! AND GOD BLESS YOU AND YOURS!!!!

jchrist1

Reaction score
Sorry !I misspelled AMMOe. AMMOe? Is 32-40 an accurate round?Thinkin about goin rolling block or falling block.Apriciate your input !Thanks .The HAWK!I AM NOW POURING CAST BULLETS.You and belch seem like a welth of knowledge.THANKS TO BOTH OF YOU!!

BelchFire

I speak fluent Vise-Grip
Admin
Reaction score
J,

Andy is more than a wealth of information. Heck, he prolly wrote a lot of the wealth out there (on casting anyway). He's my go-to guy for all things retro like that.

But we haven't seen him in about two years; a big loss for us. I'll do all I can to help you out, but my "wealth" is very, very limited. Especially in casting. Start a new thread on the .32-20 and make your title very descriptive of what you're asking. There may be other aficionados out there who can help and just haven't chimed in yet.

jchrist1

Reaction score
HEY Belch ! Is AMMOe still alive? I hope so!I'd hate to think I met him too late.I realize that I come last after family is taken care of.The 32-40 will probably come later .I'm still experimenting with 223 and 308 cast lead bullets. Had any luck with these calibers in cast?We're thinkin about you AMMOe.Hope you're well. May the good LORD keep you!THANKS FOR THE COMEBACK Belch!Have a great day. HAWK.

BelchFire

I speak fluent Vise-Grip
Admin
Reaction score
AMMOe moved to Montana. I'm not sure, but I think Montana still pipes in sunshine so he may not even have dial-up where he lives. As far as I know, he was fine, just moved to a remote spot on the planet.

jchrist1

Reaction score
AMMOe is my hero!Montana !Like myfriendis410 said..some people make it happen!I'll bet AMMOe feels right at home in montana.myfriendis410!Ever try 223 or 308 in cast bullets?Does 1-12 twist work?If so...Got any loads you can pass on?Would be much appriciated.Or is big bore the way to go?Belch!What say you? You know... sometimes a guy just needs to disappear for a while.If things keep goin the way they're goin here in these here states,we might want to think down the same lines as AMMOe.Never know... might run into eachother in the hills some day.Could AMMOe be ahead of us on this?Something to think about. BE BLESSED MEN! THE HAWK!

BelchFire

I speak fluent Vise-Grip
Admin
Reaction score
Let's start a new thread for the .223 and .308 casting. The title on this one will be misleading if you ever want to go back and get some information from it. Likewise, other folks who might have good loads in those calibers might not consider clicking on a thread about .458's.

jchrist1

Reaction score
Great idea Belch!Check the new thread.Right above.458 thread!THANKS!

Top Bottom