• The forum is now running on the Xenforo platform. The first time you log in here, you may have to reset your password by doing a password recovery. Your login info will be sent to the email you have listed on your account; please check your spam or junk folders if you don't see it in your inbox. If that address is invalid, obviously you won't get the email: In that case, use the contact form or the envelope icon at the top right of the header to send us your member name and a current valid email address.

Retriever or Spincast

SoCalbowfisher05

Bin kinda quiet around here so lets get a little discussion going on.
What is everyone's preference on there bowfishing reel and why? Retrievers obviously use the safety slide, but if you use a spincast do you tie to the back of the arrow or use a slide and a pole extension? Fast Flight line, Monkey Wire, Dacron?

Just looking to get everyone's opinion not looking to start a debate haha

solus

I hate the spincast. If you ever used one you know why. I used the safety slide no matter what with the line that came with my retriever. Works great.

augnmike

Been using spinners tying to the back for the last five years, never go back to the retriever. The arrow enters the water so much smoother and the arrow is back in seconds. I have only shot an arrow twice in five years without the button pushed, both times the Monkey Wire snapped instantly. There is no need for slides with a spinner as the 150 to 200 lb test breaks in the event of failure. There is a great video on Bowfishing Country where they test and retest tied to the back failures.

The only thing I miss about the retriever is being able to gingerly hand line a large fish in that is not hit solidly, aside from that I don't miss it at all

SoCalbowfisher05

Now with tying to the back of the arrow Mike would it matter if u used an open or closed rest? I know u use the wave which is an open roller rest but what about my quick draw closed rest?

augnmike

Yes that is correct. I have had a bunch of spinners, I started with Ti20 reels, then I retrofitted those with tougher parts and loner screws, then I just said to heck with it and bought all Muzzy's.. Should have started with those to begin with.

SoCalbowfisher05

Nice ya I have a muzzy already that I got with some gift cards never used it yet but Ima order everything for it like the shoot thru rod and monkey wire and put it on my new bow then I'll be all set to go!!

Top Bottom