Retrieving delima

sdnative13

Reaction score
I have a 20 month old lab that I got around Jan. 1, 2020. Great retrieving instincts. Originally I bought the bumpers shown below to work with him in black/white. He was doing amazing with them, retrieving, everything I asked.
1588521832779.png (Picture 1)
Then I bought one of these:
1588521937173.png (Picture 2)
Big mistake. Don't get me wrong he does everything I ask of him when using them, he just will not under any circumstance retrieve the bumpers in the first pic. His whole body language changes. He becomes lethargic, almost non-compliant. As soon as I bring out the dokken dead fowl one he has instant energy, tail wags, etc.

Not that I plan to get into major competition with him but it is my understand in hunt test, the dogs have to pick up at least one bumper (blind retrieve) similar to the one in the first picture. Which is where my concern comes from.

Any advice to get him to pick up the first once would be greatly appreciated

Limited Out

Reaction score
I have a Lab I hunt with, I have taken a pretty passive approach with his dog. He'll retrieve everything I shoot over water or land. I will appreciate tips or pointers you pass along.

warren nelson

Reaction score
Might not like the feel of bumps on the the white bumper.
try him with another dog so it becames a game on who get it first then hold the other dog back so yours get to it first.
Try him with a smooth canvas ones.

jose562

Reaction score
attach a set of bird wings to the white bumper and teassed him with it. To get him going do a couple of tosses with the donken first and then do, the same with the white one. For whatever reason you added or changed the value of the white bumper compared to the donken one. Let us know, if he works for your dog, also tried to do these exercises in a diffrent place that you normally don't trained. Dogs are place oriented.

Neanderthal

Reaction score
Reminds me of when I was working with my pup. She didn't like to give up birds in the field at first, so I tried to get her to make an association that retrieving birds is just like the bumper. Used a frozen bird, a bumper with wings rubberbanded, and a plain bumper. Tossed the plain bumper, she retrieved. Tossed the winged bumper, she retrieved. Tossed the bird, she had to be coaxed to give it up. Tossed the bumper, and she just stared at it, like it no longer had any value compared to something with wings. She fetches the bumper no problem, but I haven't put it up against a bird since.

He'll come around, maybe don't use the Dokken pheasant for a while. Be enthusiastic and lots of praise.

sdnative13

Reaction score
So I decided to take a few steps back and review force fetch. He is starting to come around to the bumper

Latest Posts

Top Bottom