Retrieving photos from the field

dueber

Reaction score
I'm wondering how folks retrieve their digital photos from the field. Particularly those who have numerous cams set up. Do you exchange memory cards? Take a notebook computer and download? download to a PDA?

If I had one cam, I'd feel comfortable just swapping memory cards and bringing the data back home, but if(when) I have 6 cams out, then I need 12 memory cards if I'm going to swap cards. That sounds expensive.

Anyway, I'm real curious how you multiple cam folks retrieve your data.

Thanks

bat

Reaction score
I use spare memory cards. Just a suggestion but if you have multiple units set out try alternating when you check your cams. Do two this week, then two the next etc. if you are concerned with having to buy extra memory cards. Just a thought, bat

Stever

Reaction score
Let me know after you get it, it sounds almost to good to be true.

***PHIL***

Reaction score
I exchange the compact flash by another one on the spot. I use 64mb it's enough for few weeks.

headnurse

Banned
Reaction score
Guess I have to be the different one. A little research proved that the old Thinkpad 600 is still a very reliable and sturdy laptop and since businesses are trading in, computer stores are parting them out. With creative bidding and searching, one can be put together off ebay from about $150 on up, and if you get the faster processor and a bit more memory, they will run XP with no problem. This will allow me to walk from camera to camera, plug it in, upload, clear the card and move on. Then back to deer camp (no TV there for a card reader) to view the pictures on a 13" screen... not too bad. Then only the laptop comes home. No losing or mixing up those tiny cards, since I'd lose my head if it wasn't fastened on.

Anyone have any other 'different' ways of doing it?

I just hope I don't get too impatient and sit down on a hot deer trail to look at the darn things....

Christine

dueber

Reaction score
Now that's interesting.

How long does it take to download the photos from one cam to the laptop? and how big are your cards?

I was hoping to hear of someone doing this, because I see the value in being able to quickly view the photos while in the field so that you can move cams around if you need to. I will be using large cards since I can't get to the field very often, so I don't think it would be practicle to view that many photos from multiple cams by looking at them on the cams themselves. I'm thinking the laptop method may be right for me. Anyone else have experience doing this?

What about downloading to a handheld PDA? Has anyone heard of this being done?

Thanks for all the input.

W

wildebeast

I just swap card, and I sometimes place 6 to 8 cams in one area. But I don't get that many pics so I just use 8 mg card for the 380's but 64 for the 32's and 41's.

Can leave the sony's out for longer time, but will check to see pics, heck getting to old to wait any longer.

cliff

headnurse

Banned
Reaction score
You can't really give a time for uploading because that depends on too many factors(processor speed, memory, etc..) , but I know with XP I can plug the camera into any computer, when the window opens, choose 'open a folder to view files' then copy the folder to the desktop (drag and drop) quick and easy. Might take 30 sec to a couple of min to copy, but it's over and done. Then delete the files in the folder on the cam and you're ready to go again. I've currently got a 128mb in the cam set for a game cam but don't have it out yet so can't give an example. (Hunting property is up north and the man maintains the Boilers (aka 'Boilermaker') at the River Rouge (near Detroit) Ford plant... research the blow-ups, etc...search for 'Rouge Steel' or the like..... and you'll see why we are never sure when we can get away...) May be a bad thing to say, but even tho I'm building game cams and repairing auto's for the man and myself while he's working, I wait for him before I go up to the hunting property.... unless he asks me to go. I'll have to test it with the kids, dogs and cats and let you know....

JPinTX

Reaction score
I do a combination of swapping cards most of the time, but sometimes copying them to a laptop. Mostly I use the laptop if I suspect that I have a pig problem at a feeder area, so I can view the pics and then hunt that evening if the pigs are showing up in daylight.

A D-380 with a full 128 MB memory card takes close to 3 minutes to copy the pics to the laptop (new fast laptop), and takes over a minute and a half to erase the full 128 MB card.

bowman

Reaction score
Most of the time swap cards but my laptop isn't to far from me and I'll often check the card with my cardreader before leaving the area,might want to go back and move a camera especially a new setup

Latest Posts

Top Bottom