Riddle me this Spike vs Antlerless

BAJA

Reaction score
This is the first year I get an A-31 tag. According to the A-31 regulations it is a either sex tag.

According to the forked horn regulation subsection (c) reads spike bucks may not be taken.

According to subsection (b), a spike buck with points under three inches is considered an antlerless deer

To me it sounds that you can take a spike buck with points less than three inches.

Can someone give me there expert interpretation of this please. See forked horn and A-31 regulations below.

(26) A-31 (Los Angeles Archery Either-Sex Deer Hunt)

(A) Area: That portion of Los Angeles County within Zone D-11 (see subsection 360(a)(10)(A)).

(B) Season: The season for hunt A-31 (Los Angeles Archery Either-Sex Deer Hunt) shall open on the fourth Saturday in September and extend through December 31.

(C) Bag and Possession Limit: One either-sex deer (see subsection 351(b)) per tag.

CCR T14-351. Forked-Horn Buck, Antlerless and Either-Sex Deer Defined.

(a) Forked-Horn Buck Defined. For the purpose of these regulations a forked-horn buck is defined as a male deer having a branched antler on either side with the branch in the upper two-thirds of the antler. Eye guards or other bony projections on the lower one-third of the antler shall not be considered as points or branches.

(b) Antlerless Deer Defined. For the purpose of these regulations, antlerless deer are defined as female deer, fawns of either sex other than spotted fawns, and male deer with an un-branched antler on one or both sides which is not more than three inches in length.

(c) Either-Sex Deer Defined. For the purpose of these regulations, either-sex deer are defined asantlerless deer as described in Section 351 (b), or legal bucks that have two or more points in the upper two-thirds of either antler. Spike bucks may not be taken.

Last edited:

Brnsvllyjohn

Reaction score
The way I have always interpreted that is a spike with horns longer than 3 inches can NEVER be shot. I have only hunted antlerless seasons or forked horn seasons never had an either sex tag.

Revo2811

Reaction score
Take a measuring tape with you.
I used to get the a31 tag and yes
Under 3 " it's a shooter or a forked horn or doe. If you are not sure don't shoot could cost you

Man of few words

baco

Reaction score
When in doubt let them walk. But yes if both spikes are under 3 inches they are considered antlerless

Common Sense

Reaction score
My son filled a couple of doe tags with yearling bucks. Both had little spikes we couldn't see until the animal was dead. Since the longest spike was two inches, he was legal.

But it is okay to shoot spikes if you have a doe tag; just tell the GW that it is transgendered and thought it was a doe so according to our president it was legal game!

Last edited:

solus

Reaction score
Anything under 3" and not spotted. If there is spots its not legal to shoot

BAJA

Reaction score
Thank you guys for your help

Top Bottom