Ridgecrest chukar trapped and released in Nevada.

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
Ridgecrest chukar trapped and released in Nevada.

Jim Matthews Column 9/19/01

RIDGECREST -- Three mountain ranges in Nevada’s Clark and Lincoln counties received more than 450 chukar partridge that were trapped during Labor Day weekend at China Lake Naval Weapons Station near Ridgecrest. Working with the California Department of Fish and Game, Nevada Division of Wildlife biologists trapped the birds and transported them to Nevada for release. Also trapped were nearly 100 mountain quail, which are being held at Idaho State University in Pocatello for release in Elko County in the spring. Christy Signor, NDOW biologist, said she and members of the Clark County Wildlife Advisory Board released 100 chukar in the Gold Butte Mountain Range of Clark County. Release sites were at the south end of Mica Peak and west of Jumbo Peak.

More than 350 chukar were divided between release sites in the Seaman Range northeast of Hiko and the Burnt Springs Range west of Caliente. Both ranges are in Lincoln County. The mountain quail are being held over the winter months because research has shown that the highest survival rate for transplanted quail occurs when wild birds are released in the spring. Soon after their spring release, the birds will nest to produce offspring that are native to the area.

KID CREOLE

Reaction score
Why are they taking chukar from California when some areas of Nevada hold over 100 chukar per square mile

GOBBLEMASTER

Reaction score
doesn't seem like our chukar pop has been very good the past three years.  why would they be taking from an already deplenished pop?

QALHNTR

Reaction score
Do they still offer periodic hunts on the base?  I was under the impression that it's been off limits for years.

hronk

Reaction score
The White Mtn and Inyos in my area could sure use a bird transfusion....and only 100 mile from Ridgecrest.   What a waste.  Here we have Ca. hunters paying $100+ for a Nevada licence to hopefully someday get a chance to hunt our birds.  What did California hunters get out of the deal????....hronk

Fubar

Reaction score
We used to hunt on China Lake Naval Weapons station years ago and it was VERY good hunting for quail and Chukar. It is my understanding that the base commander will not allow the hunting now. It has been quite a few years since it has been open to the public. The birds are supposed to be thick all over the base. I hear (just a rumor) that they are all around the buildings and on the grass. If they only took 350 birds, that would be a drop in the bucket for how many are there on the base. I dont know why they would not transplant birds within our State. Maybe the DFG is scared of more lawsuits. The California Native Plant Protective Society and the Sierra Club threatened to sue the DFG for planting turkeys. The DFG had to do an environmential impact report and there havnt been turkey plants for years. Still waiting for the outcome on that. We have to remember though, if it werent for other states giving us some of their turkeys we wouldnt have any. The people in the states where the turkeys came from probably wondered why their DFG was giving away their turkeys. Usually when one state gives some game animals to another they get something in return, even if it is at a later date.             Fubar

KID CREOLE

Reaction score
Fubar,

Maybe they're trying to shake up the gene pool or something because there is NO shortage of chukar in Nevada.  Where are there 100 chukars per square mile in California?

Fubar

Reaction score
Kid  I really dont know. Just speculation. I know some of the turkeys in Cuyamaca State Park were trapped and sent to Nevada because the State Park wanted to kill them. They said turkeys are non-native to California and they didnt want them in the State Park. The DFG whould have liked to transplant them in CA, but because of the problems they are having in court, the turkeys had to be sent elsewhere. Maybe they are having the same problem with the Chukar. I would like to know also.           Fubar

Latest Posts

Top Bottom