Rifle Purchase Question?

7magHunter

Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I am no expert in gun prices but I found a nice used like new condition Remington 700 sps varmint no scope with the black synthetic stock and a what I believe is a parkersized finish in 308 Win caliber.
The price for this used gun is $525 + Cali tax and dros fees. I don't own a blue book but I think this model is pretty new not exactly sure.
Now honestly please tell me is this a great deal for California prices or about average. How much is it new in SoCal?

Last edited:

7magHunter

Reaction score
Thanks for the link but that is online prices, there's a $75 to $100 more for out of state gun transfer. Also there's shipping charges and I still have to pay for California sale tax, add all together and it would cost more.

I'm looking for someone that bought this gun here in SoCal that way I can compare the price for a used one.
This one is not the heavy barrel tactical model.

7magHunter

Reaction score
Thanks,
No luck getting it lower than $525, it's a consignment from a gun store the owner told me the price is as is no negotiable..:(
I've been to a couple of used gun stores and the prices are always firm on used guns. I guess they have no interest in selling, I think they like to keep the old guns on the rack for a few months for store decoration lol. I will wait for next Turners sale.

Why is getting so difficult to find hunting rifles on sale anymore? There used to be Ruger 77, Howas, Tikkas, Weatherby vanguards etc. What happen to the classic Remington 700 bdl and the Winchester model 70 with the wood stock finish?
Every sale I found here in SoCal is Ar rifles, glocks, savage and police tactical rifles and shotguns.
You can only get a classic hunting rifle special order at a regular price but they're never on sale.

By the way, anyone looking for a new never used in the box compound bow complete package I will trade for a good used rifle, legal transfer of course.
If anyone is interested look for my classified ads under G5 Quest compound bow for more info and photos.

gregr266

Reaction score
Got the same one a yr ago from turners for 550-575 don't remember exactly. Heavy for a walk around rifle but great for a bench gun and shots great.

7magHunter

Reaction score
Ok,
Thanks guys, the rifle defenely is overpriced for used condition.

Val

Reaction score
Have a look at Able Ammo on the web. Typically their prices are lower and no sales tax.

8steeltown

Reaction score
Look online at gun brokers. Make sure they're reputable. I'm in California and purchased my Ruger American 308 for $300 ($200 off MSRP) from Arkansas. With the scope and sling I bought on EBay, after tax, FHL fee, paperwork fee, I have a great shooter for $500. Might be worth some online searching....

slanttop357

Reaction score
Go to Big 5 the one by me has a lot of hunting rifles, all types and they put them on sale quite often, and its worth asking if you can get a discount on a gun, hell if its been sitting there for over a year maybe the manager can swing a deal.

dunderee

Reaction score
Did you ask if any work has been done, trigger action or bedding could be a steal.

mrjohn12

Reaction score
[FONT=&quot]I purchased a Rem 700 SPS Varmint in .308 last fall for my son. At 100 yds it shoots touching bullet holes with hand loaded Nosler Custom Competition 168 gr bullets. We only got to the nearest 1/2 gr of BLC-(2) powder and have not fine tuned the loads. He had to replace the stock with a B&C because the original stock flexed and would change the point of impact up to 2" at 100 yds from moving the rifle around. We did not try free floating the original stock. It only has two nubs at the front the supports the barrel from what I remember and should be real easy to free float. He took two deer last year at 300 yds with it. He has a 50 mm scope, I don't remember the brand but it has adjustable magnification on it. He also has a 20 MOA scope mount and a 6-9" Harris bipod on it. It weighs 13.2 lbs unloaded. When he went deer hunting, he only hunted about 100 yds from the truck. It is not something you would carry in the mountains or even very far.[/FONT]

Top Bottom