Rigor thoughts.

Barkoff

Reaction score
Being new to hunting, and after many had advised learning to bone and pack your deer out, I bought an older book on butchering game.

One of the points the author of this book made was that after field dressing that one should let the game hang for three or four hours before butchering in the field, let it hang until rigormortis has set in.

The author's thought was that butchering game before rigor would lead to tougher meat.....thoughts, experiences?

Do any of you field dress, and then bag your deer for three or four hours before butchering?...if not, what do you think of the authors opinion?

NCahuntinfool

Reaction score
Usually when I get a deer, I skin it clean it and then bag it and let it hang at least over night. alot of it depends on the temp. If it's hot out I look for a meat locker to store it in or I will quarter it up and put it on ice or in the refrigerator. I dont know if it makes it taste better or more tender but it does seem to be a little easier to process. My dad would allways let it hang so the meat got a good glaze over and then he would take it to the butcher (never processed it himself). I know by hanging it you get a glaze on the outside of the deer and it helps to keep it cool.

Orygun

Reaction score
In the fields, I'd cut it up as quickly as possible, especially if its hot or will get hot. Proper aging/curing/hanging will remedy most toughness issue as all your doing is encouraging a little meat decomposition.

Here's what goes through my mind after photos, congratulations, and field dressing: "Um, ok, now it's 4 miles back to the rig and it will be dark if I don't get moving soon. My advice, get or two under your belt before you start to worry about when to butcher. Unless it spoiled, just about any buck you shoot, cut up, and haul out by yourself is going to be the best tasting venison you've ever had.

Top Bottom