Rim fire caused by hunter's campfire. Another huge black eye for us.

easymoney

Reaction score
Amazing that a few idiots can cause such mayhem and give the majority a bad name...
IMHO, there will a time in the very near future, where no open fires allowed on public land. This will most likely include smoking, fuel stoves, campfires, warming fires and any vehicle that produces a spark. It looks as if babys need sitting and those who can't show common sense will have to take a class...

CaliJeephuntr

Reaction score
Correct me if i'm wrong or have something misplaced. But... It seems like there is an illogical loop here. California (states?) has done so much fire suppression over the years that the fuel these fires need builds up. So now when a fire happens (whether natural or man-made) in these places that have not burned for 30, 50, 100(?) years they have so much fuel that they rage out of control and devastate the land.

Seems to me the problem is only going to get worse with the size and amount of fires. Isn't a nice brush fire nature's way of helping the land and ecosystem? Or have the scientists forgot that and only see it as a bad thing?

So if they decide to outlaw any form of "fire" in campsites we are the ones shorted by the short-sightedness of the people who said lets suppress fires at all cost.

KTKT70

Reaction score
wow. I wonder what they will do to this guy. I know they threw the book at the tweeker lady that started the Johnson Dale fire up above Lake Isabella. Not sure she will ever pay of the bill ut at least they got her dumb ass. glad they got this guy also. so silly that people cant just take better care of the things we have.

db 183

Reaction score
Was deer season open there? What zone is that?

ltdann

Reaction score
Was deer season open there? What zone is that?
I was wondering the same thing. The article says where the fire started and I believe that's D-6. The rifle season doesn't open till the 3 rd week in Sept.

jerryt

Reaction score
D6 and it was opening weekend of Archery Season

jackrabbit

Reaction score
In my mind its like hunter safety in the field. We need to check others in the field if they act in an unsafe manner. Couple decades ago while hunting d-11, i was camped in the huge campground just west of wrightwood while there was a large fire to the east near where lytle creek flows from. Mid afternoon, when there was a brisk breeze coming up, and all the campsites had cooking fires going, a fire truck cruised the entire area making sure there were no potential threats of a 2nd fire to start.

Guy next to us had a quite large fire going and felt confident because he had a pump-up water fire extinguisher. Fire guy politely instructed him to reduce the size of the fire. Guy got all bent and got in fire guys face and pointed to his extinguisher. Fire guy got pissed and forced him to totally extinguish his fire, under threat of arrest. Fire was out.

Fire guy never even bothered the other dozen camps in our area that had smaller fires going.

When risks are high use common sense and restraint; otherwise restraint is likely to be imposed. Right now in my area sequoia nf is not issuing fire permits but campground fires are still ok. Sierra nf is still issuing fire permits but limiting non campsite fires to gas stoves if you have a fire permit. Snf restriction includes the higher elevations, not just below 6000 feet.

KTKT70

Reaction score
**The McNally Fire remains the largest Sequoia National Forest wildfire. **The blaze started July 21, 2002 at Road's End Resort, 16 miles north of Kernville. ** The blaze scorched 150,000 acres and racked up $148 million in firefighting and other costs.

redneck_trevor20

Reaction score
well from the report i herd yesterday on am640, it wasnt hunters but illegal pot growers....

Tuolumne

Reaction score
well from the report i herd yesterday on am640, it wasnt hunters but illegal pot growers....
Nope it's all over the news. here is a local report.

Tuolumne County, CA -- Forest Service officials say they know what started the 237-thousand plus acre Rim Fire.The Forest Service released the following statement this morning:Investigators from the U.S. Forest Service Law Enforcement & Investigations and Tuolumne County District Attorney's Office have determined the Rim Fire began when a hunter allowed an illegal fire to escape. There is no indication the hunter was involved with illegal marijuana cultivation on public lands and no marijuana cultivation sites were located near the origin of the fire. No arrests have been made at this time and the hunter's name is being withheld pending further investigation.The Rim Fire began Saturday, Aug. 17, 2013, on the Stanislaus National Forest near the area known as Jawbone Ridge. The fire has burned 237,341 acres and is 80 percent contained.

thewolfman

Reaction score
Has anybody ever ran into the pot growers???.I did once with my son as the guys were tending to the pots....it seems every yr I find a grow site with just trash everywhere...couple of yrs ago in A zone off of Cottonwood we had to run for our lives because some pot growers fire burned that area...messed up that hunting season

Orygun

Reaction score
Calijeep,

It's not the scientists. It started as fire suppression to save trees that were going to be logged. Which promoted the growth of even more trees/brush. In many places where this is a known issue, enviro groups sue to prevent any logging, including thinning projects. Fires is important and needed. In a healthy forest they do burn the undergrowth and smaller trees. The brush comes back really quickly in the form of highly nutritious food. Those fires are not as hot and dont burn the big tree crowns. Most of the woods are a complete mess. In places where 20-30 trees an acre might be more than enough you have 300+.

Unfortunately even controlled burns are impossible in some those places since they will just blow up. Thinning projects which include the harvest and sale of some marketable timber will reduce the fuel load. Burning can occur after that. Next time you are in the woods and find big old rotted stumps look around to see how far the next closest ones are. Then look how many trees are in between. To make the woods "normal" you need to get rid of just about all of them, one way or another. The Rim Fire is indeed a bad thing as far costs, lost property and danger to the public. The improvement on the overall habitat may end up a really good thing.

taxcollector

Reaction score
Spectre, with all due respect I think its a disservice to hunters to assume the USFS is accurate in their belief about the cause of the fire. Remember, these are the same idiots who used to regularly (not so long ago) blame hunters bullets when the lead projectile sparked against a rock, for causing fires. Even if the USFS allegations turn out to be true, you are wrong to assume at this point they are accurate.

Last edited:

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
Point taken taxcollector. Wouldn't surprise me a bit if it was a jackass hunter. Bout 20 years ago a local writer Richard Bean wrote about the San Gorgonio wilderness and the big deer there if you wanted to backpack up up to the treeline for them. D14 tag for those not local and a great wilderness hunt. Our normal camp at Fish Creek that fall had more than 50 camps and it only held 15 w permits. We had to camp down off the trail even though we had a camp permit. The drinking and hollering went well into the night and then some aholes lit a tree on fire with their huge bonfire. This was a no fire area to boot. The ranger was no where to be found and it got to the point where the hikers and regular hunters wanted to confront the drunken idiots but with everyone armed it wasn't the best option. SOme of the hikers just packed up and left in the middle of the night. Once they got the fire out we were serenaded the rest of the night by these idiots as they rolled huge boulders down the trail to hear them crash into trees down below. I hailed a local ham on my ham radio and had them call the sheriff before someone ended up dead. They couldn't get anyone up till the next morning when the drunken idiots had staggered off to hunt. We gave descriptions to the ranger and he went off to find them but I don't think they were ever held accountable.

The embarrassment was huge when facing the hikers, trying to explain all hunters were not like that was futile. The fire scarred tree is still there, a standing monument to us horrible hunters that I'm sure all the hikers point out as they camp or hike by.

But like others said, I'll wait for proof it was indeed hunters that started the fire. Wouldn't be the first wildland fire the press and antis tried to pin on hunters or shooters.

P.S. For you smokers who like to smoke in tinder dry duff while hunting, you really think stubbing out that smoke works 100% all the time?

P.P.S. The lost idjit hunter who lit the Cedar fire in San Diego was within earshot of the highway the helo crew said that found him. He was given probation. IMHO, that SOB should still be sitting rotting in jail for that stupidity.

Common Sense

Reaction score
IMHO, there will a time in the very near future, where no open fires allowed on public land.
The campfire that started the Rim fire was an illegal fire. This will just cause more complete closure of public lands during fire/hunting season as banning open fires didn't prevent the Rim Fire.

Last edited:

Mass-n-trash

Reaction score
Correct me if i'm wrong or have something misplaced. But... It seems like there is an illogical loop here. California (states?) has done so much fire suppression over the years that the fuel these fires need builds up. So now when a fire happens (whether natural or man-made) in these places that have not burned for 30, 50, 100(?) years they have so much fuel that they rage out of control and devastate the land.

Seems to me the problem is only going to get worse with the size and amount of fires. Isn't a nice brush fire nature's way of helping the land and ecosystem? Or have the scientists forgot that and only see it as a bad thing?

So if they decide to outlaw any form of "fire" in campsites we are the ones shorted by the short-sightedness of the people who said lets suppress fires at all cost.
+1

easymoney

Reaction score
The campfire that started the Rim fire was an illegal fire. This will just cause more complete closure of public lands during fire/hunting season as banning open fires didn't prevent the Rim Fire.
True, true...
My suspected outcome IMHO, will be started by the USFS habit of of over reaching and mandating after an event happens. Fire suppression in the name of the EPA and led by treehuggers has been SOP for decades. Today the fire service and USFS have taken a more open point of view on letting smaller or non man made fires burn if not threating property.
My concerns is once the roads are closed, once the edict comes down it will be next to impossible to reverse\ and it will be enforced on everyone, legal or not.

Calif_Mike

Reaction score
You know I'm not sure the USFS is accurate with their press release, either from ignorance or to promote other motives. I've hunted and worked in that area for a long, long time. Where that fire started I highly doubt anyone would be down in there hunting. Its at the bottom of a hole, its solid brush and its winter range for the deer not summer range. Now it being a pot grow I believe in that country, for all the reasons its not a good hunting area.

So how did they come up with the hunter story??? They bust some guy crawling out of the woods during the fire and ask him what he was doing in there... "Uh hunting sir". Who would admit they were growing pot?

rosss1897

Reaction score
i'm with mike on that one,i use to live in that area theres no sane hunter that would hunt that brush, and it a long walk from any road

Top Bottom