Rim fire caused by hunter's campfire. Another huge black eye for us.

m57jager

Reaction score
Correct me if i'm wrong or have something misplaced. But... It seems like there is an illogical loop here. California (states?) has done so much fire suppression over the years that the fuel these fires need builds up. So now when a fire happens (whether natural or man-made) in these places that have not burned for 30, 50, 100(?) years they have so much fuel that they rage out of control and devastate the land.

Seems to me the problem is only going to get worse with the size and amount of fires. Isn't a nice brush fire nature's way of helping the land and ecosystem? Or have the scientists forgot that and only see it as a bad thing?

So if they decide to outlaw any form of "fire" in campsites we are the ones shorted by the short-sightedness of the people who said lets suppress fires at all cost.
You are 100% correct sir. For years we put fires out cold and quick. We shut down logging forests for spotted owls, tree frogs and the spineless yellow bellied selfish entitled PETA and HS. Now we are left with forests packed with brush and timber and have increasingly more hot and dry summers. You can keep all the jackasses out of the forest you want but when lightning comes through the fires are going to continue. The real problem is mismanagement of our forests because of old ways and new bleeding heart ways of putting one small life of an owl in front of all others. That shut down jobs and cities like no other.

Last edited:

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
If it was a hunter that was in camp he's a camper then right and not a hunter? :bounce-aqua:

iforge03

Reaction score
they should give the guy that started it an award. that area needed to burn.

Tuolumne

Reaction score
they should give the guy that started it an award. that area needed to burn.
Fire came within a mile and a half of my home, they are foing line works behind my house on mount provo today as we speak, my family and I are affected by the smoke we've seen for nearly a month now. We basicly moved our whole house under an evac advisory.

"needed to burn" wonder if you'd feel the same way if it threatened everything you own?

Hikingwithguns

Reaction score
Well until the investigation is finished I am not making a judgement.

Forestry managers need to rethink things and use more controlled burns, grazing and mechanical removal to create healthy mosaics (though this admittedly gets tougher to do with socal chapparel). And we are seeing the results of a lack of forest management all over the state this year. I believe you all know where to hunt the next few years...

:smiley_beatin_horse

Last edited:

dchunter

Reaction score
Well until the investigation is finished I am not making a judgement.

I know forestry managers need to rethink things and use more controlled burns, grazing and mechanical removal to create healthy mosaics (though this admittedly gets tougher to do with socal chapparel). And we are seeing the results of a lack of forest management all over the state this year. That being said, I believe you all know where to hunt the next few years...
Oh man, I thought I was the only one thinking to hunt there next few yrs. ha ha!

m57jager

Reaction score
I'm sorry for you for how the fire has turned your lives upside down. It must drive you crazy. I've been on many of those big fires and it's always sad when people get displaced from the fire. Even worse when years of making a home goes up in flames or tragically people get caught in it and can't get out in time. Thank God your home is still standing. That would be extremely tough for me. However, I don't think iforge meant anything by it and I have to agree with him(not about the award,lol). The main reason our hunting, wildlife, and forest pale in comparison to out of state is our lack of proper forest management. Our forest in California are so overgrown and compacted that it's only going to keep getting worse unless we take a hard aggressive approach. Unfortunately, with the current economy I doubt that cleaning up our forests is top priority for those lawmakers that live in the city not worried about the outdoors. If it threatened everything I owned yes I'd still feel the same and I too live in a rural community where fires have burnt my fence posts. With a good clearance, and without a wood shake roof depending on topography things should be just fine no matter what fire comes through. It helps if neighbors follow the rules too keeping radiant heat down. Good luck with everything. I was coughing from the smoke driving home to Prather so I cant imagine what it's like there.

m57jager

Reaction score
What about putting goat herds in the chaparral. My goats will eat all ladder fuels down to nothing. Plus their feces is some of the best organic fertilizer feed that you can give plants just the way it is. No need for composting. The only worry would be cats, lion LOVE goats. Plus, the possibility of transferring diseases from goat to deer and vise versa being that they are very close relatives.

loner

Reaction score
Fire came within a mile and a half of my home, they are foing line works behind my house on mount provo today as we speak, my family and I are affected by the smoke we've seen for nearly a month now. We basicly moved our whole house under an evac advisory.

"needed to burn" wonder if you'd feel the same way if it threatened everything you own?
That area did need to burn just not like it has. Learn from the experience so when it happens again you will be better prepared. I have been though the Complex fire in 87 the Telegraph in 08 and the Motor fire in 11 and now the Rim fire every time I learn how to be better prepared. I have been in the MT. Provo area the last 4 days the smoke on that side of the fire is very very bad hopefully you guys will get some relief soon. Glad to get back home (SE side of the fire) were the smoke has been light.

Hikingwithguns

Reaction score
What about putting goat herds in the chaparral. My goats will eat all ladder fuels down to nothing. Plus their feces is some of the best organic fertilizer feed that you can give plants just the way it is. No need for composting. The only worry would be cats, lion LOVE goats. Plus, the possibility of transferring diseases from goat to deer and vise versa being that they are very close relatives.
Possibly, maybe with a guardian dog or two to keep the cats away. Do they eat chamise?

Advertisement

Top Bottom