Roaming dogpacks killing livestock, wildlife in N. Cal

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
May 01, 2002

SHOOT THE DOGS, RANCHERS TOLD

By MARTI TAYLOR, Red Bluff Daily News

FLOURNOY - The south county ranching community gathered this week to ask county officials what would be done about killer dogs. While no resolution was reached, one thing is certain: Canine hunting season is officially open in Tehama County.

Ranchers, parents and county officials met at Flournoy School to discuss the mounting problem of a roaming pack of dogs that have killed more than 30 head of cattle and countless sheep and wildlife in the south county.

District 4 supervisor Ross Turner, along with Tehama County Agricultural Commissioner Mark Black, Tehama County Sheriff's Department Agriculture Investigator Rich Davidson and Sheriff Clay Parker faced an audience of more than 40 persons asking that county officials "do something to get dogs under control, now!"

The officials took questions and comments from the audience in what Black called a "fact-finding mission" in order to craft a solution.

Flournoy resident Jeanie Thomas said more than 30 head of cattle have been recently injured or killed by dogs on south county farms, including on her own ranch. Thomas said $15,000 in property had been lost to the dogs. Several graphic photos were passed around the meeting to show the violence and nature of the attacks.

Turner reiterated his previous statements, that loose dogs threatening cattle be shot. "As an agricultural businessman, I empathize with ranchers. I speak as an individual and not a board representative when I say I wouldn't hesitate to drop those dogs. If an animal was threatening my livelihood, it would be the last sun-up they ever saw," said Turner.

Black concurred with Turner, advising ranchers to kill trespassing dogs that threaten or harass ranch animals. "The law protects you, it gives ranchers the direct authority to shoot animals threatening livestock," said Black.

Several other possible answers were laid out by Black, all "in infant stages of planning." Solutions included using TCSD's STARS program to take pictures of dogs in an effort to identify and cite their owners, using reserve or retired deputies to patrol and sweep ranches for packs of dogs and sweeping areas with a sniper in a helicopter.

Black also spoke about a federal predatory animal control program designed to help livestock owners that was previously rejected by Tehama County. The program, currently in operation in Glenn and Shasta counties, brings in federal animal control officers at the joint cost of the state, county and federal governments.

Black said the program was rejected several years ago after the county and ranchers could come to no agreement over who would pay the one-third county cost for the program.

Sheriff Parker and Davidson expressed the sheriff's department's willingness to assist. "This matter is clearly an animal control issue but the sheriff's department knows this is a reoccurring problem and we want to do what ever we can to help," said Davidson.

The dog issue had recently come to a head in Tehama County, earlier this month several ranchers and landowners confronted the Tehama County Board of Supervisors, presenting facts, pictures and demands that something be done about dogs in the south county. A group of half a dozen southern Tehama County ranchers and residents appeared before the board asking for "quick action" to assist with the serious problem.

In 1998 11-year-old Cody Fox of Rancho Tehama was mauled by dogs, suffering the loss of an arm and one of his ears. Earlier this year, 6-year-old Genoe Novach was attacked and killed by loose neighborhood dogs.

paulc

Reaction score
karstic.. great idea.. do you think those high pitch do whistles will work?? maybe you can bait them with doggy treats and chew toys...

MAC

Reaction score
you guys can dress me up in a cow suit to use as a decoy as long as i get the first shot.

Top Bottom