Robo-decoy blown out of proportion

shovelerslayer

Reaction score
Sorry folks,

I think everyone is blowing this robo-duck WAY out of proportion.  If someone only read the comments I see in the forum they would believe that with one of these mechanical wonders in hand you are guaranteed a limit of greenheads.  BULL!!

I do not own one ( they are too expensive for me), but I own a half dozen Jackites and several wigglers.  In a normal season I hunt from Lower Klamath to Merced and most places in between.  I hunt geese and ducks about 50 days a year and have been observing robo-ducks since they came out.  In this time I have come to the conclusion that you better ban ALL mechanical and kite type decoys if you ban the robo-duck.  They all basically are deadly in SOME situations.  In still clear days my wigglers make the rest of my decoys come to life and I watch ducks lock on to the ripples.  In windy days the Jackites come to life and draw in geese and ducks like a powerful magnet.  Ever saw a gooses reaction to the robo-decoy?  They seem to be terrified of them.  To me, the key to being successful in the duck blind is location, calling, and spread placement.  
I worry about habitat and nesting success, not who I might compete with.  One battery operated gizmo is not going to change that.  

Spec

Reaction score
Very true but is that all there is of the batt powered spinners 1 in the State looks like 10's of thousands now if every guy shot 2 more ducks per season with one how many birds would that be??? Say just for talking on the subject 20,000 birds no impact!! who you kidding LOL!!

MQ

Reaction score
I certainly haven't increased my average by 2 birds (or even 1 bird) with the moto.  I would trade the moto for location anytime. The right location WOULD give me an increase of 2 birds......

WingSetter

Reaction score
Slayer,

Are you saying they should ban anything that creates movement??.  Don't the wigglers you are talking about create movement (I watch ducks lock on the ripples) If the moto duck is going to be banned, than band anything that creates movement including the battery operated wiggler.  I say ban them all and lets see who the real hunters really are.  Just you your calling, shooting, and location (no movement) and see how many people shoot a limit without all the gadgets that make duck hunting eaiser. You, your call and the decoys.

Greenhead

Reaction score
My grandma used to say that if you jackite you would go blind. No wait, that was something else...

shovelerslayer

Reaction score
WingSetter,

If they dump the robo-duck I agree they should dump ALL mechanical decoys.  I don't think it is right to ban one and keep others.  Hard to enforce too.  I just don't see the robo's being that effective.  
I just feel some folks let personal bias get in the way.  I don't hunt with a spinning wing and probably never would, but I do not want to lose my other tools.  I do use wigglers, but I also have used jerk string decoys and even rocks to get movement in the spread.  I love being in the blind, but I am going to do whatever I can to get ducks in the decoys.  Last year I heard a lot of unsuccessful hunters blame it on those ?#*@ spinning wing decoys shooting all the ducks.  I blame it on them being lazy and poor hunters....

Grumpy

Reaction score
Thanks Clickdog!
I was reading it as Jack-ite,when I should of read it as Jac-kite.

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
I met a Jack once in a blind who wores tights. Bout the weirdest thing I've ever seen in a marsh. Bright electric green spandex tights. Lordy, they were tight fitting too. He was fine until he broke wind, then he had to work that bubble around the back of his leg and pinch it down to the cuff and out. The dog grew wise to him and always moved when he bent over to start the procedure. True story, swear.

WingSetter

Reaction score
Thanks Slayer,

But I have to tell you that the Motto Duck has, and did have an effect on duck hunting.  Before, this thing became ever so popular me, and my hunting buddies Kid Creole, and Whiety1 had tremendous success in the duck blind.  We would always be well over the refuge average and often had great hunt when other did not.  It was due to a lot of trial and error and as the years progress you become better at something that you have been doing for a long time.  Calling, decoy placement, shooting, and location also played a major role.  Just before the spinners became real pouplar, the better hunters often prevailed.  We found this out first hand on a hunt when a guy with a spinner set up next to us.  He sucked in every bird within a mile radious as bird after bird locked up to his spread.  We could'nt buy a duck that day.  It was the spinner that attracted all the birds as no one around him had one.  WE bought one to even out the playing field, as it seemed everyone had one, and the ducks seemed to be mesmorsied by the spinner.  We have witnessed, as I'm sure others have duck just stop in the air and just stare at this Motto Duck.  It made poor hunters who don't know what the hell there doing good  successful hunters.  I say simply ban them all and lets get back to the old ways and may the better hunter win.  

Latest Posts

Top Bottom