Rock Chuck hunting

Bishop

Banned
Reaction score
When I was growing up I used to read stories about rock chuck (yellow bellied marmots) huning.  In the last few years I've read about populations of rock chucks in the eastern sierra.  Sadly these stories have been about sightseeing tours, so I'm wondering if anyone still hunts them.

wildbirdhunter

Reaction score
NO but man does that sound like fun or what. I read stories of guys hunting woodchuck back east and see pics of thing.
I would think it would be almost like hunting really really big ground squirrels in the rocks.
WBH

SoCalTed

Reaction score
Believe me - they're there, but there busy camping in Yosemite!!!

I took this shot on my drive thru Yosemite to Lee Vining.

Little buggers were everywhere (outside of the Valley floor)

Frank

Forever Hunting
Reaction score
I am not aware of anyone that hunts them.  Over the years I have seen them up & down the Eastern side of the High Sierra's, but didn't pay much attention to them and were not over plentifull when I did see them if I remember right?!  Seemed almost tame, used to being around people. Guess I'll have to start paying more attention.

Off to Utah & Idaho very early tomorrow morning for about 10 days. No hunting, but rather some R&R and a little fishing. Night!

Frank

Eric Mayer

Reaction score
I used to but population declines and human encroachment took their toll in the areas I hunted.  Probably if you push north near Reno, or into the back-country you will find huntable populations (I won't give up my spots, but they are there).  

What I liked to do was carry a small center-fire and hike back so I could spot and stalk and have a nice day of shooting.  Not fast shooting like ground-squirrels, but relaxing with longer shots being the preferred targets.

Give it a couple of years of good snow and they will come back in better numbers.

Eric A. Mayer

Top Bottom