Rock Dove !

faith

Reaction score
Any buddy hunting them this time of year? Are they taking care of young right now and not in large flights right now? Or are they in the same pattern all year long?

I dont hunt them, but Im thinking about it to fill in till September 1st, noticed alot in the city, wondered if they are out where I normally see them while hunting other game? Like around dairy areas and such!

ilovesprig

Reaction score
Faith,

Rock doves breed year round. These were taken in Imperial Valley feed lots. Although, it is getting a little warm out there now......

Attachments

leftyhunter

Reaction score
Hi Faith,

Welcome to the wacky wonderful world of pigeon wacking. My son and I together have offed 30 plus. You are right most pigeons(by which I mean non-native rock doves from North Africa) if there not in urban areas they tend to live in or near dairies and roost under freeway underpass's in rural AG areas.Did you know that in Spain and Latin America there is a professional Circiut of "box shooting" where pigeon are catupulted in the air 5 feet and the shooter gets one shot at 30 yards away and then increasing distances? Checkout Crowbusters.com Skip Woody for more details. Every single champion pigeon shooter per Skip uses 71/2 shot and if I am not mistaken they use a modified choke. Believe it or not pigeon shooting is a big deal in the UK and they have their own forum including how to prepare them called ukpigeonwatch.com? While premium traploads are best Wallyworld has the best deal on 100 round bricks of 71/2 or 8 shot. You have to ask dairy owners first before you start shooting some will say yes some no some dairies have pigeons and some don't but if they don't they have a lot of brewersblack birds and starlings which you can shoot but boy that is a tough target.

Have Fun;
Leftyhunter

ilovesprig

Reaction score
Leftyhunter,

Live pigeon shoots are or were a big deal here too (cannons & box). Just very underground....
....... 7 1/2's and modified choke................

Attachments

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
When did the pidgeons shoots end. Mid 80s? That's the best I can remember.

ilovesprig

Reaction score
Jesse,

Without giving locations. Live pigeon shoots were still going on in SoCal in the mid-90's. The last shoots I remember were $25.00 per bird, plus side bets. I'll make some calls.

leftyhunter

Reaction score
Hi ilovespring,

Your boys did real well recovering pigeons my son and only recovered two the rest fell in the muck. My son and I once saw a big group of pigeons on the ground and I shoot at them and missed and they flew towards me and I missed but my son got one. Crows for sure are smarter my son only managed to kill a baby crow at on dairy all the other times the crows take off but the pigeons stay until some are flying no more. Were pigeon shoots outlawed?

Rick,

I am going to mail my app to join QU most likely I will be with the san Gabrial chapter since they are closest to me. Pigeons are rats with wing but they make fun practice targets and they are made out of protien so either dog or man can enjoy eating them.

Leftyhunter

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
I remember all the hoopla Steve and being at a turkey shoot or something and some protesters showed up, late 80s. They booed when the pidgeons were let loose and the pidgeons got whacked. Never thought nothing bad about it myself. DRiven pheasant hunt is almost the same thing without the cages.

howdy62

Reaction score
I have a client who tells me of pigeon shoots around this area (San Diego county), where you scored points as to where the pigeon fell after being released. This would have been around the 80's. Sound familar to anyone?

faith

Reaction score
Thanks for all the info Lefty and Ilovesprig, I ll start by seeking permission of the areas I have seen rock doves. I will post my failure or success.

Hendy64

Reaction score
i know a couple people in my area that are still active in these events and have told me how it works. there are 5 you need to rank at least i believe 3rd in 4 out of 5 events to ne accepted to nationals. its a big money game the winner can walk away with thousands all in cash.

leftyhunter

Reaction score
Hi Faith,

Have you blasted any pigeons yet? My son and I found a spot where the owner gave us some estate brand #6 shot after complaining that the cheap rounds at Wallyworld just wounded the pigeons. Based on an unscientific test my son was able to get a 30% kill ratio with the Winchester and Federal brand ammo sold in 100 round bricks for about $5.10 a box vs 27% with the Estate rounds. I hate the Charles Daley rounds which I got on sale at Big 5. Twice they jammed my 870 express even though i had the barrel throated. They also won't cycle in my Stoger semi-auto. They do kill birds and they function my old 870 wingmaster but I won't buy them again.

Is there an association for the pigeon shoots? My son with some practice might make it my sucess ratio now is about 9% so I don't see me quiting my job and shooting pigeons although it sounds like fun.

Leftyhunter

Hunt Crazy In Ca

Reaction score
Well I can promise you this, there still are plenty of live pigeon shoots all over. I use to shoot ALOT of coptitive trap and you just have to know the right people and you will get a invite......maybe. ow and yes you best be bingin you pocket book.....but yea you bring your a game you will be a rich man........ a......man...... i know has flow home with just over 73,000k in cash and shit him self the whole way home........ they are really cool shoots though.........

Hendy64

Reaction score
yeah someone said that the gentleman that won the nationals this year went home with like $87,000

faith

Reaction score
Lefty

Not yet! Side jobs have put things on hold temporarily, but will get out in about three weeks. Got to get the work while I can!

leftyhunter

Reaction score
Hi Huntcrazy,

If I had seven hundred and thirty thou (if I read the above figures right) I most likely would shat myself has well.My understanding on pigeon shoots is the shooter has to shoot a catapult borne pigeon at a specific range vs shooting in dairy's which is kind of challenging because the pigeons are all over the place and one has to be careful of workers and vehicles at the same time. There may be other places legal to shoot pigeons besides dairy's and cattle feed lots that hold lots of pigeon I just haven't seen them.

Faith check with the California dairy association and see if theres some dairy's within a reasonable driving distance that aren't right next to homes. Most dairy owners are happy to give permission be sure to get permission slips signed. Crowbuster.com has some good ones that you can down load. Hopefully you won't be a 9% shooter like me I can't think of a better way of practicing for the dove season.

Leftyhunter

AnewBigDaddyB

Reaction score
"rock dove" tad new to me! barn yard pigeon, etc. is more like it!

There is no legal season for them, as far as I know! Correct me if I'm wrong!

"Squab" are very young pigeon, and has been a food source for centuries!

I personally, have eaten pigeon, and yes, it's identical to dove, just larger! As is the Eurasion Collared Dove!

As far as making pigeon, "rock" street, backyard etc. a game bird? I've yet to realize this, unless, I just pass it by in the reg's each year?

Once "dove" season rolls around, there's "ALWAYS" been plenty of them for me not to waste my ammo on "barnyard" pigeons!

I'm sure it can be very enjoy full shooting, but, geez, in Ca. at least, we have three different species of dove that ARE bona-fide game birds, the Mourning Dove, White-Winged dove, and now the Eurasion Collared Dove, whoops!
Not to mention the turtle speckled neck dove?

So, what is it that makes one shoot at the "rock dove?"

Itchy trigger finger? Boredom? Impatience?

I once walked across a field at a local pheasant hunting club, that sponsered a "live pigeon shoot," which, I'm sure, all participating, had a memorable time, the bummer for me was, I walked upon a very large area, of dead "rock dove" left in the field to rot!

My first thought, was, whoa! Sure glad the animal rightest aren't here to view this slaughter!

Hunt Crazy In Ca

Reaction score
Leftyhunter, close but only 73,000 in cash im sure he wished it was a 173,000.......he probly would of had a heart attack!!!!
yes there is 5 boxes and you do not know what box is going to go off, you ask if the "controler" is ready if he is he will reply ready, he then releases a bird from one of the boxes and you have two shots to kill the bird before it goes out of the ring even if you kill the bird and it lands outside the ring it is a lost bird, bounces out....lost bird. when they relese the bird it is slung up in the air still with its wings tuked you want to kill that bird now!!!! shooting a over and under you shoot both barrals every time even if you hit it on the first sho.....BOM,BOM .....no mater what.....consider it cheap insurence to keep that bird in the ring......BIG money to win.....BIG money to play....

Also I was raised on a dairy in chino, have tons of friends and family with dairys, some of my best memorys are shooting pigeons by the hundreds, havnt done it in quite a while, and now you go me goin...... just might have to make a trip up to bakersfield!!!!

leftyhunter

Reaction score
Thanks Huntcrazy,

There might be dairies closer to Hesperia then Bakersfield. Why hunt pigeons ? They are a pest and they are a great way to prepare for upland bird seasons. Its fun and if the owner gives me free shells then its a win win situation.

Leftyhunter

Top Bottom