Roe Buck

JAYB

Reaction score
As there is never much on the European forum, other than newspaper stuff, I thoght you would like to see
what a Roe deer looks like. This is a yearling Roebuck, he was not supposed to be there, but he paid the ultimate price. The afternoon before my friend and I saw thirteen Red stags developing an unhealthy interest in some trees he had planted on his farm. The most I have ever seen in this field before has been three, it was time to do something to save the trees. I promised him that I would go back the next morning and speak to the deer about their bad behaviour.

I was there bright and early but their was no sign of the Reds. I had been sat up for about ten minutes when I heard this young fellow bark, about three hundred yards away, may have been more but the clump of trees where the bark came from was three hundred yards away. I used my Buttolo Roe call, it's too early for the rut but he was young and keen, so he barked again and the next thing I knew he was racing past where I was sitting. He went behind me, up on a plateau and stopped, I called he barked. I stalked into where he was and ended up taking a broadside shot at him. I was using a 6.5 X 55 with a Hornady 129 gr Interlock over 45 grains of H4350, he dropped like a stone, poor wee thing was only about 40 yards away. He had a 6.5 entry wound and a two inch exit wound.

Anyway for those of you who have never seen one this is a Roe deer, think of him as a small teenager he had some growing to do.

John

irishhunter

Reaction score
nice post, pity to have to cull such a young one but they do a lot of damage at any age. Ive not stalked roe yet ,they seem like fun.I stalk reds and sika in ireland every year, Im looking forward to that in october thanks for posting we need some european stuff here more often. We cant use the moderaters on guns here in the USA which is a pity as the do help a lot, but then again we dont have as much culling as the UK or Ireland .again thanks for posting

DEERSLAM

Reaction score
They are cool lookin little deer. Congrats
And thanks for posting.

JAYB

Reaction score
irishhunter

No Roe in Ireland so you will have to look elsewhere. I understand that most of the Sika and Red population in Ireland have interbred, so much so that in some places all Sika are considered hybrids. There is though plenty of them, and to my mind Sika make the best eating. If you get the chance of a go at the Roe take it, they are wonderful deer to stalk.

John

irishhunter

Reaction score
yes jay funny how roe never made it to ireland ,my friends go to scotland and poland for them.Ireland is being over run with deer at the moment due to the widespread forestery plantations giving them cover to move out from the denser populations in wicklow and kerry ,Sika are fun to stalk and they are the best eating too, and yes I think most reds are hybrid except in the area round kilarney but for how long I dont know as the sika are getting more prevalent every year. all the guys I stalk with cull about a hundred a year on their leases but so much is not covered by any guns, that they have huge areas that they are able to escape to and no one bothers them . The next ten years is going to be interesting as the farmers are starting to complain about the competition for grazing and the damage to plantations

JAYB

Reaction score
No one loves the Sika, they are prolific breeders and yearling hinds are quite capable of, and often do breed. They are also bloody destructive on trees and have no respect for fences, they will just beat away at the meshing until it gives. They are hardy buggers though and take some killing.

I have just got shooting on a farm where the Sika compete with the livestock for grazing, these are classed as marauding deer. Consequently the owner is allowed to hunt/control/kill call it what you will, these marauding deer. He does not hunt, so I do it for him, what this means is that I have year round access to these deer. The hinds will be giving birth this month and next so I will not be shooting any of them until the back end, but, the stags are fair game.

John

arizona hunter

Reaction score
Cute little deer. I bet they are fun to hunt and nice to eat.

Back in 1998 my wife and I visited the estate of Archduke Franz Ferdinand (Benisov, Czech Rep). this is the man that was murdered and sort of kick started WW1.

He was an avid hunter,had trophies from all over the globe, but you could tell his favorite animal to hunt was the Roe. He had 100's of head mounts and just antler mounts all over the palace.

Sumpnneedskillin

Reaction score
When I was stationed in Germany I used to watch them run around the field near where I worked. It was especially fun during the rut. I remember them running in circles for quite a while.

Orygun

Reaction score
Post all your harvest pics. Can't get enough about hearing/seeing about hunting in places outside the US.

Top Bottom