Roll Call

PowDuck

Reaction score
Hey, Guys. Welcome to the Traditional Bow forum. Let's get a count of who's out there and get this forum off the ground in a big way.

Jesse, in some fit of delirium, has seen fit to allow me to moderate. I'll do my best. Most other Traditional forums I've visited are extremely civil and devoid of argumentative topics. Most traditionalists are more interested in the choice and combinations of woods in their bows and the pride that comes from arrow building, etc. So it shouldn't really be too hard of a job. I'm looking forward to it.

Sign the list and post some pics of your bows and such. Tell all your friends about us.

PowDuck

Reaction score
See, I've already messed up.
Tell us where you're from and what bow you've got (or want.)

Texarkana, Arkansas
Recurve - Colorado Bighorn TD - 55#@28"
Longbow - ChekMate Crusader - 56#@28"

Grey Taylor

Reaction score
Midway City, Ca
Recurve, Bear Kodiak Magnum, 65# @ 28"
Recurve, Bear Grizzly, 45# @ 28"
Recurve, Bear Kodiak, 65# @ 28"
Asiatic static recurve, Grozier, Early Avarian, 55# @ 28"
(nothing against longbows, I just don't have any... yet)

I shoot only wood arrows and make all my own, even selling a few to local shooters.  I also make my own Flemish strings.

Speckmisser

Reaction score
Union City, CA
No bow yet, but hoping to get started in the immediate future.  Doubt I'll be building my own stuff initially.  Not even sure I'm gonna have the time to shoot factory stuff like I should.  

But one thing builds on another...

Guess I can say I did own a bow once.. a Blue Bear youth bow... a long, long, long time ago

(Edited by Speckmisser at 8:54 am on Feb. 13, 2002)

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
Redlands Ca.

I started  bowhunting as a kid with a Ben Pearson recurve, #40 at 28". Still have it and shoot it once in awhile for fun. The zebrawood handle still looks cool.

I've been shooting a PSE Coyote takedown recurve lately, #55 at 29". It's okay, it just doesn't turn me on like some other bows I've shot.

Currently eyeing the Sky Archery catalog, the Rogue recurve to be exact. They make the Rogue in a takedown version so may go that route.

I shoot aluminum arrows but would like to get back into shooting cedar arrows.

I'll drag out the digital camera and get a pic of the 2 otehr bows.

songdog

Reaction score
Santa Clarita, CA

Bear Kodiak Magnum #55 @ 28"

Shooting aluminum right now but I'd be really interested in how to go about getting a set of Grey's cedar arrows.

Also interested to see if you guys are hunting with a back quiver or one attached to the bow.  I'm thinking of dropping the one that I use that attaches to the bow and going with the back quiver.  Just have to keep those arrows quiet and broadheads from going through the bottom piece of leather.

Grey Taylor

Reaction score
Songdog, I use a hip quiver that I made for my broadhead arrows but I'm not all that pleased with it.  Having the arrow ends waving around in the brush with every step I take is a little ackward.  Problem is, I'm not sure a back quiver would work that well either.  I use one for range shooting and roving and I think it would intefere with a day pack or buttpack if I used it while hunting.  It's also a pretty big motion to draw an arrow out so it may flag game.  I may try a Plains Indian type if I pick up the leather to make one.

For keeping an arrow from ventilating your back quiver you can encase each broadhead in a little sheath and arrange it to it'll drop off as you draw the arrow.  I've seen sets of sheaths like that for sale (3Rivers has them) but it'd be relatively easy to make one.  Howard Hill used to put a handful of oats in the bottom of his quiver to keep the heads from dulling one another.  I'd hate to see that after being caught in a rainstorm.  Maybe something like oats + a heavy piece of leather in the bottom for the puncture part?

Catquivers are another option.  Lots of guys really like those.  Side Stalker types are another possibility.

I think some of us are on a continual quiver quest.

BTW, 55# on your KM is the perfect weight.  My 65# gets a little bit onerous at the end of a long day.

songdog

Reaction score
I was happy with the #55.  I can pull more but I didn't see a bunch of difference (enough at least) in speed so I opted for something that was easier for me to shoot.  I think that I shoot it more as a result.

Thinking about those cedar arrows, the wouldn't make as much noise in a back quiver as the aluminum rattling against each other.  One more reason for me to justify them :wink-yellow:

Canus latrans

Reaction score
I have been a traditional shooter for several years now.  I still hunt with a compound but not as much.  Just moved to the Central Coast and travel a good distance to about 3 tournaments a year - great practice and good company at those traditional shoots.

Atascadero, CA
         Black Widow recurve - 56# @ 28"
         Stahl recurve - 53# @ 29"

Both of these bows shoot my custom cedar shafts with Zwickys or Grizzlys.  But, they also shoot carbon shafts perfectly.  I have learned that carbon shafts with weight tubes added and 125 gr. tips (500 grains) are the best penetrating arrows for me.  I know I'll hear about this but penetration and performance are my main concern.

I use a bow quiver for walking hunts and a Caribou skin, plains style quiver or a back quiver for the tree stand and ground blind hunting.

This year, in Arizona, I harvested a javelina with a 40 yard shot, the longest traditional shot that I have ever attempted.  

I will be watching this site for possible hunting companions around the state.  I would like to hunt with someone at FHL this next summer.

Dave Heffner
[email protected]

Floxter

Reaction score
New to archery; I've only been shooting about 1 year. Shoot a Bob Lee "Stick", 62" 50#@28 and a Chek-Mate TD Hunter II, 58", 51#@28. Shoot Elite Cedar Arrows in the Longbow, but still working up the proper arrow combo for the Chek-Mate.

nextrodeo

Reaction score
Amazing how much fun it is compared to other styles of bow shooting. Love my Bob Lee takedown recurve. Going up to Atascadero to check the Ranch and see how the turkey populations are. Last month when I was up it was unreal, you couldnt even sleep till the sun hit the camper because there was so many birds clucking and purring. Im surprized I dont know you Dave Heffner ,I have killed a whole battle ship full of deer , hogs, turkeys and sharks all on the central coast.

Speckmisser

Reaction score
Hey Nextrodeo...

So, when you gonna invite us all to the ranch?  I don't need a battleship full of hogs...just a couple for the freezer.  ;-)

By the way, how long you been out of NC?

nextrodeo

Reaction score
Watch what what you hope for, you  might just get it. Checking the ranch is a nice way of saying I worked my ass off. No hogs on the ranch just deer turkeys, quail. I rode for the 1st North Caralina Confederate calvery doing civil war reenactments so thats the deal with the flag.

Speckmisser

Reaction score
Well, deer, turkeys, and quail taste pretty good too.  

I'm never scared of a little work in order to have a little fun.  Swung a hammer for 10 years, built and rebuilt fence, and chased horses around the pastures a few times too.  

My little brother is getting involved in the re-enactment scene back in NC right now.  Looks like fun, particularly the cavalry part.  Don't know how my horse would handle the gunfire, but it looks like a blast.  

Anyway, if you need an extra back on the ranch some weekend...well, I don't ask for much.

nextrodeo

Reaction score
Speckmisser, thats a pretty nice web site, man do I miss duck hunting, I used to shoot a private club in Los Banos for a trade in carpenter work, man do I have a lot of video and pictures of bull sprig. The reenactment thing is a blast, after all your horse dont know it aint real. Besides,  the yankees we went up against all rode little skinny chested, Arab horses and we all rode barrel chested, hitoricaly correct Morgans and Tennesee Walkers, we would bust up thier formations bad. Cant let you shoot the ranch, but wouldnt mine giving up some hog and deer spots at FHL.

Canus latrans

Reaction score
Hey nextrodeo,
Are you interested in some deer hunting this season?  Kinda looking for a hunting partner at FHL this season.  Too many people there during the general season.
How about a little varmint calling on the post?  And, have you ever applied for their special draw on elk tags at FHL?
Dave Heffner
[email protected]
Atascadero

(Edited by Canus latrans at 7:17 pm on Feb. 25, 2002)

nextrodeo

Reaction score
 Hey Dave,  I hunt the fort opening day of archery for the last couple of years. Bunch of good guys,lots of fun, one more guy wont hurt anything,big country, we see lots of bucks too, but seeing aint getting but at least your in the game. As far as the elk go, I got drawn this last season for the owens, it was awsome. first thing I have taken with a rifle in years but it was pretty cool. I pulled off one hell of a stalk across open desert to within 35 yds of a big herd when I took mine, I new I should have taken my recurve but I just didnt know what to expect. If you can get drawn Ill guide you, its definately doable with a bow.

elklver

Reaction score
Martin Hatfield Recurve 65#
Check Mate Recurve 61#
Abbott Long Bow 53#

Grey Taylor

Reaction score
elklver, how do you like that Abbott?  I shot with a guy who had one at a Conejo Valley trad shoot a couple years ago.  Man, that was a nice looking bow.  I've been trying to get into one ever since.  I know Steve Abbott lives somewhere here in So. Calif. but I've never figured out where.  I'd sure like to meet him some day and look closer at his bows.

Dhunter

Reaction score
Hey Guys , here is my 2 cents
 Home made custom recurve from Bingham components 64#@29", cedar shafts,Eastern wild Turkey fletches and homemade flemish string. currently working on a Hickory self bow (having blownup the first 3 attempts! oh well live and learn

Top Bottom