Rollcall and favorite hunts

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
How about a quick head count and bio to get to know a bit about everyone here?

My name is Jesse, I'm 42 and live in Southern California. I've grew up duck hunting in Missouri. Since moving to California it's been the Chino dairies for honkers, Wister for pins, mallards and snows and some jump shooting along the Colorado River. I'm still lugging around my old Rem 870.

How about the rest of you quackers? Don't foget you dog too. If you have any pics, please post them too.

Drake Slayer

Reaction score
My name is Greg,35 years old live in Roseville.Grew up in Ca hunting everything except pigs.Favorite places to hunt ducks is LDC in the morning and Sutter in the afternoon.I bow hunt deer and bear.Bird hunt dove, quail,ducks, geese, pheasants,turkeys, and sage grouse.Rifle hunt deer, bear,coyotes and elk when drawn.

J

Jay at work

My name's Jay (duh!). Born and raised in the east bay of the SF bay area. Started hunting when I was 25 or so. Started bow hunting deer and after I got my first one I gave it up to concentrate on birds. Ducks & geese are my favorite. Pheasants, dove and quail (if I can find them on public land) fill in the rest.

I have 3 boys, 12, 9 and 4. The oldest got his license and started hunting last season. He plugged a pintail and a rooster for sure, but practice is the keyword here.

The nice thing about the other bulletin board was that you got a continual source of new blood through the link on the DFG web page. We could get a little in-grown here

BigDog

Reaction score
Well Jay, you can stop worrying about the inbreeding. There is now a link for this page on the DFG webpage.

BigDog

Reaction score
Ok, lets try this. Dave Allen here. I live in Oakland. I hunt all over the place. Mainly in Ca but out-of-state when I can. I only hunt/fish for what I eat. I have been hunting public property for everything but this year I joined GR. I have been a solo hunter/fisher for most of my life but I am trying to change that. So, I am trying to hook up with others to share adventures. This year, I will probably be bow hunting for deer in Ca because I have tags for Montana so the deer in the freezer is guanteed. As some of you know, I am also getting active in proactively promoting our sports. I have a fear that we are going to lose our rights and believe we should be actively fighting our opponents.

My hunting girl

W

webbfoot

My name is Bob,I live in Paradise.I am 55 years old and have been hunting ducks and geese for 46 years,I quess you could say I'm hooked.Recently retired as a lineman wth Pacbell.Also hunt deer,pigs,elk,and enjoy fishing.Love to hunt Gray Lodge .

T2

Reaction score
My name is Todd, 26 from Elverta Ca.  I hunt ducks, geese pheasant dove turkey and Quail. Also deer and pig.  Love to fish for trout.  Drake slayer, did you happen to work on the dinner comitee for the placervile NWTF?  I've read some of your posts and put 2 and 2 together.  I was on the comitee for 3 years,  and if you are who I think you are I usually see you at Sutter or Gray Lodge a couple times a year.  Drop me an Email ttowns@seasense.com.

jerry d

Reaction score
I'm Jerry, from Pleasanton. Been around for 63 years(older than dirt). I'm a transplanted Georgia boy. Uncle Sam brought me to California(U.S. Navy)and a young lass(transplant from Montana)kept me here. We have a daughter that migrated to New Jersey and a son that rides helicopters for the U.S. Navy.

My dad taught me to hunt and fish when I was about 8 and I haven't stopped since. I've hunted ducks in Calif. for about 37yrs, with pheasants on the side from time to time. I started hunting ducks on refuges, then out of a boat on Montezuma Slough in Suisun Marsh and finally to private clubs. I hunted deer in Calif. til some bozo thought I was a fluorescent deer and took a shot at me. My next challenge is elk hunting in Montana with wife's childhood friends.

I also teach Hunter Education at Chabot Gun Club in Castro Valley. We run a 1 day class(approx 13 hours)on the 1st Sat. of each month if anyone is interested.

I retired from PG&E in '93, willing victim of corporate management downsizing and loving every minute.

Would like to see more private land open to duck hunting to give more people a chance to hunt and keep the ducks moving off the decomp water.

duckme

Reaction score
Name is Dale and I live in modesto.44 years old .Dirty ol construction worker (brick layer).I have hunted ducks since I was 12 years old.I hunt San Luis NWR most of my hunts.

Duckit

Reaction score
Name is Ray and I grew up hunting San Pablo Bay and Colusa Refuge in the 60's.  I now split my time between a ricefield blind and the Sac Valley refuges. Also for the past few years I make a trip to NE Ca or Oregon to chase birds.

W

wildfowl

Name is Tim, just moved to Roseville. Looking to meet new hunters in my area. Cut my teeth fishing and hunting in Sac. area. Fish Folsom, Pardee, and Sierra lakes trolling in my 12 ft. Valco. Hunted ducks and geese for 20 yrs. in valley, hope to raise a new lab this yr..

Spec

Reaction score
My Name is ray I live in Vacaville and have hunted ducks for 52 years now I will be 59 years old in May I have 2 Sons and a lovely wife that has put up with Duck hunting for 38 years now plus all the other things I do in the outdoors,My likes are hunting and fishing and the Taxidermy of waterfowl I am working on a colection of all the Ducks and Geese on the pacific flyway now .I am over halfway done and still plugging along! Seems like I replace birds every year still don't know why my buddys get the best of me I guess! I am always here for questions or help to waterfowlers if you know of me I am a moderator in 2 Calif forums in the refuge and duckblind good luck and good hunting ! Watch those eyes and feet!

grizz

Reaction score
I' am the same grizz from the ca. dfg fourm, looking for a fix of hunting and fishing info / B.S.
 Looks like some others have migrated over also.  Been kinda diffrant lately , this looks good I'll be lerking around.
   Mostly I hunt and fish north of Sac.  Ducks are my favroit.  But if the opp. comes I'll hunt whatever happens to be in season.  
   I've been fishin the Feather river lately without much success, the water is realy low. I hope there's a good striper run in the Feather this year.  
   Good site,  Good luck!       Later

huntducks

Reaction score
hunt-ducks my name is Greg I live in San Dimas which is 40mi E of LA, i'm married with 2 boys, and a lab named Ginger, I love to hunt and live to hunt, I use to hunt it all but now mainly ducks & geese, but not opposed to putting a elk or deer in the freezer.

I enjoy hunting all over the state and out of state which I do several times a year.

I'm a 52 yr old retired plumbing contractor and enjoy every minute of it.

I usualy hunt alone or with my sons if there in state or i'm in there state, but always looking for someone for a day of hunting you name the time and place and I can usualy make it.

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum, glad to have all you here. I recognize a few names from the Refuge.

Greg, how was your snow shoot in Missouri? 5 weeks and I'll be back there for 10 days for turkey birds. You gonna be around there then?

Spec, you interested in another moderator notch on your belt, hint hint. With the ribald bunch we'll need several deputies to keep the peace. You do have asbestos shorts right?

Let's see some pics, I know some of you claim to have jobs so you must own cameras. UBB code works here for pics. Hit the help tab at the top of main page to see what  UBB code looks like, it's real simple. I would post it here but your browser will think it's a pic and leave a little red x.

Here's one of some honkers landing in the closed zone alfalfa at Cibola last Jan 2001. Pic is off a camcorder so don't bag on my focus skills.

Another of the farm unit in Cibola. I watched a father/son team whack a mess of ducks this day while scouting. They pulled in about 2 pm and went to town.

Also, if any of you guys/gals are fishing, stop into the fishing forum here and say hey to Dave (fubar). He's quite a  fisherman and feeling lonely over there with nobody posting much.

3curljohnny

i'm john,31 from eureka.my grandpa in arkansas started me squirrel hunting at 8 and ducks by 9, had the disease ever since.i hunt ducks,pheasant,chukar,quail,grouse,dove,turkey,squirrels,deer and bear.can't decide between a good scull on humboldt bay or a mallard shoot in e. oregon for second favorite but arkansas timber is definately first. arizona dove hunts are a strong third. also like to fish and hunt bullfrogs.got a young english pointer i'm learning from/about?? good luck on the tom's and hit em' hard

MQ

Reaction score
Hi, I'm Jack (aka M.Q. on the old forum). I'm an engineer who lives in Fremont. Started hunting at age 9 and have been chasing mostly ducks, but also deer, dove and chickens for 36 years. I started hunting ducks on SF Bay, but after my father took me to Colusa at age 15, I was hooked on the marshes. I now have 2 boys, 10 and 15, that accompany me. Life is good (although last season coulda been better).

Speckmisser

Reaction score
Hey all,

Speckmisser, AKA Phillip here....here being in Union City, by way of North Carolina.  I've been in CA for almost six years now, and loving a lot of it.  I hate a lot of it, too, but I guess that's the trade off.

I've been hunting since my daddy used to carry me through the catclaws and blackberries chasing squirrels and bobwhites.  I don't know how old I was the first time out, and I don't know how old I'll be when I make my last stalk.  But between points A and B I'm having a ball.

If I can eat it, I'll probably hunt it.  Deer, ducks, and pigs are my big kick since I've been in CA.  I apply every year for Tule Elk, but we know how that goes.  Probably going to start heading to other states for elk soon, if this economy thing doesn't kick me into the poorhouse first.  I trek back to NC a couple of times every year to try for whitetails too.  

Anyway...  enjoying hearing you guys chat, and being a small part of it whenever I can.  I've met only one of you so far, BigDog Dave, and if he's any indication, I'm in with a great bunch of guys.

Shoot straight, and remember.  You can't call a bullet back.

Megadeth

Reaction score
I had one helluva time making a reply. Its nice to be back.

Woodduck

Reaction score
Woodduck Here.  AKA Phil.  I've been hunting in the Northern valley for ducks since I was 10 years old in 1968......let's see, that makes me 42, with 32 years of duck chasing under my belt.  I virtually grew up in the Gray Lodge parking lot and still call it home.  I have finally learned to blow a call and set decoys in the past few years to get a little better at this sport.

I typically hunt 6-8 areas during the season from Tule/Klamath to LDC and Howard, Gray Lodge, Sutter, Grizzly occasionally, rarely on the west side of the valley.  I save all my vacation days each year to sit in line at Sutter.  I shoot an over/under, occasionally use a moto, and never shoot over 25 yards, or so.

I also am passionate about fly fishing and fly tying.I try to spend a week or so each year in Montana chasing trout.  I even started my own web fly shop this year!    Any of you long rodders, come visit my site at http://www.philscustomflies.bigstep.com .  I tie a darned nice trout fly!  What else is there to do in line at Sutter!

My partner Rob and I host the Gray Lodge Clean-up day each for CWA.  Come up this year on April 14th.  We also are active in the Woodduck program at Gray Lodge.  If you see any boxes marked GLH, those are ours!  GLH stands for Gray Lodge Heights, the rag tag group of trailers at the end of the parking lot.

I drive a white Ford with and Six Pac camper and generally always have extras for those that stop by for breakfast or dinner.  Extra Scotch is always welcome.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Common Sense Campfire 12
Common Sense Campfire 16
OPAH Campfire 9
T Mule Deer Hunting 3
ltdann Elk Hunting 5

Advertisement

Top Bottom