Rompola Signed Agreement pic

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
http://www.buckforage.com/rompola.htm

Note the first line at the bottom of the first page under "Settlement". The part about "for good and valuable consideration" Whats that exactly? In real estate contracts that usually means an exchange of money. Word is Rompola sold the mount to a collector and the seed company paid him off to drop the world record claim. Since Rompola's buck was never submitted to B & C or P & Y for the record book we may never know.

Rompola gets his nice chunk of change to go on hunting, the seed company and Milo Hansen keep their claim to the WR to sell their goods and some collector somewhere can brag to his friends he really does have the WR in his game room.

So, has anyone seen any huge whitetail racks in a friend's game room lately? Any names?

Jon Bain

Reaction score
So he sold out?  I hope he received what he wanted because Milo I am sure is in the millions by now.  If I had a legitimate WR buck I sure wouldn’t let someone else’s endorsements get in the way of me benefiting from my hard work.  The whole thing is strange to me, but I also have not been following it.

TNDEERHUNTER

Reaction score
I think the whole thing is a little fishy. If I had a world record buck they couldn't pay me enough money to pry it from my hands. I would let them buy a replica from me for a good chunk but not the original.

Arrowhead

Reaction score
This whole episode is a sorry statment for those involved.

Kind of tell's me I wouldn't want to do business with any of them.

I was on Rampola's side when this first broke. But now he made a
Clinton of himself......

buckfever7

Reaction score
I guess I'm not surprised.  I have a few reliable connections (someone who knows him personally) back home in MI and their word is that Mitch is a nice guy,  but that he is definately not one for the spotlight,  reclouse (sp?).  

Passthru

Banned
Reaction score
 This whole thing with Milo Hansen,Rompola the B&C and P&Y and world record claims is a big fat stain on hunting and hunters,it puts out the message that all any of them care about is horn dimensions and profit,it appears to the non hunting public that thas is all any of us care about,I have to tell you that if i killed a buck of that size he would be mounted on my wall,if you wanted to see him come over otherwise he is not for sale.And I would NEVER sign any kind of aggrement with Milo or anyone.

Tominator

Reaction score
I'm with Buck fever on this one. Same "I know a guy, who knows a guy.." situation and I really think he killed the buck as he stated but has been overwhelmed by all the hype. Leaves me feeling that if I should kill a buck of that caliber I would just toss the rack in the shop and forget about it. The whole thing is demeaning to the sport as well as the deer.
Tominator

JBarn3

Reaction score
Jesse,

"for good and valuable consideration" could be just about anything. For a contract to be legally valid, there must be "good consideration" (or a consideration substitute such as promissory estoppel) .

Consideration is essentially a benefit to the promisor through detriment to the promisee.

Consideration can be, as you said, money or other tangible, or it can be foregoing a right or assuming a duty.

My guess would be that money changed hands here.

I sure hope he got a lot of money if he gave up his claim to a true record.

Since every contract has to have consideration anyway, why do they state "for good and valuable consideration"?

This is basically to get in writing that both parties agree the deal is fair and that there was sufficient "consideration" so that 3 months from now, Rompola can't decide he wants to claim the record, and then say that the contract isn't valid because cash isn't fair consideration for giving up the honor of a B&C record.

This is already complicated enough, so I'll leave it at that.

I guess to sum it up real quick Consideration = Compensation

(Edited by JBarn3 at 5:36 am on June 4, 2002)

Terrell

Reaction score
THIS IS THE PROBLEM WITH THE WHOLE WORLD. EVERYTHING HAS BECOME MONEY DRIVEN. THIS DEMAND FOR THE STUFF(MONEY) WOULD MAKE A NORMALLY HONEST PERSON DO THINGS THAT ARE NOT RIGHT. IT TAKES A STRONG PERSON TO REMAIN HONEST. SORRY  TO SEE SOMETHING LIKE THIS HAPPEN IN THE HUNTING COMMUNITY.:cry-blue:

bogwalker

Reaction score
Hey...unless Im mistaken Mr Rompola has several other heads in the record books.Some mention was made to his past work in the field of genetics and feed supplements.As I looked at the picture of that buck I could not bring myself to believe that any whitetail got to that size naturally.I believe Rompola genetically manipulated that buck and the reason he took it out of contention for the record is because one or more game farms made him some type of offer for his research with the proviso that nobody can test or examine his buck.I also believe his other heads should come under closer scrutiny.He also has a police record of the type that would indicate hes a different type of cat.I think he should get no attention or recognition,and I dont think hes shy of the limelight,Ithink hes shy of discovery.

killinturks

Reaction score
sad to say we will never probly know the truth. i had read that old rompo had some previous disagreements with the scoring community, but why not choose an individual scorer that he felt he could trust and get it done with if that were the case. could be that he's just a reclusive sort but then why did he make a big scene in the first place then. he could have just had it mounted and enjoyed it for what it was. i personally dont like the scoring system , i go to the deer and turkey show and look at the racks and scores every year. most of the bucks i like dont score as well because of lack of symmetry, it just seems like a pretty boy contest to me.

troll

Reaction score
I noticed that the contract was signed about one year after Rompola got the buck.  I wonder how quickly this company had offered him money and maybe he just gave in after the controversy started.  Could have been in Jan. 1999 or was it closer to the signing?  Maybe that is what kept Rompola from getting it officially scored after the kill.  Needed some time to think over the offer and the seed company found his price.  Just a thought.

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
Thanks Jbarn for explaining that legalese you guys use.

I never did have my mind up much either way on Rompola. The theories of the droopy ears and blood running out of the ears was quickly put to rest by several of us who posted pics of dead muleys and whitetails with droopy ears and blood running out of the ears.

One thing that did catch my attention was the story of Rompola killing a record book archery buck in Missouri with a bow at the age of 9. Since I'm from Missouri I dug an found no record of Rompola in the books there (http://www.abbm.org/). Right after the story broke one of the famous archery writers wrote a piece on the Rompola story. He mentioned the fact he had met Rompola previously before the big event at a hunting show and found one of his hunting tales real fascinating. Rompola related to the archery writer that he had taken a huge buck in Missouri at the age of 9 with a broadhead that the writer was real familiar with. The writer found it totally amazing that the year Rompola claimed to have arrowed the deer was the first year he had received these unique broadheads from the factory for testing and no one else got their hands on them until a year later, the public release of them was even later.

So, did Rompola really take this buck? Don't know, but if the archery writer is correct in his story Rompola has some problem with some of his stories. As Mark Twain once opined, "If you tell the truth you don't have to remember anything". Funny how those little details can sometimes hang up someone's tales.

troll

Reaction score
Check out this quote from the guy who scored Rompola's buck.  

"I know that 99.9 percent of the other hunters in the world would enter it, but with Mitch, you can't tell. He is extremely suspicious. I told him that he has a lot of people out there who support him and believe in him, but he said that all he ever hears is the bad stuff from people who don't," Berger said.

--Detroit Free Press, April 6, 1999
http://www.freep.com/sports/outdoors/qxdeerx6.htm

The official scoring was in 2001 where Rompola had to enter it in order to become the official World Record.  He never entered it at that point.  This whole thing makes me think of the Kennedy assasination.  All we know is that a deer is dead, probably Mitch killed it, but something doesn't seem quite right.  Might be personality, might be mischievious doings.  All I know is that Rompola came out with some dough either way.  

(Edited by troll at 11:18 pm on June 16, 2002)

Top Bottom