Roostin' birds

Freedom

Reaction score
Ok guys, I'm pretty much a novice when it comes to turkey hunting.  I've only done it seriously for 1 year.  One thing I've tried, and it seems so easy, but I have had no luck at, is roosting birds.  I've gone to areas where I KNOW there are birds but rarely do I hear anything.  Sometimes I just listen, other times I hoot (which I am TERRIBLE at!).  Do crow calls work for roosting?  It can't be that difficult, I'm sneaking in and out, so they aren't hearing me.  Is it possible they are just that tight lipped in the evening?  I've tried this in a couple different areas so its not just one place.  What do you do when roosting?

shovelerslayer

Reaction score
I do not know about PA, but in CA the birds will gobble about 50% of the time in the evening.  It goes to a much higher percentage if there are a lot of gobblers in one area.  If you are hitting this area alot and not hearing anything, are you sure there are gobblers there?  If so, are they pressured quite a bit.  I have one area I hunt that the vocal birds are dead and gone by the second week.  Only the birds who stay quiet have much of a life span.  This spot is hunted by everyone and the birds just learn to shut up.

Reaction score
freedom.... a crow call does work as far as i know, bu i too am a new hunter. but if you are wanting to find roosted birds go were you want to hunt about `5-30 min before daylight and listen for a tom cause 74% of the time a tom will gobble right when they come down from roost. later that evening about 30 min before sunset, and watch and listen for the tom to come, cause a tom will come back most of the time back to the same spot to roost. when you see them be quit dont call just watch were they roost. nw get out of there very quit and come back the next morining and stop about 100 yards from were they roosted and when you hear the tom come off of roost start calling him in.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom