rs 49-425 fresnal lense distance

Dbworld

Reaction score
I mounted the fresnal lense separate from the pir on my most recent cam using the RS-49-525 PIR.  I am getting really lousy distance...maybe 15 feet.  Anybody know offhand the ideal distance from the lense to the sensor.  I waded through the post last night and couldn't find it.  Seems like the ms20 was 7/8" to 1" and the lamson was 1/2" to 5/8" couldn't fing a post specific to the RS pir.  I experimented some but can't seem to get much improvement on this.

Brian

Inactive
Reaction score
According to the RE200B data sheet which is very similar to the RS sensor PIR the focal distance should be around .65 inches.  The alignment seems to be more critical than the depth.  Check to make sure you are not off center.

ArkansasElkHunter

Reaction score
DB, Seems like it was closer to .77 of so.  a crude measurement of the one on my desk was .75"  You might play with it a little to find the most sensitive range.  I've been playing around with lens lately, and I think for the most part the depth and Center to center distance of the fresnal lens sets the focal distance.  They range from .53" to 1.2" based the design of the lens.  Ive been wanting to try the ms20 lens on the RS to see if it will improve the distance some.  Just for info.  I tune my ms20 down some anyway.

Passthru

Banned
Reaction score
 Db,I just completed my cam in the highlander case,I drilled a 1 1/8"hole for the lens,Then i mounted the RS #49-425 inside of RS's small hobby box and cut a hole out for it.The thing here is i just have foam holding it in place behind the lens,when i close the lid it shashes the hobby box up agianst the lid,so i measured the distance from the face of the hobby box to the front of the sensor and i come up with .464",what i would like to mention here is that it picks up movement consistantly out to 37' and an occasional 40',i also made sure that it was centered behind the lens and that the center of the lens is centered in the hole i cut out for it.This is the best distance i have ever gotten out of a RS sensor.I have tested it on cloudy days,sunny warm days and also at night during a thunder storm(it wasnt raining yet)
 it seems that distance is not as critical as centering like Brian says.

LW

Reaction score
Db, just checked Jesse's page again to make sure, for the 49-425 it is 5/8 inch. is that the same as a rs 49-525?

http://www.jesseshuntingpage.com/rs-49-425.html

look about 2/3 down the page.

If this has been updated, someone let me know because I am about to mount one in the box.

Tinhorn

Reaction score
Chili brought the RS PIR report up to the top and I was just reading what I said back then (man I was a Ratchet Jaw huh!) and noticed I have noted the distance is 11/16" on the pix of the PIR.  This is the distance I measured in the original RS enclosure....

Tinhorn

Top Bottom