RS 49-425 pir output

ONESHOT

Reaction score
I'm having trouble getting the 5v relay to consistantly close the output contacts(pick up).  PIR is Radioshack 49-425.  My camera is a Cannon PF and all wiring, test LED and switches are hooked up as per the diagram on Jesse's page, with the exception of the 5V DC reed relay, diode and mini phono jack being mounted on a separate circuit board.  

The coil of the relay is currently hooked up to the speaker wires, but I have tried the pin #2 and battery negative with the same results.  When the 5 VDC reed relay is hooked up to the speaker wires and the PIR sees motion, the coil of the relay always sings (chime mode), but the relay seldom changes the state of the contacts.  When I throw the DPDT toggle switch to "Test" mpde, the LED works flawlessly.

The open circuit voltage (DC) on the speaker wires is 9.2 volts (battery voltage) but when I put the 5v relay coil load on the speaker wires, the voltage drops to 3.6 VDC.  Unloaded pin to is 5.2 VDC, loaded is 3.0 VDC.

I've tried replacing the batteries with no luck.  I've even parallelled two brand new 9 volt batteries with no luck.

I'm looking for help before I try some other design changes.  I've read similar threads posted by others and I understand the audio output contains AC harmonics, but the fact is the 5 VDC relay just won't pick up.  Please help.

By the way, this page rocks.  Before seeing Jesse's page, I had wanted to build a camera for some time and even purchased other components than the ones recommend.  After seeing this page and the trouble and time you all have had invested, I took all the other components back and bought all the components you guys recommended.

You guys have already saved me much design time and $$$$.  Thanks!

Sorry so long-winded,
Oneshot

springdrl

Reaction score
Oneshot,

When I built my camera I took it one step at a time and checked the result. For example, I first connected the reed relay and diode to the RS sensor and made sure the contacts were closing with a volt/ohm meter. I also verified that the camera would shutter when I connected a short across the plug that I attached to the wires from it. Then I connected the two and made sure the reed relay would trigger the camera.

Only after I knew the sensor would trigger the camera did I begin to add the switches and LEDs.

(Edited by springdrl at 8:26 pm on Sep. 27, 2001)

ONESHOT

Reaction score
springdrl,

Well I found my problem.  

After reading your reply, I started with some basic troubleshooting using a 6VDC lantern battery across the coil of the relay and a DMM.  Turns out the relay contacts were actually closing.

It was my stereo mini male plug attached to my camera wires that was screwed up and only intermittently making contact.  Replaced the plug and it is working flawlessly.

Can't wait to mount it in my box this weekend and get it in the woods.  

Bow season starts next Tuesday, but I'm more fired up about getting my first photos.

Thanks for your help,
Oneshot

springdrl

Reaction score
Great! Hope you're not like me and have a friend who paid over $300 bucks for a ready-made camera. He has yet to get a picture and refuses to speak to me.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom