RS 49-425 Question

glen71

Reaction score
Okay guys, I know you tired of answering the same questions over and over, but I have read all the posts in all the threads and I am still confused. I am ready to start building my trail cam and need some advice:

I have the Owl PF Date and the RS 49-425 and plan to power the sensor with a 12V gel-cell. I see that some of you wire the relay to pin #2 of the IC and some to the speaker wires. Back in June, there was a thread where Tinhorn, I believe, had an idea for a sensor modification to eliminate the "ringing" relay when using the speaker wires. Has anyone proven that strategy? I can find no further mention of it!???

I guess I am asking for the experts' opinion as to:
1.) The preferred way to drive the relay, pin #2 or speaker wires? I want to do it the best way, not necessarily the easiest way.
2.) If the answer is the speaker wires, what type of 12V relay do I need, and what, if any, mods should be made to the sensor? Does the test LED get wired in parallel with the relay coil?
3.) Has anyone determined if using Archilochus' half-push timer circuit enables the Owl use its automated features?

You can probably tell I know nothing about electronics, but my neighbor works at NASA and is "flight-certified" to solder PCB's for the Shuttle. He should be able to help me!
I will appreciate any advice you can give.

(Edited by glen71 at 1:36 pm on Aug. 18, 2001)

Possum

Reaction score
I am by no means an expert.  I sometimes use incorrect jargon.  With that being said the #2 pin has 5 volts coming off it and that's why you can use a 5 volt relay on that.  The speaker wires have a 9 v raw power coming off them.  I used a 5 volt relay coming off pin2 and used the speaker wires to drive my LED.  The RS PIR uses very little power so you could power it with a 9v battery.  It lasts a pretty long time.  I wired a test walk led to the speaker wires and a led to the relay coil (with a cutoff switch) so I could see when the relay released.  I was using a 1 resistor timer that Arch. had on his schematic page.  Hope this helps some,  I think I'm confused now.

PS these other guys will probably expand on this more - they are more "educated" in these things, thank goodness.

(Edited by Possum at 2:37 pm on Aug. 18, 2001)

Archilochus

Reaction score
Hi glen71,
I'd say Tinhorns' idea is the best way.  My cam with the 49-425 sensor is being borrowed by a friend at the moment, so I've never actually made the modification, but there is no reason that it shouldn't work.

Archilochus

glen71

Reaction score
Archilochus and Possum - Thanks for the responses. I guess I will have to go back and read Tinhorn's post. What is a reasonable relay coil resistance for the 12V relay? I saw a 12V reed relay at RS (#275-233)whose coil resistance is 1,050 ohms. Will that work?

glen71

Reaction score
Archilochus - Boy is there egg on my face! I went back to the RS 49-425 thread and discovered I had only read the first (of three) pages. You, Tinhorn, and RW hash it out pretty thoroughly in the two pages I failed to look at.

I sure could use the RS 49-425 schematic, if anyone still has it.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom