RS PIR Meltdown

warrendsga

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

Has anyone ever had a problem with their RS PIR dieing in the field?  I retrieved mine last night and the remainder of my roll was snapped.  After re-flipping the pwr switch, the sensor doesn't seem to work.  I've tried everything and nothing happens.  Measured voltage to the reed switch and it's only measuring .15V steady not the 5V required.  The PWB is getting 8.5V.  Could this be the IC's or Transistors?  Does anyne know who makes the ICES47E 24 pin U2?  I'm confused.  The last 5 shots all looked like they occurred one right after another and there does seem to be a sun glare on the film, no critters however.  Thanks for any input!

A

Archilochus2

Hi warrendsga,
Without actually testing your sensor with a 'scope, there's no way to say what is wrong with it.  Since you still read 8.5V at the batt, it's not a weak battery.  I'm guessing that you have been driving the reed relay with the pin #2 of the large IC?
I suspect that using the pin #2 output might put a damaging load on that IC.  Your reading of .15V (that is at pin #2 of the large IC, right??) would support that possibility.

Maybe it's just a heat/humidity problem like people have been having with their MS20 sensors?
>>>>>
I have yet to locate any info on the ICES47E IC.  I think it may be a proprietary part custom made for whoever it is that manufactures the sensors for RS.  It contains at least 2 op-amps, a window comparator, and some timing logic - not your standard IC that is available "off-the-shelf"

Archilochus

warrendsga

Reaction score
thanks for the reply,

I'm driving the reed right from pin #2 as you guessed.  The thing is dead as she can be.  It has been pretty hot and humid in atlanta the last few days and it sounds like the RS PIR is more susceptable to these conditions.  I'm going to keep trying to revive this one but may have to replace it with a MS20.  Any further info you acn find would be greatly appreciated.  PS- is there another place you could drive the relay from other than pin #2 to prevent a damaging load?  

wvhunter

Reaction score
I have been using the RS PIR but have it hooked up to the speaker wires.  The relay "sings" but has been in the woods for 4 months now with no problems.

Coal30

Reaction score
i also have been useing the speaker wires and have had no problems ive gone threw many roles of film no problems Here
Good Luck

glen71

Reaction score
wvhunter and Coal30 - When you drive the relay with the speaker wires:
1. Do you use a 9 (or 12) VDC relay rather than 5 VDC?
2. Where do you connect the LED?

(Edited by glen71 at 9:10 pm on Aug. 16, 2001)

bussert

Reaction score
The ICES47E IC can be found in a cheap Radio Shack motion detector.  I just bought one for $26 and was trying to find the pinouts for it when I came across your post.  I also don't know who makes it, but maybe you can fix your device using one of these.

OOPS! SORRY ALL... I was trying to be helpful, and didn't bother reading before posting....  DUH!

(Edited by bussert at 2:52 pm on Jan. 12, 2002)

Advertisement

Top Bottom