RS pir only putting out 3v

davered1

Reaction score
Brand new to this.got all the parts,coverted pir ,when i hooked relay to ic#2 pin wouldn't make relay"sing"
I hooked relay direct to speaker wires and now it sings but won't send power through relay to camera?
When I checked voltage I have 9 volts going in(from battery)but when tripped it only has 3 volts coming out of speaker wires(directly out of board).

This PIR is the replacement(so they say for the 425) here in Canada.It looks identical.

If there is only 3 volts coming out can I hook it directly to camera with out burning camera up?

ANY INPUT GREATLY APPRECIATED

Have I done something wrong?

Possum

Reaction score
You should have 5 volts coming off of pin #2.  My relay never did the sing thing.  Next, I don't know what will come off the speaker wires, but 3 volts will not trip the relay.  I know the speaker wires will have 5 volts or more because it WILL trip the relay this way too.  The only time one of these connections will not trip the relay is when the 9 volt battery is weak.  Then the voltage may drop below 5 volts.  You mentioned the charge going to the camera.  You will not be sending a charge to the camera if you are connecting to the correct part of the relay.  You are closing a circuit that trips the camera and a pic is taken.  It is like "shorting" it out.  
    The wires coming out of your camera are a open circuit until you touch them together creating a closed circuit and firing the camera.  The same thing happens when the relay "closes" (normally it is open).  You have extended the open circuit from the camera to the relay through the stereo jacks.  Then when the relay receives a charge across the coil it shuts the open part and closes the circuit firing the camera.  I hope my rambling helps and if I am incorrect on anything some of you guys help us out.

davered1

Reaction score
I checked power from IC #2 and meter says 4.9 volts,My problem is that the relay does not "close",I guess?

Can this relay be broke before it starts?

Possum

Reaction score
A relay could be bought that is in not working condition.  But, 4.9 volts should be okay for pin#2.  I used a digital multimeter and that is what I got coming off pin#2.  Sounds like the PIR is okay as for as pin#2.  Make sure the relay is wired in across the coil and not to the relay contacts.  Sometimes you will hear a click when it closes.

Archilochus

Reaction score
Hi davered,
From pin#2 of the large IC you should get a steady ~5V when motion is detected.  This will not make the relay "sing" as the speaker wires will.  Test to see if the relay is closing using the 'Ohms' setting on your meter.  When pin#2 goes to 5V, the relay should close and the Ohm-meters needle should deflect to ~0.

At the speaker wires... your meter can't react fast enough to "see" the audio frequency present when motion is detected.  Your reading of ~3V is sort of an average.  You need a 'scope to see the true signal.

Archilochus

davered1

Reaction score
Thanks, Guys ,Pulled the reed relay apart yesterday,problem was that the relay  was always closed (contacts were "glued" together.Replaced it today and everything works fine.I am putting it out tomorrow.

Thanks for all the help,Here is a black bear I shot this spring HE'S OVER 7' from nose to tail,with a 20 1/8" noodle(skull),I am trying to get his buddy that is in the same area now .Bow hunting just started sept.1 here

GOOD LUCK, Will post some pics when I get some

Check him out
http://imagehosting.bidbay.com/image.php3?imgID=554804

THANKS

Fubar

Reaction score
davered1  Welcome to Jesses Forum. WOW that is one nice bear. What did you get it with?          Fubar

davered1

Reaction score
Fubar, Thanks for the wlecome.

I tried to get this bear 3 times with my black powder but he kept busting me,I knew he was a good bear and wanted him bad so I switched to my .06 and shot him the first time out at 225 yards.

My buddy shot one in the exact spot 2 years ago that measured 7 feet as well with a 18 15/16 skull.

There is another good bear there right now ,I am trying with my crossbow but no luck ,will try black powder when it opens on the 10th but I will not take him with my rifle(till SPRING )

Fubar

Reaction score
davered  Thats one big bear. I dont know if I would have the nerve to shoot it with a  crossbow.   Fubar

Latest Posts

Advertisement

Top Bottom