RS PIR Test

Jon Bain

Reaction score
Just wanted to let you know I glued the lense on the outside of the box for the second camera.  I now have both loaded with 24 exp. film and both are attached to the same tree facing the feeder.  

This is a true field test to see if this has a bearing on distance.  Any pictures the new camera takes that the old one does not will have to be to the distace the PIR is detecting changes at.

I'm a little worried because I have both cameras there together and if someone finds them they are both gone.  Oh well, I'll take the chance in the name of progress.  I'll let you know how it turns out sometime next week when I get back in town.

(Edited by Jon Bain at 12:33 am on July 31, 2001)

Richard Webb

Reaction score
Hi Jon - Sounds like a good focal length test for the PIR. I found some plastic bolts that thread into the bottom of the PF where the tripod is mounted. Now the PF rests on both the large IC and switch. For security all we need is a small diameter cable to keep the honest guys honest. I have been lugging around an Ammo Can with Brinks Security Cable, and it's a bear. I was thinking, if someone wanted it bad enough they would go home and get their hack saw, and cut the U Bolt.

Jon Bain

Reaction score
Richard, I'm reporting in from FL right now.  Yesterday before I left home I went out and checked the camera.  The old one with the lense on the inside had six exposures taken and the new one only had three.  It may be because the old one is only about 12 inches off the ground and the new one directly above it is 16 inches off the ground.  This is going to be an interesting test.  Next rolls of film I'll have to swap the camera positions on the tree and see what happens.  

Richard Webb

Reaction score
Jon, I have my 9 volt battery behind the PIR board in the cutout section, and it pushes the PIR board out at little. If you have your board up against the back wall of the enclosure your focal length would be the same as mine on the outside. I found some 1/16" steel cable, and made a security cable with a tiny pad lock. With the tiny 5/32 Eye Bolts on each side, a guy could rip it loose with one yank. Thinking about putting a small steel tube through the enclosure, and threading the cable through the tube. That way, it would take more than one good yank to break the plastic enclosure. The 1/16" cable would probably cut thief's hand down to the bone instead.  

Jon Bain

Reaction score
Richard, I did not think about the battery pushing the PIR out like that.  Mine is against the back and when I made the first unit, it measured the same distance from the PIR to the lense as when it was assembled in its original form as a door chime.  Maybe I'll need to move this lense back to the inside, we'll see.  I'll also need to see some photos of how you are developing the camera security system.  Post them on your web page or here if you get a chance.  I'll be back home tomorrow and I'll check the cameras then to see what has happened.  I'll keep everyone informed.

Richard Webb

Reaction score
Hi Jon - The Mini Cam with the security lock is planted up on a ridge top at present. I didn't see a sign, so we hiked it up there. When I check it I will get a few pictures of the lock (that's if the dove hunters don't find it first). I really appreciated the small size of your design while hiking up to the top of that ridge, now if we can give the thing some brains to stop a few of the false pictures. My second 9 volt battery (where you have your 3 switches) is for the dawn to dusk sensor. I just about have it perfected now, but the neighbors probably think I lost it the way I walk around the yard at sunset with a hand full of wires and a 9 volt battery hanging out of it.

Richard Webb

Reaction score
Jon - This is what I have inside the Mini Cam, and it's tiny enough to fit along side the Owl where I have the 2nd battery wedged in. I spent a lot of time getting the correct values. The high tech electronic stuff seemed to have a race, and the old relay stuff is slow to react giving the light sensor time to do its thing.  I really didn't need the 2nd battery, but when I started the project I though that I would have to run the sensor circuit constantly. I'm open for suggestions on this.

Tinhorn

Reaction score
RW

Nice drawing and nice idea

As far as using 2 batt's, I think it's a good idea.  If you tried one battery, I'm afraid when the Shutter relay got triggered (under the right light conditions) the circuit might draw enough current to pull down the battery voltage just enough to cause the PIR to be unstable and retrigger itself.  It might work ok with a fresh battery but the problem, if there is one,  might get worse and worse as the battery got weaker.....I think I'd def use 2 batt's

Good Job, I like it

Tinhorn

Jon Bain

Reaction score
Very good Richard.  I like it.  Didn't NC Bowhunter add a photocell to his camera as well?  Seems like I remember him saying something about it once.  

Oh, by the way, I pulled the new camera out of the woods today.  It had only taken 5 pictures and the old unit has taken 18.  I also need to re-attach the glass over the flash and lense hole.  It had seperated on one side from the box.  I think while it is down I may move the lense to the inside.  I haven't decide yet.  I may do some more testing with it as is.

(Edited by Jon Bain at 11:02 pm on Aug. 5, 2001)

Richard Webb

Reaction score
Tinhorn - Next month when the kids are back in school I plan to solder up a quiet version.  The 2 relays, shutter, film advance, and then the relay releasing sounds like a contraption. The boy loves it. You missed the 5 volt relay, hope it holds up till I get something else going. Originally, I planed to connect that circuit directly to Pin #2 with the 5 volt relay replacing the Reed relay, but Archy reminded me about the current draw of that thing. Mean while the thermostat worked good because of the deer roaming around during the cool morning hours. I'll miss those shot with the dusk to dawn sensor.

Jon - NC Bowhunter uses his light sensor in the other direction to block night pictures. Here is a tip on the fresnal lens: When using a 5/8" hole you can cut the lens in half, and secure it to the enclosure with white electrical tape. Out of 3 PIRs I ended up with 4 enclosures with lenses, and one full lens left over for future use.

I found a better place for the 1/16" security cable. There are 2 stand offs in the bottom of the enclosure at the top, so I drilled 2 ea 1/16" holes in the center of the bosses. That way I can thread the cable through the inside of the enclosure making it pretty tough to just rip it off a tree. Later before the rainy season I will put a dab of epoxy on those spots.

Top Bottom