RS sensor and relay info

Data

Reaction score
I built my first DataCam with a 5v relay given to me by a friend that he had in his shed for a long time. I am using the RS sensor with a Canon PF. The RS sensor is set to alarm mode which gives me a 30 second delay between pictures. This works perfect. I only get one picture every 30 seconds. I read where others were getting multiple pictures with this setup, however It has never happen to me.

Now, I built my second DataCam with the Radio Shack reed relay 275-232 as stated on Jesse's page. Well, with this relay I was getting multiple pictures taken if the sensor was in alarm mode. I started thinking that maybe different types of relays may react differently even if they are 5V relays. So I tried the RS relay 275-240 and it solved the problem. With this relay, I am only getting one picture during the 30 seconds of alarm mode.  So if you have a RS sensor and are getting multiple pictures during the 30 second alarm mode, check your relay.

Archilochus

Reaction score
Hi Data,
This is probably due to different "dropout" or "must release" voltages for the different relays.

Some of my data books show a "dropout" voltage for a typical reed relay (like the RS 275-232) at about 1 volt.  The heavier duty relays (like the RS 275-240) often have a dropout voltage as low as 0.25 volts.

So the voltage of the "alarm output" signal of the RS sensor (the RS# 49-425, right??) probably drops below the 275-232's dropout voltage, but not  that of the 275-240.

But possibly as your battery weakens, or maybe even during  high or low temps, your heavier duty relays might behave differently, causing multiple pics - something to look out for.
Also - that relay is on for 30 seconds for each pic, right?  If so, you're going to go through batts faster as the 275-240 uses about 4.5 times more power than the 232-275.

Good Luck!,
Archilochus

Latest Posts

Top Bottom