RS Sensor

GeorgiaHunter

Reaction score
I brought my cam out of the woods to test it on the deer in my backyard since I seemed to be getting very few pics. I watched 2 sets of deer stand right in front of the cam (15 feet away) and no trigger. When I do walk tests it seems to be less sensitive than it was was originally. It used to pick movement at 30 feet. It seems to be intermittent beyond 10 feet now.

Has anyone had similar issues? Is this the first sign of battery weakness? I still have 9 volts and the test light is bright. I am thinking the soaking it got from the original box I had it in may have caused more damage than I originally thought. The speaker output died after the soaking.

deerdad

Reaction score
It may have been said once somewhere but which way is
better for mounting the Radio Shack sensor,
vertical or horizontal? I just went to my local RS
and they said they would have one for me in a couple
of days. Is there any difference in range one way or
the other?

Greg

swampfox

Reaction score
i mounted mine horizontal. it works great and leaves a little more space for the cam.

shrtcirkt

Reaction score
This really isnt an option. To operate correctly it needs to be mounted horizontaly.

TNDEERHUNTER

Reaction score
Horizontal is how I mounted all 5 of mine.They work just fine out to about 50'.

deerdad

Reaction score
OK thanks. It must say in the RS directions but I
haven't used this sensor yet so I wasn't sure.
Are you using it in the nine volt or have you changed
the relay for 6 volt? I like the idea of the 9 for
size and convenience. I have seen the chart for rough
hrs. for the MS 20 but how about the RS sensor?

TNDEERHUNTER

Reaction score
deerdad, I use the RS(P/N 275-232) 5VDC REED RELAY SPST on all of mine with a 9 volt Battery. I have been through 4 rolls of 24 exp. film and I am still using the same battery.
Hope this helps. LOL

Curtiss

Reaction score
Because of the view of the fresnal lense, It should be mounted  horizontal. If you mount it vertical, the infrared won't split the lines right. This may not let you reach as far as with it horizontal.  Just my thoughts.

deerdad

Reaction score
Thats exactly what I wanted to know.I have the other
parts I'm just waiting for the sensor.

Greg

homer

Reaction score
What would happen if you mounted the sensor vertical and installed the fresnal lens horizontal?Would this pick up as if the the sensor was horizontal?

Curtiss

Reaction score
Hey Homer,
   If you look at the sensor, that is on the board of the RS, you will see that the lense is rectangle, and not square. It does make a difference. The lines on the sensor split the signal on the lines of the pir. This is why the focus of the distance of the sensor to the frensal lense becomes a factor.

(Edited by Curtiss at 10:46 am on Feb. 24, 2002)

davered1

Reaction score
I am going to put myself out on a rope to get hung now.

When I started building them I put the pir in can VERTICALLY. I tried both ways and found I got more centered pics with the pir(vertically) and older AF(FASTER FLASH). With the PF it might not work as well because I have noticed a huge dif in flash times between cameras.I would recommend if you are using the older AF you try VERTICALLY, you don't have to make it permanent just temp and check it out.

Let the trouncing begin

:smiley-thumbs-up:

P.S. I now drill a 3/4 hole and mount pir and lens horizontal but here are only about 3 bars showing (lens)

Gumboyaya

Reaction score
Vertically will work great but will trigger on a smaller horizontal field of motion and a larger vertical field. It would probably be the way to go in some instances to prevent multiple pics of same deer etc. It should also center the pics better because it narrows the horizontal field. I think I'll try it on my next cam. I also get a lot of falses becasue of palmetto movement which vertical mount should also help some.
Gumbo

Tinhorn

Reaction score
As Arch would say, "you bring up an interesting Idea" (or would he say point?)

Here's how the PIR senses motion.  The Fresnel Lens consists of several lenses in a row.  As the animal walks in front of the sensor, it only detects the animal's body heat (infra-red) in one lens at a time.  If you think of the detection as a "Blip on a Rador Screen" you can see that as the animal passes thru the series of lenses, the Sensor will see a series of Blips......  this is what tells the PIR that there is movement,  get it,  sort of like the dots in Morse Code.  (It takes 2 or more "Blips" to trigger the PIR)

so, if the PIR is turned on it's side, (vertical) it "may" only pickup one "Blip" and won't get triggered......

or

it may trigger because surely the animal will cut across 2 lens somehow and when vertical, it'd get the ground activity that a horizantol position mite miss, by looking over it.......

Hmmmmmmmmm      Okay  I have no idea      sorry

davered1

Reaction score
Tinhorn,

When this sensor is placed vertically the bars look like this ((((0)))).

I am under the understanding that all those (( are different lenses and it (pir) has to sense motion between 2 of these.Right?

My cams are extremely sensitive this way, it is easier to walk slow and not get detected with them horizontal.

Iowabowhunter

Reaction score
I will agree with you all, the first one I made seemed to work perfect....Horz. I still think there is so much more you can do with one of these and I plan on exploring all my avenues.

Top Bottom