RS vs MS20

deerdad

Reaction score
Just wondering which sensor is more forgiving over a period
of time. I don't have the confidence to mount either out
of the case so the lens lies flat against the box so I mount
the case hanging off the outside of the box.
I don't want to cut the box for one and find the particular
sensor used won't hold up as well as the other sensor and
have to patch the box and recut for the other.
So far I have only used the MS20 but have a RS sensor that I
can try if it will work out over time.
I'm using the Highlander camo box. At 25-30 dollars I don't
want to ruin it.

Greg

Hill Hopper

Banned
Reaction score
You have to cut a hole in the box anyway, therefore, its 6 of one and a half dozen of the other. Planning the internal layout ahead of time is the key. I have used both PIRs, but I prefer the MS20 my self. Mount the board in a shallow receptical box, and mount the Fresnel lens flat on the inside of the box. Use the low power mods and one of the IC chip timers. If you needed any help there are plenty of us here to help. Just ask the question before you jump into a particular condition.

Creekscout

Reaction score
I have used MS20 in all my cams except the latest one I used a RS. I then set one of each aimed at the same spot on a trail at the same time. When I went back to check the MS20 had 14 pics, the RS had 2. The MS20 were not blanks, I had them developed already and all had animals. The RS has not been developed yet because it still is not filled. The RS is very erratic, one time I walk past it will fire, the next time it usually won't. I think the MS20 is far better especially now that the low power mod has been discovered.

Creekscout

Good Ole Boy

Reaction score
I haven't used the ms20, but talking to some of the other folks here, if you set the timer to 30 seconds for instance,  the MS20 will fire shots every 30 seconds if movement is still present. On the RS pir, once a shot is fired the camera will wait until there has been 30 seconds of no movement to fire the next shot.

I am fairly new here myself and I hope I am not telling you wrong here, but this is what I have come to understand from a few people.

(Edited by Good Ole Boy at 6:55 pm on July 18, 2002)

passgas55

Reaction score
MS20 for me . I mount them on the outside and I cut a hole big enough to pass the hub thru the box and I drill 2 holes thru the housing to bolt the sensor to the box.Silicon around the hub ,a little inside the hub and around the 2 bolt holes and you have a weather tight set up. Remember the MS was made for outside duty but the rs was not. Like ****** said use the low power mods and either the ms built end timer(one more good idea by Jon5ja) or IC timer and you are in good shape .

(Edited by passgas55 at 9:24 pm on July 18, 2002)

tomtruck

Reaction score
i seem to get more blank photos with the rs sensor and better range from the ms-20. i prefer the ms-20

Passthru

Banned
Reaction score
 I have different results,my cam with the MS20 just gave me 24 great shots of the woods and my other cam with the RS sensor gave me 23 shots of deer and turkey.

Hill Hopper

Banned
Reaction score
Passthru, every time I have gotten the infamous "great shots of the woods", and had a time stamp on them, they have all been either within a time frame of 2 hours on 2 mornings or evenings, or all in about an hour on 1 day. Main culpret,

1. Bad setup with rising or setting sun

2. Low battery.

I have used quite a few of the MS20s, and to be honist, the only way I use the RS sensor is if I change out the Fresnel lens.

Once again, my PIR of choice is the MS20

Latest Posts

Top Bottom