RS49

BakersDozen

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone could tell me what resistor controls the delay? thank you for your help..  I used a 10 meg resistor and got a 30 second delay.  It should be around 10 min.  I would think.  

Tinhorn

Reaction score
Welcome BakersDozen, to the site

If I understand your question right, you changed the value of what you thought was the timing resistor but didn't get the expected dalay,  Right?

The timing resistor (R11) is located next to the Black Speaker Wire. It's original value is 1.8 meg  

There will be limits to R11's value and 10M might be too much.  (I'm assuming this is NOT the resistor you changed, by the way)

You may already know this but for others who don't:

What happens to create the time delay, sort of, is this:

Volts gets poured into a storage container,  a capacitor, thru a resistor.  When the capacitor gets full enough, it is timed out.  (this filling of the cap with volts takes a little amount of time and creates the delay)   A resistor's "resistance" determines how fast the capacitor gets filled up.  The bigger it is (in Ohms) the longer it takes to fill the cap.  (Also, the cap can be bigger , more uf's = a bigger container, and that can change the delay too)

The trouble is, the capacitor has leaks in it so some volts leaks out.  If a resistor is too big, the volts leaks out faster than the resistor can pour it in,  it never times out......

Sooooo,  10M mite not overcom the cap's internal leakage, 10 minutes is a long time

Hope this helps

Tinhorn

MCinIL

Inactive
Reaction score
Tinhorn, thanks for explaining that. I never really understood how it worked and you made it clear. Thanks for all your hard work on this board.

Bakers Dozen, welcome to the forum. Hope you get your camera working. You will see many good people here and all the help you need. Hope to see your pics soon. MC.

http://community.webshots.com/user/mcinil

JoelM

Reaction score
Tinhorn,

That was a very good explaination. I even understood that.(that says alot)
Thanks for the lesson.

Joel

BakersDozen

Reaction score
Thank you tinhorn!  I have changed the time delay on the ms20,  With great results.  Like you said I put in a 10 meg, and I expected to get around a ten minute delay. I Put the resistor in the r12 spot, or the r-wrong spot.  I did get a little longer delay though. like 30 seconds.  My plan is to put three resistors in there for a three timer deal.  I'm sure you are right about the 10 minute.  I'll have to cut it back a bit.  I have done it on the ms20 no problem.  The rs49 I'm going bald.  I looked on how to do the rs49 but couldn't find it.  Thank you again

(Edited by BakersDozen at 1:01 pm on June 14, 2002)

(Edited by BakersDozen at 1:19 pm on June 14, 2002)

Brian

Inactive
Reaction score
Tinhorn,

I just finished a class here at work on how to explain things to others.

After reading your explanation I think you should have taught the class instead of the guy we had.

Very nice.

Tinhorn

Reaction score
Thanx for the big red apple on my desk guys.....       <<Big Grin>>

Tinhorn

bat

Reaction score
Tinhorn,
 Thanks I didn't know that and it is interesting to know why/how it works.
Bakersdozen,
 Welcome to the forum.  Go to this link to find out some good data compliments of Tinhorn and others on the RS49...in reference to changing the delay by changing the resistor valve.  To determine the correct resistor for whatever delay you want...multiply 60k X the time for the delay (in seconds) to get the value.  I think I am correct on this, if not someone hit me on head again...I need it every now and then to think straight.  example......40 sec. delay = 40 X 60k which = 2400K or the closest resistor you can find to it.  1.5 minutes = 90 X 60K = 5400K.  Hope this is correct, just don't go over 10,800K or 10.8M (10,800/60 = 180sec. or 3 mins.) The camera will shut down with a delay of over 3 minutes....again someone correct me if I am wrong.  bat
http://www.jesseshuntingpage.com/cgi-bin/i...&topic=1613  
(Edited by bat at 8:12 pm on June 14, 2002)

(Edited by bat at 8:15 pm on June 14, 2002)

vman

Reaction score
This is what I have been using for some time now.  I use six different times and a DIP switch from Radio shack.  The whole timer is less them three bucks.

BakersDozen

Reaction score
Thank you Bat.  I'll use the time calc. method.  I'll be using the Olympus.  One good thing about the camera.  It don't shut down.  That is one thing over the Owl PF.

MBullism

Reaction score
Thanks Tinhorn for the explaination that even I could understand.  The leaky capacitor explains all the loose volts on the top of my desk...

M

Latest Posts

Top Bottom