Rubber shotgun slugs are effective black bear deterrent

db 183

Reaction score
In Sierra County where we camp, they have a bear response team for trouble bears. Included in their arsenal is a paintball gun that is loaded with balls full of Pepper, the kind used on animals.

I have always wanted to see that one in action...well maybe not if I was the one cornered by the bear...

inchr48

Forever Hunting
Reaction score
231 MPH = 338.8 FPS

I still don't want to be hit by anything shot out of a gun. If I was in bear country, I think the rubber bullets would be backed up by the real deal.

Redneck75

Reaction score
I think the rubber bullets, pepper spray, etc are great deterrents for a curious bear (black or grizzly). Should be real effective on the camp-robbing blackies especially. I still believe they're absolutely useless in a full-blown charge scenario when a bear is hell-bent on attacking.

DFG_Bear

Reaction score
These aversion techniques (rubber slugs, beanbags, etc) are meant to avert the naive bear from a certain behavior. They are used as training aids to teach bears how society wants them to behave (stay away from kids, out of trash cans, etc). These methods are not meant to deter or ward off an attack. Furthermore, once a bear becomes conditioned to a certain food source (e.g. trashy campsites), they usually cannot be trained to avoid them.

Lives2Hunt

Reaction score
+1 Redneck and Mark

Its purpose is to train a bear that is around camps, schools, homes, what Mark said, not in the wilderness on a spring hike when you get into a little trouble. It wont make an angry sow turn and go another way, esp. if you walk in on a little teaching lesson with a little one or two around.

Just remember, you dont have to out run the bear, you just have to out run the other person!:lol bashing sign:

mainesafari

Reaction score
I would have to assume that even a rubber slug would be potetionally lethat at very close range. Is there a minimum distance you have to be from the animal to safely use them?

Top Bottom